• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Laws in Washington

mrayrobinson

imported post

Hi,

I've CC for over a year now. I've known for a while that Washington is also an OC state and found this forum a month or so ago. I've enjoyed reading the information posted and the back and forth on what is legal as well as some of the experiences you have had. I do have a questions on OC as I have thought about trying it, but wanted to clear up something that I am still not clear on.

1) Reading through I see constant mention of holsters with a retention device, whether its a thumb strap or a holster with a built in retention mechanism. Although I would prefer something like this, is this a requirement by law? I think retention devices are great way to protect who can actually pull the firearm, but wanted to double check on whether it was requirement.

2) It seems to me also that many times when OC'ing it sounds as if you are carrying without one round in the chamber. Again is this a requirement by law or a preference for Safety purposes?

If these questions seem a little naive, sorry about that. These are just things that aren't 100% clear to me and I wanted to confirm the facts on them before I really try OC'ing.

thanks

David.Car

imported post

mrayrobinson wrote:
1) Reading through I see constant mention of holsters with a retention device, whether its a thumb strap or a holster with a built in retention mechanism. Although I would prefer something like this, is this a requirement by law? I think retention devices are great way to protect who can actually pull the firearm, but wanted to double check on whether it was requirement.

2) It seems to me also that many times when OC'ing it sounds as if you are carrying without one round in the chamber. Again is this a requirement by law or a preference for Safety purposes?

1) No it is not required by law. The best retention device is you. Stay aware of the people around you and that is the best way to keep your firearm where it should be. Most popular OC holster does seem to be the Serpa with the trigger finger button.

2) You can carry your firearm loaded in any manner you feel comfortable with or think is best. The vast majority feel that if you don't have one in the chamber than the gun is pretty much no better than a rock and you might as well throw it at the person. Most likely you will either not have the time to rack the slide, or not have your second hand to rack the slide.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

mrayrobinson wrote:
Hi,

I've CC for over a year now. I've known for a while that Washington is also an OC state and found this forum a month or so ago. I've enjoyed reading the information posted and the back and forth on what is legal as well as some of the experiences you have had. I do have a questions on OC as I have thought about trying it, but wanted to clear up something that I am still not clear on.

If these questions seem a little naive, sorry about that. These are just things that aren't 100% clear to me and I wanted to confirm the facts on them before I really try OC'ing.

thanks
First off Welcome! I'm glad to see another Oly member here.

Retention is a matter of personal preference. Some advocate super five bazillion level retention, others (like myself) favor a simple strap over the top of the gun. Your personal comfort and preference will decide that. You don't wrestle with bad guys for a living, a simple strap or thumbreak should be all you need.

I always carry a round in the chamber. There is no law that says you don't. IMHO folks who don't, don't trust their gun enough to keep it fully loaded. If you are worried about carrying a semi auto with a round in the chamber, buy a revolver. I've carried a Ruger P89, Springfield 1911, and a Jennings .22 all fully loaded.

There are no laws dictating the equipment you have to have while OCing nor how the gun is loaded.

DEROS72

imported post

As far as carrying with a round in the chamber I always do ,otherwise you have nothing more than big stick.I carry a Para Ordnance Para Compnion 45.single stack LDA(light double action) It differs from a standard 1911 configuration in that when the slide is racked the hammer is in the down position like a revolver.When the slide travels to the rear the drawbar diconnects from the sear and allows it to engage the cocking cam.When the slide is forward the drawbar is forced up to reconnect with the hammer while the hammer is in the down postion.That way the weapon is ready but not walking around with the hammer all the way back in the full cock position.Similar to a revolver.I just feel a little more secure with this configuration.

bobestes

imported post

I have to agree. A weapon without a round in the chamber is not very useful. Primarily, I carry one of two weapons, either a Para-Ordinance P-14 or a Llama .380. Both of these weapons are 1911 style pistols with inertial firing pins. That means that with the hammer down, the firing pin does not touch the primer. When the weapon is fired, the cocked hammer strikes the firing pin imparting a forward motion to it. The firing pin is large, and its inertia keeps it moving after the hammer stops. This inertial movement causes the firing pin to strike the primer with enough force to ignite it, then the firing pin spring retracts the firing pin until it contacts the hammer. This system makes the pistol safe to carry with the hammer down on a live round. The P-14 also has the series 80 firing pin block which prevents the firing pin from moving forward unless the trigger is pulled. Therefore, I carry either weapon loaded with the hammer down on a live round. If I need to use my weapon, I cock the hammer as I draw the pistol, just as I would with a single action revolver. The weapon is safe as it relies on the laws of physics to prevent an accidental discharge instead of a mechanical device which can break.

DEROS72

imported post

Thats why I like the para companion .All you have to do is pull the trigger.Ifact in the manual I have for the LDA pistol they advise not to hand cock the hammer.My first experience with Para Ordnance and I,m really sold on them.

bobestes

imported post

The Para Ordinance is a great weapon. I just prefere the single action to the double action. Different strokes. A full size service pistol like the P-14 or 1911A1 is sometimes inconvenient. That's why I also use the Llama. Some day, when I have the money, I'd like to get a Colt General Officers model. Unfortunately, like the P-14 it comes with a rowel hammer which I would need to replace with a standard 1911 hammer. It's easier to cock.

Jagermann

imported post

mrayrobinson wrote:
Hi,

thanks
You can carry your gun in whatever holster you'd like and it doesn't matter if you have a round chambered. We don't have any stupid laws like that in Washington. All of Washington State's firearm laws can be found here: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41

The holster I use for my 9mm does not have any retention device. I also keep a round chambered when carrying it. The gun has a safety and double action. Even if the gun fell out of the holster I wouldn't be too worried about it going off. It stays in the holster just fine though. I've let friends borrow it for hiking trips and they never have any problems with it staying in the holster either even while climbing steep mountains.

DEROS72

imported post

I also use a holster with no retention device.With my .45.Also has thumb safety and double action.Never had a problem.