• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45ACP

Weak 9mm

imported post

Liko81 wrote:
Custodian wrote:
M&P Compact, the M&P's little brother.
I would, but they don't make the compact in .45ACP; it's only in 9mm and .40 so far. They spent their R&D budget for the .45 Compact adding the manual safety to the full-size version for military contracts.
So, first of all, did you check out the review of the Taurus I posted? Jeff seemed to like it, oh and he is great about responding to emails if you have any questions.

The M&P compacts are significantly bigger than the Glock 26 and 27 as well. I like the feel of the M&P, but the size disappointed me a bit. It's in between the size of the G26/27 and the XDSC. The XDSC is downright large for a subcompact IMO. So far the Glock 26 is the smallest gun I've found in that category. That category being sub compact and something that you can shoot all day with full power 9mm loads. Of course there's the Kahr PM9 and Kel-Tec PF9, but those are very small and aren't meant for a whole lot of shooting (Especially with powerful loads).

The 9mm is just fine, it's my favorite all around cartridge. Unless it's just that you want all of your guns in the same caliber, you should go with one of the compact M&P's if you like them. With today's awesome high quality ammunition there is very little difference between the 9mm, .40S&W and .45ACP! Plus, 9mm target ammo is WAY cheaper than .45ACP target ammo. I can get LE ammo (Such as Federal's +P HST and Winchester's Ranger +P+) in 9mm for around $20/50rds! Federal's 115gr +P+ 9BPLE is only $15/50rds! That is a proven stopper, used in countless police encounters with very high rates of success.

People are always citing these 20 and 30 year old incidents in which some 9mm load didn't work and then claim that clearly the 9mm is worthless. That simply isn't true, especially with today's loads. The HST and Gold Dot in particular are spectacular loads.

Weak 9mm

imported post

What kind of ammo do you like Dr. Coy?

Right now my Glock 17 has 18rds of Winchester Ranger +P+ 115gr ammo and a backup 17rd mag of the same. My Glock 26 has 11rds of Extreme Shock Fang Face in it and a backup mag with 10rds of Federal +P+ 124gr Hydrashoks. I was using the HST, but I decided I would use the Hydrashoks instead because they expand a little bit less. The HST expands so nastily (Over .7") that I'm worried I will only get about 10" of penetration out of it due to the short barrel of the G26. In the Glock 17 it's not a concern, it should have enough velocity to get up around 12" or so. But while 10" out of the G26 would be fine most of the time, it might not be enough if I come across a 400 to 500 pounder. The Hydrashok seems to expand to around .6", which will give me a little more penetration and still has plenty of expansion. It's nit picking I know, but I want to have the best loads available if the time comes that I actually need them.

When I order the Double Tap rounds for my S&W 642, I'm going to grab some of their 9mm 147gr +P Gold Dots for my G26 and some 124gr's for my G17 simply because winter is on the way and it will be time for me to move away from my 115gr's for a few months. Their 147gr is the nastiest load of that weight that I've found and the reports on the effect it has when used for hunting were incredible (Massive tissue and bone damage). I think, being 147gr, it will penetrate very well and they load it to a high enough velocity for me to think it will hit as hard as most of the lighter bullets offered by other manufacturers. It's a very mean 9mm round considering it weighs 147gr (1135fps / 421ft.lb. out of a 4.5" barrel, 1120fps out of a 4" barrel). If you haven't tried them out, check out their webpage. Their prices are extremely good at around $28/50rds. I like lightweight bullets when I'm using a bigger handgun that can really get them moving, the 115gr Gold Dot load they make travels at 1415fps making 511ft.lb. out of a 4.5" barrel!! That load is proof that the 9mm is just fine for self defense! :cool:

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_37

The S&W 642 is loaded with Speer 135gr +P Gold Dots right now. I am going to order some more appropriate ammunition very soon though. I will be getting Double Tap's 125gr Gold Dot load which uses the low velocity Gold Dot and travels at 1100fps making 336ft.lb. out of a 1.875" barrel! That's insane performance for a .38 Special and I really want to get that load. It will make the 642 perform like it needs to. I'm also going to pick up some Extreme Shock 115gr Enhanced Penetration frangible rounds for it as well. I trust those to cause serious damage. Their .32ACP, .32NAA and 9mm rounds have taken down 200lb+ hogs without any difficulty, so you know their .38 Special will work well (They claim around 350ft.lb.).

Dr.Coy

imported post

Well for now I am comfy with my Federal Hydrashocks. They have fired fine and the mag loads them into my chamber without any issue. For now I will stick with it because it works with my weapon. I havent researched or tried any other round yet. But plan to when things slow down...

And for the range I just use the Winchester White Box... cheap and never a feed problem. Target shooting is so much fun!

I hope I never have to lift my gun to use in self defense... and if I never do... I will have a blast shooting targets.

mjfletcher

imported post

I'm looking at both, and trying to decide which I like better. Ive heard about tritiums becoming basically white dot during the day, but ive also read several reviews of the fibre optics 'disapearring' in lowlight/cloudy/foggy situations. I'm leaning more towards the tritiums, white dot during the day is fine with me, no sights in fog, cloudy about to rain, dusk/dawn is not ok.

mjfletcher

imported post

Check out Federals Expanding Full Metal Jacket. From what they have on their site about them, and what ive read in a couple reviews its basically a hydroshock with a twist. Lightweight, easily compressed rubber plug in the front and a full jacket that serated/scored on the inside so that on impact it expands like a JHP while feeding like an FMJ.

http://www.thegunzone.com/efmj.html

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mjfletcher wrote:
I'm looking at both, and trying to decide which I like better. Ive heard about tritiums becoming basically white dot during the day, but ive also read several reviews of the fibre optics 'disapearring' in lowlight/cloudy/foggy situations. I'm leaning more towards the tritiums, white dot during the day is fine with me, no sights in fog, cloudy about to rain, dusk/dawn is not ok.
The truglo TFOs I have on my Glock are amazing. Super bright day or night. The tritium glows through the fiber optic any time there isn't outside light to filter in, and in the slightest bit of sun or even indoor overhead light makes the things glow great. At night with the tritum coming through the fiber they seem brighter than the standard tritium sights I've had before. But alas, no TFOs for the Taurus. But right now they just have white dot sights, so they're nothing in the dark anyway.

BearArms

imported post

Hi Liko81,

I have a Taurus 24/7 pro in 9mm. Love it and eats everything! Two weeks ago I almost bought a Taurus Millenium compact in .45acp. (short on cash) Nice weapon and felt great in my hand. I saw it at Academy Sports for $299.99. You should give it a look! Joe from TN ;)

Weak 9mm

imported post

Check out Federals Expanding Full Metal Jacket. From what they have on their site about them, and what ive read in a couple reviews its basically a hydroshock with a twist. Lightweight, easily compressed rubber plug in the front and a full jacket that serated/scored on the inside so that on impact it expands like a JHP while feeding like an FMJ.
It doesn't offer as much penetration (9", which is very marginal) or expansion (.58", meh) as I'd like in 9mm form, it only weighs 105gr. I don't go lower than 115gr, and when I go with a 115gr it's got to be +P or +P+ (Or a minimum velocity of 1300fps). The only way to get a heavier version in 9mm is to get the LE version. The standard EFMJ is only worth it in a gun that wont feed JHPs or in a state where you cannot use JHPs and even then I would only use the LE version, not the 105gr PD version. Here is the less than stellar performance:

http://www.brassfetcher.com/9x19mm%20Federal%20105gr%20Expanding%20Full%20Metal%20Jacket.html