Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Montclair/Dumfries OC Dinner

Post imported post

We are planning an OC dinner for THIS weekend on either Saturday (7/19) or Sunday (7/20). Personally, Sunday afternoon works better for me. We are considering either Brother's Encore in the Bloom shopping center at Rt 234 and Waterway or the Montclair Family Restaurant on Rt. 234 near I-95.

Since this will be my first organized OC dinner, how do these normally work? Should we be in touch with the restaurant prior to arriving? Should we all meet in the parking lot and walk in together?

Preferences on the restaurant?
    What time?
    Who can make it?

Post imported post

Well crap man. I've been hoping for a very local dinner, but this whole weekend is booked for me. I'll behouse hunting - in Caroline County. Hopefully I can actually make it to something sometime soon...

Post imported post

ZBBMcFate wrote:
    Well crap man. I've been hoping for a very local dinner, but this whole weekend is booked for me. I'll behouse hunting - in Caroline County. Hopefully I can actually make it to something sometime soon...
    Hey! I'm flexible. We can bump it a week or even do another one. :P

Post imported post

Just for the record, I've OC'ed to both places with no issues. The calamari is much better at MFR.

Post imported post

Montclair Family restaurant is my choice! Love the lamb! and I have carried there everytime i have ate.

Post imported post

Harvdog wrote:
    We are planning an OC dinner for THIS weekend on either Saturday (7/19) or Sunday (7/20). Personally, Sunday afternoon works better for me. We are considering either Brother's Encore in the Bloom shopping center at Rt 234 and Waterway or the Montclair Family Restaurant on Rt. 234 near I-95.

Since this will be my first organized OC dinner, how do these normally work? Should we be in touch with the restaurant prior to arriving? Should we all meet in the parking lot and walk in together?

What time?
    Who can make it?
    If you are going to do it Sunday I might be able to come up from Richmond to join you.

Take a tip from the NoVa and Richmond folks - just make sure one or two have gone before and can report no problems (good recon is done quitely). Call the place ahead of time with your estimated time of arrival and head count (maybe + 2 extra) and that you would like 1 large table if possible - no need to discuss the fact that you are a group of OC-ers, Rotarians, or the local high school chess club alimni. :P

Then show up somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 minutes early so you can do last-minute head count and let the greeter know if you will need an extra table pulled up, or that they can free up some seats. Keep your eyes open for the :shock:, , :?, :X, , , :what:, , and :celebratelooks that you will get on the way to your table(s). Sit down, chat, order, and eat. Think about if you really want that dessert.

Remember to tip your server. Watch out for the "automatic" tip added to your bill. You may want to bump that amount up, or not It's up to you.

The final phase is the after-dinner gathering outside, where everybody again goes over the food, the conversation, the looks you got, and any stories of other diners who asked questions or gave dirty looks, lectures, or rude gestures.

A few folks with camera (real film, didital, phone) means you get pictures to post. There are several free hosting places, and if you want you can make the album "private" so only your group can view the pics.

Sorry to be so detailed, but thought you might prefer "Dining for Dummies" instead ofjust do it".

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:
    Harvdog wrote:

What time?
    Who can make it?
    If you are going to do it Sunday I might be able to come up from Richmond to join you.

Take a tip from the NoVa and Richmond folks - just make sure one or two have gone before and can report no problems (good recon is done quitely). Call the place ahead of time with your estimated time of arrival and head count (maybe + 2 extra) and that you would like 1 large table if possible - no need to discuss the fact that you are a group of OC-ers, Rotarians, or the local high school chess club alimni. :P

Then show up somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 minutes early so you can do last-minute head count and let the greeter know if you will need an extra table pulled up, or that they can free up some seats. Keep your eyes open for the :shock:, , :?, :X, , , :what:, , and :celebratelooks that you will get on the way to your table(s). Sit down, chat, order, and eat. Think about if you really want that dessert.

Remember to tip your server. Watch out for the "automatic" tip added to your bill. You may want to bump that amount up, or not It's up to you.

The final phase is the after-dinner gathering outside, where everybody again goes over the food, the conversation, the looks you got, and any stories of other diners who asked questions or gave dirty looks, lectures, or rude gestures.

A few folks with camera (real film, didital, phone) means you get pictures to post. There are several free hosting places, and if you want you can make the album "private" so only your group can view the pics.

Sorry to be so detailed, but thought you might prefer "Dining for Dummies" instead ofjust do it".

stay safe.

skidmark
    Wow! Great information. I'm ready to do this and I'll take the action to contact the place before we arrive.

So, let's do Sunday afternoon and if there are no objections, let's do Montclair Family.

Headcount please....I'll start: 1

Post imported post

give me the venue and make that two.,.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just need a physical street address..!!!!!

Post imported post

marine2000 wrote:

Here is the address:
    Montclair Family Restaurant
    7001 Dumfries Rd, Dumfries, VA

We also need to pick a time...maybe 6pm?

Post imported post

Harvdog wrote:
    marine2000 wrote:

Here is the address:

I'll be in Fredericksburg this Sunday taking my dad out for his birthday. Sorry, I'm gonna miss this 1st event!! Give me a time/date/loc for the next one and I'll be there.

Post imported post

Harvdog wrote:
    marine2000 wrote:

Here is the address:

Glad you found the info useful. Seriously, the "issue" of us OC-ing is a non-issue, in spite of all the chatter at http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/13373.html.

Once you have a few "regular" places, the fun part is trying to convince someone else to scout out a place you may not have been, without sounding like you are trying to convince them to be the guinia pig.

Put me down for a definate maybe - seems now the biggest questions for me are 1) getting in my nap (not a problem ) and 2) the price of gas and how much I use between now & then. If I come I'll have my camera with me - anyone who does not want to be photographed please wear your "Hello, My Name Is ____ and I'm in the Witness Protection Program" nametag.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

Skidmark....!!!!!

I have read alot of your forum comments.....!!!!!

I sense negativity from you alot.....or maybe you are just being practical..!!!!!!!!

Which one..????

Post imported post

I'm bummed that some of you guys can't make it on Sunday. Given this and the low headcount so far, should we bump this to next Saturday maybe?

Post imported post

No matter what weekend you do it, someone won't be able to come. It's just the nature of the beast. Pick a date and keep it, then do another one .

Post imported post

Sunday works for me and the miss's, I have a class at 11:00am in Chantilly that should last about 4 hrs. That should put me back in Montclair around 4:00,4:30 so if the 5:00 hr works, I'm there.

I will not be able to post after about 4:00pm today but I will be able to read any time or location change.

So keep me posted(pun intended)

Post imported post

xd.40 wrote:
    No matter what weekend you do it, someone won't be able to come. It's just the nature of the beast. Pick a date and keep it, then do another one .
    Agreed. If nothing else, it'll build up the local esprit de corps for the Montclair/Dumfries/Manassas contingent.

I'm also all for choosing local hole in the wall places to support the local community vice larger chains but I'll be going mainly for the company less so the food.

Post imported post

Xeni wrote:
    xd.40 wrote:
    Agreed. If nothing else, it'll build up the local esprit de corps for the Montclair/Dumfries/Manassas contingent.

I'm also all for choosing local hole in the wall places to support the local community vice larger chains but I'll be going mainly for the company less so the food.
    I completely agree. We'll never be able to get everyone all the time. So...

We're on for THIS Sunday (7/20) @ 6pm at Montclair Family. My wife and I will be there a bit early. I'll probably wearing my black NRA polo shirt and, of course, my XD.

Post imported post

As always, my arrival depends on the kids. I will try, but I have learned not to make plans.

Montclair Family Resturant is one of the few places I can bring my daughter to eat. Plus the wife unit loves the Greek Salad.

Post imported post

Sunday,6:00pm Montclair Family Resturant,Polo and a 1911 :celebrate

Sounds like a plan.

Post imported post

marine2000 wrote:
    Skidmark....!!!!!

I sense negativity from you alot.....or maybe you are just being practical..!!!!!!!!

Which one..????
    Practical.

I do not suffer fools well. I have poor social skills after round one when dealing with them.

However, you will find me a good friend and a loyal ally. As you have noted, I am also skilled at being a decent enemy.

stay safe.

skidmark

PS - Thank you very much for the opportunity to have this discussion publically.

----Allahpundit

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

marine2000 wrote:
    Skidmark....!!!!!

Which one..????
    Actually he's very a laid back, sensitive and gentle soul that wishes only warm and fuzzy feelings for everybody.

Truth of the matter, he is our go to guy for accurate, detailed and well researched data, documents,cites, links etc. - long time OCer with much practical ( been there done that) experience. Very dry sense of humor, capable of barbed sarcasim and will cut to the chase early.

But negative - not hardly unless someone is seeing only the reply/retort and not the question. Why he is actually quite charming.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:
    <snip> Call the place ahead of time with your estimated time of arrival and head count (maybe + 2 extra) and that you would like 1 large table if possible - no need to discuss the fact that you are a group of OC-ers, Rotarians, or the local high school chess club alimni. :P

<snip>
    Skidmark, this would make a good "Dining For Dummies" post for the General forum - perhaps even stickied - as our numbers and events grow so rapidly.

Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

Tess wrote:
    skidmark wrote:
    <snip> Call the place ahead of time with your estimated time of arrival and head count (maybe + 2 extra) and that you would like 1 large table if possible - no need to discuss the fact that you are a group of OC-ers, Rotarians, or the local high school chess club alimni. :P

<snip>
    Skidmark, this would make a good "Dining For Dummies" post for the General forum - perhaps even stickied - as our numbers and events grow so rapidly.

Great suggestion. This is good information.

Post imported post

I've already contacted the restaurant and they will just need a final headcount sometime before we arrive. Here's what I have so far:

1st freedom 2
    possumboy 2+kids
    skidmark 1
    Harvdog 2

Post imported post

Harvdog wrote:
    I've already contacted the restaurant and they will just need a final headcount sometime before we arrive. Here's what I have so far:

1st freedom 2
    possumboy 2+kids
    skidmark 1
    Harvdog 2
    I will most likely be there too. I live almost within walking distance of the restaurant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast