• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Montclair/Dumfries OC Dinner

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

marine2000 wrote:
Skidmark....!!!!!

I have read alot of your forum comments.....!!!!!

I sense negativity from you alot.....or maybe you are just being practical..!!!!!!!!

Which one..????
Actually he's very a laid back, sensitive and gentle soul that wishes only warm and fuzzy feelings for everybody. :D

Truth of the matter, he is our go to guy for accurate, detailed and well researched data, documents,cites, links etc. - long time OCer with much practical ( been there done that) experience. Very dry sense of humor, capable of barbed sarcasim and will cut to the chase early.

But negative - not hardly unless someone is seeing only the reply/retort and not the question. Why he is actually quite charming.:lol:

Yata hey

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

skidmark wrote:
<snip> Call the place ahead of time with your estimated time of arrival and head count (maybe + 2 extra) and that you would like 1 large table if possible - no need to discuss the fact that you are a group of OC-ers, Rotarians, or the local high school chess club alimni. :p

Then show up somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 minutes early so you can do last-minute head count and let the greeter know if you will need an extra table pulled up, or that they can free up some seats. Keep your eyes open for the :shock:, :(, :?, :X, ;), :), :what:, :uhoh:, :cry:and :celebratelooks that you will get on the way to your table(s). Sit down, chat, order, and eat. Think about if you really want that dessert.

Remember to tip your server. Watch out for the "automatic" tip added to your bill. You may want to bump that amount up, or not It's up to you.

The final phase is the after-dinner gathering outside, where everybody again goes over the food, the conversation, the looks you got, and any stories of other diners who asked questions or gave dirty looks, lectures, or rude gestures.

A few folks with camera (real film, didital, phone) means you get pictures to post. There are several free hosting places, and if you want you can make the album "private" so only your group can view the pics.

<snip>
Skidmark, this would make a good "Dining For Dummies" post for the General forum - perhaps even stickied - as our numbers and events grow so rapidly.

Harvdog

imported post

Tess wrote:
skidmark wrote:
<snip> Call the place ahead of time with your estimated time of arrival and head count (maybe + 2 extra) and that you would like 1 large table if possible - no need to discuss the fact that you are a group of OC-ers, Rotarians, or the local high school chess club alimni. :p

Then show up somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 minutes early so you can do last-minute head count and let the greeter know if you will need an extra table pulled up, or that they can free up some seats. Keep your eyes open for the :shock:, :(, :?, :X, ;), :), :what:, :uhoh:, :cry:and :celebratelooks that you will get on the way to your table(s). Sit down, chat, order, and eat. Think about if you really want that dessert.

Remember to tip your server. Watch out for the "automatic" tip added to your bill. You may want to bump that amount up, or not It's up to you.

The final phase is the after-dinner gathering outside, where everybody again goes over the food, the conversation, the looks you got, and any stories of other diners who asked questions or gave dirty looks, lectures, or rude gestures.

A few folks with camera (real film, didital, phone) means you get pictures to post. There are several free hosting places, and if you want you can make the album "private" so only your group can view the pics.

<snip>
Skidmark, this would make a good "Dining For Dummies" post for the General forum - perhaps even stickied - as our numbers and events grow so rapidly.
Great suggestion. This is good information.

Harvdog

imported post

I've already contacted the restaurant and they will just need a final headcount sometime before we arrive. Here's what I have so far:

1st freedom 2
possumboy 2+kids
skidmark 1
Harvdog 2

joeamt

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Harvdog wrote:
I've already contacted the restaurant and they will just need a final headcount sometime before we arrive. Here's what I have so far:

1st freedom 2
possumboy 2+kids
skidmark 1
Harvdog 2
I will most likely be there too. I live almost within walking distance of the restaurant.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I like your use of listing the screen names and #s of attendees. We have found that that this tends to keep people properly motivated and aware that their presence is anticipated. Nothing could be more awkward than reserving seats for 12 and only having 2 show up.

BTW - the odds appear about right for Skidmark 6 or 7 to 1. Be sure to seat him at the head of the table.:lol: Actually, I would have very much like to have visited with you also but unfortunately had a prior commitment.

Have fun and enjoy.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Tradition has it that the first one home post how it went.
We are all in suspense.

Skidmark had his cell phone turned off 'cause I tried to call and say hello while you were eating. Bad boy Skid. :)

Yata hey

Harvdog

imported post

Sorry about not posting right away when I got home.

Everything went great and we had a nice turn out...15 total:

1st freedom and Eileen
possumboy, Abby, Kaylee, Aaron, and Adriana
skidmark
harvdog and mrs. harvdog
joeamt
dave, tess and jason

One lady sitting behind us made a comment when she walked in; "They carry guns. We should sit with them." We invited them to join us but they opted not to.

Anyway, it was really nice to meet everyone. Looking forward to seeing all of the pix taking by skidmark.

possumboy

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Tradition has it that the first one home post how it went.
We are all in suspense.

Skidmark had his cell phone turned off 'cause I tried to call and say hello while you were eating. Bad boy Skid. :)

Yata hey

There were babies holding onto their father and children running everywhere - and that was just me and my kids.

Besides that, everything else went great!

Montclair Family Restaurant made us feel welcomed, and the service was what I was used to with just my family.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

It was not turned off - my battery went dead after all the phoning I did trying to alert the local cops that if they got a MWAG call it was just us. :p

Two State Troopers did stop by, but seemed nore interested in eating dinner than in trying to figure out what we were up to.

I'll post a link to the pictures tomorrow.

stay safe.

skidmark

1st freedom

imported post

I hope everyone is having a good start to the week,I just wanted to say hello and what a pleasure it was to meet everyone yesterday. Tess , it was good to see you and the family again.

Skidmark, Thank you for making the drive up, I hope you found it worth the trip.We hope you liked the people in our neighborhood. I do.:celebrate(I like the bannana too)

Harvdog, Thanks again for your efforts putting this together for us, It is much appreciated.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pictures of the inaugural Montclair OC Dinner are now up at http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w186/vaskidmark/Montclair_OC_Dinner/(2 pages on PhotoBucket)

Sorry about the delay, but I had to deal with a malfunctioning AC unit in the apartment.

It was wonderful to meet all you folks from the southern end of Prince William County. I enjoyed the conversation and fellowship, and if gas prices remain stable or return to more sane levels I hope to be able to meet with you again.

stay safe.

skidmark

IanB

imported post

marine2000 wrote:
I sense negativity from you alot.....or maybe you are just being practical..!!!!!!!!

Which one..????
As Skid has already mentioned, he DOES NOT suffer a fool (Just like Mr. T). I ALWAYS enjoy Skid's point of view and most of the time his thoughts are so spot on... hisremarks should be classified a NFA weapon.