• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need advice on Maryland carry law

Chris1760

imported post

WOW thats a loaded question.....I will try to help you out there.

1. You will want your guns locked in the trunk in cases and if possible your ammo in the back seat on the floor in a box.
  2. Maryland dose not veiw your permit to carry as legit.
Good luck I will try to find you actual law tommorow but these should help you in the right direction.

ProShooter wrote:
Hi all,

I will be traveling from the free state of Va to MD to teach a firearm class. Can someone advise me of the rules/laws regarding carrying and/or transporting handguns in your fine state?

Jim

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Hi all,

I will be traveling from the free state of Va to MD to teach a firearm class. Can someone advise me of the rules/laws regarding carrying and/or transporting handguns in your fine state?

Jim
1) The home page of this site - OCDO- has a link to maps which will get you started.

2) Also Handgun Law is a fine general source http://www.handgunlaw.us/

3) And then we have an OCDO thread "Transporting A Handgun Through Maryland" http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum28/2463.html

Sure hope that you get the information that you need before you leave because the Maryland LEOs are not very understanding. BTW - one round alone in an otherwise empty magazine without even having a weapon is considered having a loaded weapon in Maryland! See source data found in #3.

Yata hey

kohburn

imported post

Grapeshot wrote
BTW - one round alone in an otherwise empty magazine without even having a weapon is considered having a loaded weapon in Maryland! See source data found in #3.

Yata hey

that part is still debated, its not true according to the MD state police. but that doesn't mean that the individual LEO's know that.

From http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum28/2463-2.html

"I called the Maryland State Police HQ in Jessup about a month ago inquiring if a loaded magazine constituted a loaded gun and I wa told "NO." The handgun is not considered loaded (again, per my phone conversation with the MDSP) if a magazine is NOT inserted and there is obviously no round in the chamber. I've always "heard" that ammunition (in MD) must be in a separate, locked case away from the handgun, but I've never found a snip of code or statement from theMDSP to back that up. Traveling through MD, it's better to be safe than sorry of course."

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Thanks everyone - I think that I'll just drive and ask the group I'm teaching to provide guns for classroom demos.

Hard to believe that Maryland is so bad...........
Simply lock them up in a seperate container from any ammo. That's what we all do when traveling in any People's Republic. That way before you enter and after you leave the forbidden zone you may be appropriately dressed.:)

Yata hey

chess

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Thanks everyone - I think that I'll just drive and ask the group I'm teaching to provide guns for classroom demos.

Hard to believe that Maryland is so bad...........

Everyone has been complaining about the law for quite sometime !

Novus Collectus

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Hi all,

Jim
1) The home page of this site - OCDO- has a link to maps which will get you started.

2) Also Handgun Law is a fine general source http://www.handgunlaw.us/

3) And then we have an OCDO thread "Transporting A Handgun Through Maryland" http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum28/2463.html

Sure hope that you get the information that you need before you leave because the Maryland LEOs are not very understanding. BTW - one round alone in an otherwise empty magazine without even having a weapon is considered having a loaded weapon in Maryland! See source data found in #3.

Yata hey
That is a myth!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A loaded mag is not a loaded weapon unless the mag is in the handgun. The actual law says nothing about magazines and even in MD a magazine is NOT a weapon.

Novus Collectus

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Hi all,

Jim
I am a little late and you may never read this, but there are two laws here. One is the fed law travelling interstate to MD and the other is MD law.
On the way here the fed law says in a trunk or case away from the driver and unloaded. Once you are here and your staying here for more than just a hotel visit on the way back out, you may have to follow the MD transport law which is less restrictive in some regards and more in others than the fed law.
MD law only allows transport from a residence (hotel room should count) to allowed places like hunting, firearms training, dog training, target practice, gunshop, between residences, etc. The only requirment for the handgun is that it be in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster with the handgun itself unloaded and that is IT!

There is no requirement it be locked, the ammo separate, in the trunk, out of reach, or whatever. The same law addresses when carrying, wearing and transporting the handgun must be unloaded and in an elcosed case or holster and this includes when walking to the range, driving a bike or riding a horse and there are no trunks on horses, bikes or your ass.
Also, since if you can have the gun in an enclosed holster on your person when walking, driving a bike or on a horse when going to the range, then where is the ammunition going to be put "out of reach"?
The out of reach, in the trunk with ammo in a seperate place understanding is a myth.

The law is 4-203 of the Criminal Law Article if you want to see for yourself.

Novus Collectus

imported post

kohburn wrote:
Grapeshot wrote
BTW - one round alone in an otherwise empty magazine without even having a weapon is considered having a loaded weapon in Maryland! See source data found in #3.

Yata hey

that part is still debated, its not true according to the MD state police. but that doesn't mean that the individual LEO's know that.

From http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum28/2463-2.html

"I called the Maryland State Police HQ in Jessup about a month ago inquiring if a loaded magazine constituted a loaded gun and I wa told "NO." The handgun is not considered loaded (again, per my phone conversation with the MDSP) if a magazine is NOT inserted and there is obviously no round in the chamber. I've always "heard" that ammunition (in MD) must be in a separate, locked case away from the handgun, but I've never found a snip of code or statement from theMDSP to back that up. Traveling through MD, it's better to be safe than sorry of course."
Oh damn, I should have read the entire thread before I replied. Oops. :)