Thread: Visiting Oregon next week

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I'll be driving from Colorado to the central coast next week and I was looking for some advice on how to carry. I have a CO permit which is recognized in every state I'll be driving through except OR. I'll probably leave it in the car during most of the trip as I'd probably kill my mother if she saw me OCing. Is there a preferred way to carry in the car? Can I leave it loaded if it is in a locked container (glove box, safe under the seat, etc.) or does it have to be unloaded/disassembled? What would you do? Is there some kind of privacy expectation in a vehicle in OR? Thanks in advance.

Post imported post

Basically, you can't have it concealed in a motor vehicle if it's readily accessible.

I would consider locked in the glove box or a carrying case not readily accessible, your mileage may vary

If you are wearing the handgun openlyin a belt holster, it is also considered NOT concealed. Even if you're in a motor vehicle.

There is no notification statute where you have to notify a LEO you have a firearm. so if it's locked in the glove box, you don't have to tell him. However, you may want to keep your registration and proof of insurance somewhere else.

The rest of Oregon's firearms laws are in Chapter 166 of the Oregon Revised Statutes: http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

...Hope this helps...
    ...Orygunner...

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Thanks for the help Orygunner.