• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Montclair/Dumfries OC Dinner

Harvdog

imported post

We are planning an OC dinner for THIS weekend on either Saturday (7/19) or Sunday (7/20). Personally, Sunday afternoon works better for me. We are considering either Brother's Encore in the Bloom shopping center at Rt 234 and Waterway or the Montclair Family Restaurant on Rt. 234 near I-95.

Since this will be my first organized OC dinner, how do these normally work? Should we be in touch with the restaurant prior to arriving? Should we all meet in the parking lot and walk in together?

Preferences on the restaurant?
What time?
Who can make it?

ZBBMcFate

imported post

Well crap man. I've been hoping for a very local dinner, but this whole weekend is booked for me. I'll behouse hunting - in Caroline County. Hopefully I can actually make it to something sometime soon...

Harvdog

imported post

ZBBMcFate wrote:
Well crap man. I've been hoping for a very local dinner, but this whole weekend is booked for me. I'll behouse hunting - in Caroline County. Hopefully I can actually make it to something sometime soon...
Hey! I'm flexible. We can bump it a week or even do another one. :p:cool::D

joeamt

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Montclair Family restaurant is my choice! Love the lamb! and I have carried there everytime i have ate.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Harvdog wrote:
We are planning an OC dinner for THIS weekend on either Saturday (7/19) or Sunday (7/20). Personally, Sunday afternoon works better for me. We are considering either Brother's Encore in the Bloom shopping center at Rt 234 and Waterway or the Montclair Family Restaurant on Rt. 234 near I-95.

Since this will be my first organized OC dinner, how do these normally work? Should we be in touch with the restaurant prior to arriving? Should we all meet in the parking lot and walk in together?

What time?
Who can make it?

If you are going to do it Sunday I might be able to come up from Richmond to join you.

Take a tip from the NoVa and Richmond folks - just make sure one or two have gone before and can report no problems (good recon is done quitely). Call the place ahead of time with your estimated time of arrival and head count (maybe + 2 extra) and that you would like 1 large table if possible - no need to discuss the fact that you are a group of OC-ers, Rotarians, or the local high school chess club alimni. :p

Then show up somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 minutes early so you can do last-minute head count and let the greeter know if you will need an extra table pulled up, or that they can free up some seats. Keep your eyes open for the :shock:, :(, :?, :X, ;), :), :what:, :uhoh:, :cry:and :celebratelooks that you will get on the way to your table(s). Sit down, chat, order, and eat. Think about if you really want that dessert.

Remember to tip your server. Watch out for the "automatic" tip added to your bill. You may want to bump that amount up, or not It's up to you.

The final phase is the after-dinner gathering outside, where everybody again goes over the food, the conversation, the looks you got, and any stories of other diners who asked questions or gave dirty looks, lectures, or rude gestures.

A few folks with camera (real film, didital, phone) means you get pictures to post. There are several free hosting places, and if you want you can make the album "private" so only your group can view the pics.

Sorry to be so detailed, but thought you might prefer "Dining for Dummies" instead ofjust do it". ;)

stay safe.

skidmark

Harvdog

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Harvdog wrote:

What time?
Who can make it?

If you are going to do it Sunday I might be able to come up from Richmond to join you.

Take a tip from the NoVa and Richmond folks - just make sure one or two have gone before and can report no problems (good recon is done quitely). Call the place ahead of time with your estimated time of arrival and head count (maybe + 2 extra) and that you would like 1 large table if possible - no need to discuss the fact that you are a group of OC-ers, Rotarians, or the local high school chess club alimni. :p

Then show up somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 minutes early so you can do last-minute head count and let the greeter know if you will need an extra table pulled up, or that they can free up some seats. Keep your eyes open for the :shock:, :(, :?, :X, ;), :), :what:, :uhoh:, :cry:and :celebratelooks that you will get on the way to your table(s). Sit down, chat, order, and eat. Think about if you really want that dessert.

Remember to tip your server. Watch out for the "automatic" tip added to your bill. You may want to bump that amount up, or not It's up to you.

The final phase is the after-dinner gathering outside, where everybody again goes over the food, the conversation, the looks you got, and any stories of other diners who asked questions or gave dirty looks, lectures, or rude gestures.

A few folks with camera (real film, didital, phone) means you get pictures to post. There are several free hosting places, and if you want you can make the album "private" so only your group can view the pics.

Sorry to be so detailed, but thought you might prefer "Dining for Dummies" instead ofjust do it". ;)

stay safe.

skidmark
Wow! Great information. I'm ready to do this and I'll take the action to contact the place before we arrive.

So, let's do Sunday afternoon and if there are no objections, let's do Montclair Family.

Headcount please....I'll start: 1

Harvdog

imported post

marine2000 wrote:
give me the venue and make that two.,.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just need a physical street address..!!!!!
Here is the address:
Montclair Family Restaurant
7001 Dumfries Rd, Dumfries, VA

We also need to pick a time...maybe 6pm?

Xeni

imported post

Harvdog wrote:
marine2000 wrote:

Here is the address:

I'll be in Fredericksburg this Sunday taking my dad out for his birthday. Sorry, I'm gonna miss this 1st event!! :( Give me a time/date/loc for the next one and I'll be there.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Harvdog wrote:
marine2000 wrote:

Here is the address:

Glad you found the info useful. Seriously, the "issue" of us OC-ing is a non-issue, in spite of all the chatter at http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/13373.html.

Once you have a few "regular" places, the fun part is trying to convince someone else to scout out a place you may not have been, without sounding like you are trying to convince them to be the guinia pig.

Put me down for a definate maybe - seems now the biggest questions for me are 1) getting in my nap (not a problem :lol:) and 2) the price of gas and how much I use between now & then. If I come I'll have my camera with me - anyone who does not want to be photographed please wear your "Hello, My Name Is ____ and I'm in the Witness Protection Program" nametag.

stay safe.

skidmark

marine2000

imported post

Skidmark....!!!!!

I have read alot of your forum comments.....!!!!!

I sense negativity from you alot.....or maybe you are just being practical..!!!!!!!!

Which one..????

xd.40

imported post

No matter what weekend you do it, someone won't be able to come. It's just the nature of the beast. Pick a date and keep it, then do another one :lol:.

1st freedom

imported post

Sunday works for me and the miss's, I have a class at 11:00am in Chantilly that should last about 4 hrs. That should put me back in Montclair around 4:00,4:30 so if the 5:00 hr works, I'm there.

I will not be able to post after about 4:00pm today but I will be able to read any time or location change.

So keep me posted(pun intended)

Xeni

imported post

xd.40 wrote:
No matter what weekend you do it, someone won't be able to come. It's just the nature of the beast. Pick a date and keep it, then do another one :lol:.

Agreed. If nothing else, it'll build up the local esprit de corps for the Montclair/Dumfries/Manassas contingent.

I'm also all for choosing local hole in the wall places to support the local community vice larger chains but I'll be going mainly for the company less so the food.

Harvdog

imported post

Xeni wrote:
xd.40 wrote:

Agreed. If nothing else, it'll build up the local esprit de corps for the Montclair/Dumfries/Manassas contingent.

I'm also all for choosing local hole in the wall places to support the local community vice larger chains but I'll be going mainly for the company less so the food.
I completely agree. We'll never be able to get everyone all the time. So...

We're on for THIS Sunday (7/20) @ 6pm at Montclair Family. My wife and I will be there a bit early. I'll probably wearing my black NRA polo shirt and, of course, my XD. :cool:

possumboy

imported post

As always, my arrival depends on the kids. I will try, but I have learned not to make plans.

Montclair Family Resturant is one of the few places I can bring my daughter to eat. Plus the wife unit loves the Greek Salad.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

marine2000 wrote:
Skidmark....!!!!!

I have read alot of your forum comments.....!!!!!

I sense negativity from you alot.....or maybe you are just being practical..!!!!!!!!

Which one..????

Practical.

I do not suffer fools well. I have poor social skills after round one when dealing with them.

However, you will find me a good friend and a loyal ally. As you have noted, I am also skilled at being a decent enemy.

stay safe.

skidmark

PS - Thank you very much for the opportunity to have this discussion publically.