• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who needs a firearm?!?

tattedupboy

imported post

I hope that the intention of this thread is not LEO bashing:what:

Just kidding, of course. Anyway, officers like this one who use their badges to abuse their authority give a bad name to all the good officers out there. I'm just glad he was caught and dealt with expeditiously.

Pointman

imported post

Boy, 11, Tracks Speeders With Toy Radar Gun
July 18, 2008
Source:
http://www.myfoxmilwaukee.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=7003750&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.1.1

LOUISVILLE, KY-- Police can't be everywhere, so 11-year-old Landon Wilburn is on patrol in the Stone Lakes subdivision in Louisville. Landon told The Courier-Journal he used to shout at speeders to slow down -- then had a better idea.

Dressed in a reflective vest, wearing a bicycle helmet and armed with a Hot Wheels brand radar gun, he points and records the speed of passing traffic. The boy also carries a flashlight with a built-in siren.

Subdivision resident George Ayers said he has seen drivers lock up their brakes when they saw Landon clocking them.

Officials say the city will install speed bumps in the neighborhood if 70 percent of residents agree and are willing to put up half the money.

Huck

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Happy to see the dept did the right thing. Stupid thing for a senior officer to do - risk his career over a few cups of coffee.
Arrogance over-rides intelligence every time. I'm glad the good cops weeded out that bad one.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pointman wrote:
July 18, 2008
Source:
http://www.myfoxmilwaukee.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=7003750&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.1.1

LOUISVILLE, KY-- Police can't be everywhere, so 11-year-old Landon Wilburn is on patrol in the Stone Lakes subdivision in Louisville. Landon told The Courier-Journal he used to shout at speeders to slow down -- then had a better idea.

Dressed in a reflective vest, wearing a bicycle helmet and armed with a Hot Wheels brand radar gun, he points and records the speed of passing traffic. The boy also carries a flashlight with a built-in siren.

Subdivision resident George Ayers said he has seen drivers lock up their brakes when they saw Landon clocking them.

Officials say the city will install speed bumps in the neighborhood if 70 percent of residents agree and are willing to put up half the money.
Wow, there's a kid who doesn't poop ...

falcon1

imported post

He must live in a fairly safe area of Louisville. I imagine there are places in most cities where doing what this young man is doing would get some very unwelcome attention from some very unsavory individuals.

I hope he stays safe. This young man was featured on one of the morning programs (Good Morning America on ABC?).

AbNo

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Pointman wrote:
July 18, 2008
Source:

His parents are going to be very unhappy when they get sued after someone panic-stops and crashes into something.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

AbNo wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
Pointman wrote:
July 18, 2008
Source:

His parents are going to be very unhappy when they get sued after someone panic-stops and crashes into something.
At one time (early to mid 80's I know for sure), here in Virginia parents were not responsible for the torts of their children.

Wonder if this is still true?

Pointman

imported post

What I find deplorable is they'll put up speed bumps that affect everyone, but not target the offenders by putting an officer there once in a while. They might as well put a STOP sign up "for the sake of the children"--that's what they did here to slow down traffic. Now everyone runs the stop sign, somewhile speeding.

The next thing is that a year from when the speed bumps are put in the residents will complain the bumps are damaging the undersides of their vehicles, and the bumps will have to be removed.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Pointman wrote:

Hahahaha! That just made my day. What idiot would PAY to have the pain in the ass of speed bumps installed on their street. I'd put up money to NOT have them installed.

AbNo

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
AbNo wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
Pointman wrote:
July 18, 2008
Source:

At one time (early to mid 80's I know for sure), here in Virginia parents were not responsible for the torts of their children.

Wonder if this is still true?
Doesn't mean someone won't try.

Orygunner

imported post

Y'know I've actually wondered myself. Why is it only police officers can write traffic citations?

There's a street my parents-in-law used to live on at the edge of town. It isa long straight stretch with no side streets for 3-4 blocks. Occasionally, drivers would romp through the 25 mph zone at 50-60 mph, and officers were rarely seen, even when called repeatedly to report the dangerous drivers (The police department has no obligation to respond, of course). When we asked the police if we took video and got the license numbers, if they could ticket the drivers, they said no, the officer has to be there to witness the offense.

The couple of times we tried hollering at them, we just got the finger.

If anyone can perform a citizen's arrest (your state law may vary) against someone committing a crime, why not a citizen's citation for breaking a traffic law? Get video evidence, and a reliable radar gun (or some other way of tracking speed, then sit and watch the road at the expected time.

Better yet, it would be a great idea for the police to provide a combined unit of some sort for citizens to be trained on, check out and use for situations such as that; where a citizen is willing to take the time to make their street safer, and the police can't. Just instruct the citizen to make sure they video both the license plate and driver's face, built in radar gun records to tape, and a traffic citation is issued to the offender.

If I lived on the street, maybe this would be a good use for OC ;)

...Excuse me, SLOW DOWN...
...(spotting sidearm) *gulp* Ye-yes, Sir!...
...Orygunner...

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Orygunner wrote:
Y'know I've actually wondered myself. Why is it only police officers can write traffic citations?

There's a street my parents-in-law used to live on at the edge of town. It isa long straight stretch with no side streets for 3-4 blocks. Occasionally, drivers would romp through the 25 mph zone at 50-60 mph, and officers were rarely seen, even when called repeatedly to report the dangerous drivers (The police department has no obligation to respond, of course). When we asked the police if we took video and got the license numbers, if they could ticket the drivers, they said no, the officer has to be there to witness the offense.

If anyone can perform a citizen's arrest (your state law may vary) against someone committing a crime, why not a citizen's citation for breaking a traffic law? Get video evidence, and a reliable radar gun (or some other way of tracking speed, then sit and watch the road at the expected time.

Better yet, it would be a great idea for the police to provide a combined unit of some sort for citizens to be trained on, check out and use for situations such as that; where a citizen is willing to take the time to make their street safer, and the police can't. Just instruct the citizen to make sure they video both the license plate and driver's face, built in radar gun records to tape, and a traffic citation is issued to the offender.

If I lived on the street, maybe this would be a good use for OC ;)

...Excuse me, SLOW DOWN...
...(spotting sidearm) *gulp* Ye-yes, Sir!...
...Orygunner...
Get a life sized fake deer and put it in your yard facing the road right at the edge of your yard. Any driver who doesn't slam on the brakes when they see a deer standing right at the edge of the road will eliminate themselves from the gene pool soon enough anyway.

Anubis

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Happy to see the dept did the right thing. Stupid thing for a senior officer to do - risk his career over a few cups of coffee.
It is good that the department took action. Firing him seems extreme to me; maybe suspension without pay for a couple of weeks and his agreement to stop going tothe Starbuck's for coffee would have been enough.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

I've been coming here for years and I've been getting whatever I want and I'm the difference between you getting a two-minute response time -- if you needed a little help -- or a 15-minute response time.

Two minutes is still too long.

unreconstructed1

imported post

Orygunner wrote:

the street that I live on is bad about that as well. I have had at least 2 dogs get run down due to it. after repeatedly calling the police and requesting something be done, I resorted to telling them that if they woudln't help us with our problem, a "friend of mine" knew how to make caltrops that would guarantee to slow down the speeders. after explaining to eh officers what a caltrop is, and how effective they were, LEOs regularly patrol my street in an attempt to cut down speeders in my neighborhood.

by the way, for those of you who don't know, thisis a caltrop:

180px-Caltrop.jpg

when used in groups, they are fairly effective at rapid deceleration of speeding motorists.