Thread: 11yo Girl at Shooting Range

Post imported post

11 year old Mckenzie on the shooting range performing drills with Tactical Response. This was a two day Tactical Response Fighting Pistol training course. One of the best training organizations in the Nation.

http://shock.military.com/Shock/vide...Content=171380

Not really an open carry thing, but it's cool to see somebody so young be so good and so interested in the responsible use of firearms.

Post imported post

Sheesh! Pretty damn good for a kid!!! I'd be tripping over the stupid chairs!:P Does my ole heart good to see young'uns learning "The Way".

Post imported post

:what:

Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar

Post imported post

Here's a video of my friend's 12 year old daughter shooting a USPSA match last month.

Post imported post

Ha! That's awesome!
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
    Here's a video of my friend's 12 year old daughter shooting a USPSA match last month.
    :what: THATS AWESOME!!!

Post imported post

a 12 year old girl who I will almost guarantee can outshoot me

I wish we had competitions like that around here. I would love to do that and hone my skills. Impressive young women.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Thats hot! I was about to go get my daughter her first rifle. She is 5. Everyone else looks at me like I am crazy, but I remember being not much older my first time out. Figure best to get them while they are young. Training and respect.

When she is doing the rifles right I will then get her a pistol.

Post imported post

deepdiver wrote:

I wish we had competitions like that around here. I would love to do that and hone my skills. Impressive young women.
    There are several clubs in Missouri that hold USPSA matches. Here's a link to a club in central Missouri that you may or may not be close to: http://www.unitedsportsmenjeffcitymo.org/data/pistol.htm

I started shooting USPSA in January this year, and although I'm getting better at it my friend's daughter consistently beats my score.

Post imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
    That was sweet!!

Is that a Wilson Combat 1911 being used?

Post imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
    deepdiver wrote:

There are several clubs in Missouri that hold USPSA matches. Here's a link to a club in central Missouri that you may or may not be close to: http://www.unitedsportsmenjeffcitymo.org/data/pistol.htm

I started shooting USPSA in January this year, and although I'm getting better at it my friend's daughter consistently beats my score.
    Thanks for the link. That is a bit far for me but I bookmarked it just in case. The closest matches I am aware of to me are about 2 hours away. I guess I just need to suck it up and deal with the drive. A buddy in FL and his wife started doing practical shooting competition last year and have seen massive improvements in their skills, not to mention the sheer enjoyment of it.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

danbus wrote:
    OC-Glock19 wrote:
    That was sweet!!

Is that a Wilson Combat 1911 being used?
    I believe that just below the video or somewhere around it indicated a Kimber 1911. I am not positive though.

Post imported post

It's awesome watching any kid shooting. I have a pic of one of my granddaughters getting ready on a 1919a4!

Post imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
    It's awesome watching any kid shooting. I have a pic of one of my granddaughters getting ready on a 1919a4!

You'll love this picture then:

Post imported post

Neat picture. Love it. My granddaughter...........

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

This brings the question then, although I support my daughter of 5 getting a low caliber rim-fire rifle what is an appropriate age to begin training her on handguns, shotguns, etc.?

I assume the real answer will lie with my daughter. When it comes time that she can properly hold and control them, but I am willing to listen to suggestions.

Post imported post

I think you hit the nail on the head. She has to be able to handle and control it. We're looking at getting my wife a revolver because her wrist is so small and weak that the recoil actually throws off the action and causes the next round being chambered to jam before the chamber closes. I'd never seen a glock jam til I took her to the range for the first time. She hits her target but can't fire the 2nd shot with a jammed weapon and now that I've traded up and gone from a 9mm to a .45, I definitely want her to get a revolver to shoot rather than my glock.

On the other hand, my son was 10 when he shot my 9mm and also a 20-gauge. At 13, he's now my size and I'm looking forward to the next chance we have to go to the range so he can try out my .45 and 12-gauge.

Post imported post

Why was that guy getting in her way and why was her pistol constantly going out of battery???
    Was that a Sig/XD/HK? I can't tell...

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
    Why was that guy getting in her way and why was her pistol constantly going out of battery???
    Here's the origional source on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDlodGEp_9o

From the poster:
    It didn't 'jam'....they put snap caps in them to simulate a malfunction to teach malfunction clearing. And having owned both, a Beretta 92 malfunctions far more often than any GlOCK i've owned. The snap-cap drill works by putting a snap-cap, a dummy round, mixed in with the live shells to teach malfunction clearing.

Apparently she's shooting a Glock and the malfunctions are planned.

Post imported post

I thought it was jamming at first too until I realized that the gun was going into battery and the trigger pull resulted in a click. Either there was a lot of dud ammo or they were using snap caps.

Post imported post

I think that is awesome!!

There is a young lady at our club that started shooting our IDPA style matches at 9 with a P22, and 4 years later is quite good. My son (8, almost 9) wanted to give it a shot, so I went a got a P22 and let him practice a bit. I took him to a match about a month ago and he did quite well, even better than I expected. Next time I will have to remember to bring the video or at least a camera..

They do love to shoot gallon water jugs with my wife's AR too...

-MTCZ

Post imported post

asforme wrote:
    ufcfanvt wrote:
    Here's the origional source on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDlodGEp_9o

From the poster:
    It didn't 'jam'....they put snap caps in them to simulate a malfunction to teach malfunction clearing. And having owned both, a Beretta 92 malfunctions far more often than any GlOCK i've owned. The snap-cap drill works by putting a snap-cap, a dummy round, mixed in with the live shells to teach malfunction clearing.

Apparently she's shooting a Glock and the malfunctions are planned.
    Not a bad idea at all. I'm actually convinced to get some snap caps now and use them this way! I'll have a friend load the mag for me so I'll be properly surprised....

Post imported post

One of the greatest experiences in my life was the first time I took my 6 year old daughter, with Grandpa, to the range.

I saved a picture of the Princess holding my GSG (.22 MP5 clone) and put it on my desktop at work -- quite the conversation piece!!!

Post imported post

vbnative73 wrote:
    I think you hit the nail on the head. She has to be able to handle and control it. We're looking at getting my wife a revolver because her wrist is so small and weak that the recoil actually throws off the action and causes the next round being chambered to jam before the chamber closes. I'd never seen a glock jam til I took her to the range for the first time.
    You might also look at some other semi-autos for her. One "failing" of Glocks is that they don't respond well to limp-wristing. Other semis have issues with this as well, but there are also plenty that cycle just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsktLC-hzx4

Obviously, the final answer is whatever she likes best.