• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

States that require you to notify officers when stopped

reefteach

imported post

On another forum I was inspired to look up the "duty to notify" laws of each state. There are very few states with this rediculous provision, and unfortunately, I live in one of them.

Ifone iscarrying a concealed weapon, or is driving in a car whith a loaded handgun, the following statesspecify that you must notifyLEOs if stopped for official business:

1.Arkansas
2.Louisiana
3.michigan
4.Nebraska
5.North Carolina
6.Ohio
7.Oklahoma
8.South Carolina
9.Texas
10.Utah

Here in Ohio, open carriers do notneed to notify when on foot, and I am assuming that the same is true in other states. After all, it is out there in the open where everyone can see it. Maybe some people from the above states could chime in.

G

Gentleman Ranker

imported post

Thanks for this.

I don't live in any of those places, but it's good information to have.

regards,

GR

Dustin

imported post

Yes but let's remember something, there's always MORE to the law than just saying this. You also didn't list the LAWS for each state so I'm not sure who is willing to just Trust your word for it. I'm not, no offense.

For instance;

In Louisiana, Your Vehicle is an extension of your home. So I can have a CHL, and have my weapon in my Glove box, and never have to tell the officer anything.

When LEO's go to your house, you don't tell them everything you have.

What yourlist represents is simply that if you have your weapon ON YOU/Concealed, during the traffic stop,you must tell the officer.

So when you get pulled over just toss it in the Console if you don't want to tell him your packingor Just lay it on the seat where he can see it.

akpoff

Founder's Club Member
imported post

According to my attorney, in Texas if you're carrying in your vehicle pursuant to the "Castle Doctrine" you don't have to notify when stopped. In fact his advice was not to mention it at all. IIRC his take on the law was that the "Castle Doctrine" provisions override CHL when in your car because, like Dustin's situation in LA, a motor vehicle is like your home and you have a right to be armed.

Of course carrying under the CD makes for some interesting situations when you stop somewhere, like a store. You need to disarm before stepping out of the vehicle. If I understand it correctly you can't even walk to the back of the car to put your gun in the trunk.

Also, since CD requires that the weapon not be in plain view you have to be careful about letting others see it while you lock it up.

Lastly, the law does read "motor vehicle" which I take to exclude bicycles.

Despite those caveats I'm glad we passed the "Castle Doctrine" law. It certainly makes it a lot safer to be out and about in your car even without a CHL.

--Aaron

Caption Jack

imported post

ARKANSAS, does not require CHL permitholders to notify officer.Some permit holdersdo any-way , but not wise to SHOUT i have a gun, as you only need to hand them your CHL permit with DL upon traffic stop ,justto be polite. LEO officers have a dangerous enough job, alwaystreat them with respect. JMHO, Captain Jack

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dustin wrote:
So when you get pulled over just toss it in the Console if you don't want to tell him your packingor Just lay it on the seat where he can see it.
I think this is very bad advice. Handling your gun while being pulled over is a really good way to be drawn on and maybe shot.

Fumbling around with your gun, holster, and console or glove compartment while trying to safely pull over is probably not going to get anyone a gold star for safe gun handling either.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Your list is only partially correct as regards Louisiana. A concealed license holder must identify himself as such in any encounter with LEO and must state whether or not he has a firearm concealed on his person. He does not have to mention a gun that is somewhere in the car, but he is required to submit to a patdown by the LEO whether carrying or not. If one can discretely remove the firearm in the car before stopping, then that eliminates having to say there's a weapon in the car, but if it cannot be discretely removed, don't take the chance of your movement being misconstrued and then end up on the receiving end of the LEO's sidearm. The law requires the LEO to return your firearm to you unless he arrests you for some legitimate charge; so don't sweat having to tell him about it.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Gee, I have never been notified by an LEO that it was an
Official Buisiness stop. They just go right into "do you know ...."

Seems like the old 'lawful detention' situation to me.

Dustin

imported post

bobernet wrote:
Dustin wrote:
I think this is very bad advice. Handling your gun while being pulled over is a really good way to be drawn on and maybe shot.

Fumbling around with your gun, holster, and console or glove compartment while trying to safely pull over is probably not going to get anyone a gold star for safe gun handling either.

Right, b/c LEO's have X-Ray vision now. :shock::lol:

If you can't draw your weapon out of it's holster and put in in your center console without crashing, than your right. It's probably not a good idea.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

reefteach wrote:
On another forum I was inspired to look up the "duty to notify" laws of each state. There are very few states with this ridiculous provision, and unfortunately, I live in one of them.

Ifone iscarrying a concealed weapon, or is driving in a car with a loaded handgun, the following statesspecify that you must notifyLEOs if stopped for official business:

1.Arkansas
2.Louisiana
3.Michigan
4.Nebraska
5.North Carolina
6.Ohio
7.Oklahoma
8.South Carolina
9.Texas
10.Utah

Here in Ohio, open carriers do notneed to notify when on foot, and I am assuming that the same is true in other states. After all, it is out there in the open where everyone can see it. Maybe some people from the above states could chime in.
In Michigan, you must immediately notify if you're concealing (traffic stop and on foot).