Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35

Thread: Montclair/Dumfries OC Dinner

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Montclair, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    89

    Post imported post

    We are planning an OC dinner for THIS weekend on either Saturday (7/19) or Sunday (7/20). Personally, Sunday afternoon works better for me. We are considering either Brother's Encore in the Bloom shopping center at Rt 234 and Waterway or the Montclair Family Restaurant on Rt. 234 near I-95.

    Since this will be my first organized OC dinner, how do these normally work? Should we be in touch with the restaurant prior to arriving? Should we all meet in the parking lot and walk in together?

    Preferences on the restaurant?
    What time?
    Who can make it?


  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ruther Glen, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    39

    Post imported post

    Well crap man. I've been hoping for a very local dinner, but this whole weekend is booked for me. I'll behouse hunting - in Caroline County. Hopefully I can actually make it to something sometime soon...

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Montclair, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    89

    Post imported post

    ZBBMcFate wrote:
    Well crap man. I've been hoping for a very local dinner, but this whole weekend is booked for me. I'll behouse hunting - in Caroline County. Hopefully I can actually make it to something sometime soon...
    Hey! I'm flexible. We can bump it a week or even do another one. :P

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ruther Glen, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    39

    Post imported post

    Just for the record, I've OC'ed to both places with no issues. The calamari is much better at MFR.

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran joeamt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Posts
    211

    Post imported post

    Montclair Family restaurant is my choice! Love the lamb! and I have carried there everytime i have ate.

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682

    Post imported post

    Harvdog wrote:
    We are planning an OC dinner for THIS weekend on either Saturday (7/19) or Sunday (7/20). Personally, Sunday afternoon works better for me. We are considering either Brother's Encore in the Bloom shopping center at Rt 234 and Waterway or the Montclair Family Restaurant on Rt. 234 near I-95.

    Since this will be my first organized OC dinner, how do these normally work? Should we be in touch with the restaurant prior to arriving? Should we all meet in the parking lot and walk in together?

    Preferences on the restaurant?
    What time?
    Who can make it?
    If you are going to do it Sunday I might be able to come up from Richmond to join you.

    Take a tip from the NoVa and Richmond folks - just make sure one or two have gone before and can report no problems (good recon is done quitely). Call the place ahead of time with your estimated time of arrival and head count (maybe + 2 extra) and that you would like 1 large table if possible - no need to discuss the fact that you are a group of OC-ers, Rotarians, or the local high school chess club alimni. :P

    Then show up somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 minutes early so you can do last-minute head count and let the greeter know if you will need an extra table pulled up, or that they can free up some seats. Keep your eyes open for the :shock:, , :?, :X, , , :what:, , and :celebratelooks that you will get on the way to your table(s). Sit down, chat, order, and eat. Think about if you really want that dessert.

    Remember to tip your server. Watch out for the "automatic" tip added to your bill. You may want to bump that amount up, or not It's up to you.

    The final phase is the after-dinner gathering outside, where everybody again goes over the food, the conversation, the looks you got, and any stories of other diners who asked questions or gave dirty looks, lectures, or rude gestures.

    A few folks with camera (real film, didital, phone) means you get pictures to post. There are several free hosting places, and if you want you can make the album "private" so only your group can view the pics.

    Sorry to be so detailed, but thought you might prefer "Dining for Dummies" instead ofjust do it".

    stay safe.

    skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Montclair, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    89

    Post imported post

    skidmark wrote:
    Harvdog wrote:
    We are planning an OC dinner for THIS weekend on either Saturday (7/19) or Sunday (7/20). Personally, Sunday afternoon works better for me. We are considering either Brother's Encore in the Bloom shopping center at Rt 234 and Waterway or the Montclair Family Restaurant on Rt. 234 near I-95.

    Since this will be my first organized OC dinner, how do these normally work? Should we be in touch with the restaurant prior to arriving? Should we all meet in the parking lot and walk in together?

    Preferences on the restaurant?
    What time?
    Who can make it?
    If you are going to do it Sunday I might be able to come up from Richmond to join you.

    Take a tip from the NoVa and Richmond folks - just make sure one or two have gone before and can report no problems (good recon is done quitely). Call the place ahead of time with your estimated time of arrival and head count (maybe + 2 extra) and that you would like 1 large table if possible - no need to discuss the fact that you are a group of OC-ers, Rotarians, or the local high school chess club alimni. :P

    Then show up somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 minutes early so you can do last-minute head count and let the greeter know if you will need an extra table pulled up, or that they can free up some seats. Keep your eyes open for the :shock:, , :?, :X, , , :what:, , and :celebratelooks that you will get on the way to your table(s). Sit down, chat, order, and eat. Think about if you really want that dessert.

    Remember to tip your server. Watch out for the "automatic" tip added to your bill. You may want to bump that amount up, or not It's up to you.

    The final phase is the after-dinner gathering outside, where everybody again goes over the food, the conversation, the looks you got, and any stories of other diners who asked questions or gave dirty looks, lectures, or rude gestures.

    A few folks with camera (real film, didital, phone) means you get pictures to post. There are several free hosting places, and if you want you can make the album "private" so only your group can view the pics.

    Sorry to be so detailed, but thought you might prefer "Dining for Dummies" instead ofjust do it".

    stay safe.

    skidmark
    Wow! Great information. I'm ready to do this and I'll take the action to contact the place before we arrive.

    So, let's do Sunday afternoon and if there are no objections, let's do Montclair Family.

    Headcount please....I'll start: 1

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    146

    Post imported post

    give me the venue and make that two.,.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I just need a physical street address..!!!!!

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Montclair, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    89

    Post imported post

    marine2000 wrote:
    give me the venue and make that two.,.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I just need a physical street address..!!!!!
    Here is the address:
    Montclair Family Restaurant
    1
    7001 Dumfries Rd, Dumfries, VA

    We also need to pick a time...maybe 6pm?

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Dumfries, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    243

    Post imported post

    Harvdog wrote:
    marine2000 wrote:
    give me the venue and make that two.,.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I just need a physical street address..!!!!!
    Here is the address:
    Montclair Family Restaurant
    1
    7001 Dumfries Rd, Dumfries, VA

    We also need to pick a time...maybe 6pm?
    I'll be in Fredericksburg this Sunday taking my dad out for his birthday. Sorry, I'm gonna miss this 1st event!! Give me a time/date/loc for the next one and I'll be there.

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682

    Post imported post

    Harvdog wrote:
    marine2000 wrote:
    give me the venue and make that two.,.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I just need a physical street address..!!!!!
    Here is the address:
    Montclair Family Restaurant
    1
    7001 Dumfries Rd, Dumfries, VA

    We also need to pick a time...maybe 6pm?
    Glad you found the info useful. Seriously, the "issue" of us OC-ing is a non-issue, in spite of all the chatter at http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/13373.html.

    Once you have a few "regular" places, the fun part is trying to convince someone else to scout out a place you may not have been, without sounding like you are trying to convince them to be the guinia pig.

    Put me down for a definate maybe - seems now the biggest questions for me are 1) getting in my nap (not a problem ) and 2) the price of gas and how much I use between now & then. If I come I'll have my camera with me - anyone who does not want to be photographed please wear your "Hello, My Name Is ____ and I'm in the Witness Protection Program" nametag.

    stay safe.

    skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    146

    Post imported post

    Skidmark....!!!!!



    I have read alot of your forum comments.....!!!!!



    I sense negativity from you alot.....or maybe you are just being practical..!!!!!!!!

    Which one..????

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Montclair, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    89

    Post imported post

    I'm bummed that some of you guys can't make it on Sunday. Given this and the low headcount so far, should we bump this to next Saturday maybe?

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Manassas, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    399

    Post imported post

    No matter what weekend you do it, someone won't be able to come. It's just the nature of the beast. Pick a date and keep it, then do another one .

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    dumries, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    321

    Post imported post

    Sunday works for me and the miss's, I have a class at 11:00am in Chantilly that should last about 4 hrs. That should put me back in Montclair around 4:00,4:30 so if the 5:00 hr works, I'm there.

    I will not be able to post after about 4:00pm today but I will be able to read any time or location change.

    So keep me posted(pun intended)


  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Dumfries, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    243

    Post imported post

    xd.40 wrote:
    No matter what weekend you do it, someone won't be able to come. It's just the nature of the beast. Pick a date and keep it, then do another one .
    Agreed. If nothing else, it'll build up the local esprit de corps for the Montclair/Dumfries/Manassas contingent.

    I'm also all for choosing local hole in the wall places to support the local community vice larger chains but I'll be going mainly for the company less so the food.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Montclair, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    89

    Post imported post

    Xeni wrote:
    xd.40 wrote:
    No matter what weekend you do it, someone won't be able to come. It's just the nature of the beast. Pick a date and keep it, then do another one .
    Agreed. If nothing else, it'll build up the local esprit de corps for the Montclair/Dumfries/Manassas contingent.

    I'm also all for choosing local hole in the wall places to support the local community vice larger chains but I'll be going mainly for the company less so the food.
    I completely agree. We'll never be able to get everyone all the time. So...

    We're on for THIS Sunday (7/20) @ 6pm at Montclair Family. My wife and I will be there a bit early. I'll probably wearing my black NRA polo shirt and, of course, my XD.

  18. #18
    Regular Member possumboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dumfries, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,090

    Post imported post

    As always, my arrival depends on the kids. I will try, but I have learned not to make plans.

    Montclair Family Resturant is one of the few places I can bring my daughter to eat. Plus the wife unit loves the Greek Salad.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    dumries, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    321

    Post imported post

    Sunday,6:00pm Montclair Family Resturant,Polo and a 1911 :celebrate

    Sounds like a plan.

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682

    Post imported post

    marine2000 wrote:
    Skidmark....!!!!!



    I have read alot of your forum comments.....!!!!!



    I sense negativity from you alot.....or maybe you are just being practical..!!!!!!!!

    Which one..????
    Practical.

    I do not suffer fools well. I have poor social skills after round one when dealing with them.

    However, you will find me a good friend and a loyal ally. As you have noted, I am also skilled at being a decent enemy.

    stay safe.

    skidmark

    PS - Thank you very much for the opportunity to have this discussion publically.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  21. #21
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627

    Post imported post

    marine2000 wrote:
    Skidmark....!!!!!



    I have read alot of your forum comments.....!!!!!



    I sense negativity from you alot.....or maybe you are just being practical..!!!!!!!!

    Which one..????
    Actually he's very a laid back, sensitive and gentle soul that wishes only warm and fuzzy feelings for everybody.

    Truth of the matter, he is our go to guy for accurate, detailed and well researched data, documents,cites, links etc. - long time OCer with much practical ( been there done that) experience. Very dry sense of humor, capable of barbed sarcasim and will cut to the chase early.

    But negative - not hardly unless someone is seeing only the reply/retort and not the question. Why he is actually quite charming.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  22. #22
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765

    Post imported post

    skidmark wrote:
    <snip> Call the place ahead of time with your estimated time of arrival and head count (maybe + 2 extra) and that you would like 1 large table if possible - no need to discuss the fact that you are a group of OC-ers, Rotarians, or the local high school chess club alimni. :P

    Then show up somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 minutes early so you can do last-minute head count and let the greeter know if you will need an extra table pulled up, or that they can free up some seats. Keep your eyes open for the :shock:, , :?, :X, , , :what:, , and :celebratelooks that you will get on the way to your table(s). Sit down, chat, order, and eat. Think about if you really want that dessert.

    Remember to tip your server. Watch out for the "automatic" tip added to your bill. You may want to bump that amount up, or not It's up to you.

    The final phase is the after-dinner gathering outside, where everybody again goes over the food, the conversation, the looks you got, and any stories of other diners who asked questions or gave dirty looks, lectures, or rude gestures.

    A few folks with camera (real film, didital, phone) means you get pictures to post. There are several free hosting places, and if you want you can make the album "private" so only your group can view the pics.

    <snip>
    Skidmark, this would make a good "Dining For Dummies" post for the General forum - perhaps even stickied - as our numbers and events grow so rapidly.


    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Montclair, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    89

    Post imported post

    Tess wrote:
    skidmark wrote:
    <snip> Call the place ahead of time with your estimated time of arrival and head count (maybe + 2 extra) and that you would like 1 large table if possible - no need to discuss the fact that you are a group of OC-ers, Rotarians, or the local high school chess club alimni. :P

    Then show up somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 minutes early so you can do last-minute head count and let the greeter know if you will need an extra table pulled up, or that they can free up some seats. Keep your eyes open for the :shock:, , :?, :X, , , :what:, , and :celebratelooks that you will get on the way to your table(s). Sit down, chat, order, and eat. Think about if you really want that dessert.

    Remember to tip your server. Watch out for the "automatic" tip added to your bill. You may want to bump that amount up, or not It's up to you.

    The final phase is the after-dinner gathering outside, where everybody again goes over the food, the conversation, the looks you got, and any stories of other diners who asked questions or gave dirty looks, lectures, or rude gestures.

    A few folks with camera (real film, didital, phone) means you get pictures to post. There are several free hosting places, and if you want you can make the album "private" so only your group can view the pics.

    <snip>
    Skidmark, this would make a good "Dining For Dummies" post for the General forum - perhaps even stickied - as our numbers and events grow so rapidly.

    Great suggestion. This is good information.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Montclair, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    89

    Post imported post

    I've already contacted the restaurant and they will just need a final headcount sometime before we arrive. Here's what I have so far:

    1st freedom 2
    possumboy 2+kids
    skidmark 1
    Harvdog 2

  25. #25
    Campaign Veteran joeamt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Posts
    211

    Post imported post

    Harvdog wrote:
    I've already contacted the restaurant and they will just need a final headcount sometime before we arrive. Here's what I have so far:

    1st freedom 2
    possumboy 2+kids
    skidmark 1
    Harvdog 2
    I will most likely be there too. I live almost within walking distance of the restaurant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •