• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

11yo Girl at Shooting Range

vbnative73

imported post

11 year old Mckenzie on the shooting range performing drills with Tactical Response. This was a two day Tactical Response Fighting Pistol training course. One of the best training organizations in the Nation.

http://shock.military.com/Shock/videos.do?displayContent=171380

Not really an open carry thing, but it's cool to see somebody so young be so good and so interested in the responsible use of firearms.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

:cry: a 12 year old girl who I will almost guarantee can outshoot me :cry:

I wish we had competitions like that around here. I would love to do that and hone my skills. Impressive young women.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thats hot! I was about to go get my daughter her first rifle. She is 5. Everyone else looks at me like I am crazy, but I remember being not much older my first time out. Figure best to get them while they are young. Training and respect.

When she is doing the rifles right I will then get her a pistol.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

deepdiver wrote:

I wish we had competitions like that around here. I would love to do that and hone my skills. Impressive young women.

There are several clubs in Missouri that hold USPSA matches. Here's a link to a club in central Missouri that you may or may not be close to: http://www.unitedsportsmenjeffcitymo.org/data/pistol.htm

I started shooting USPSA in January this year, and although I'm getting better at it my friend's daughter consistently beats my score.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:

There are several clubs in Missouri that hold USPSA matches. Here's a link to a club in central Missouri that you may or may not be close to: http://www.unitedsportsmenjeffcitymo.org/data/pistol.htm

I started shooting USPSA in January this year, and although I'm getting better at it my friend's daughter consistently beats my score.
Thanks for the link. That is a bit far for me but I bookmarked it just in case. The closest matches I am aware of to me are about 2 hours away. I guess I just need to suck it up and deal with the drive. A buddy in FL and his wife started doing practical shooting competition last year and have seen massive improvements in their skills, not to mention the sheer enjoyment of it.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
It's awesome watching any kid shooting. I have a pic of one of my granddaughters getting ready on a 1919a4!:D

You'll love this picture then:

miaoakly.jpg

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This brings the question then, although I support my daughter of 5 getting a low caliber rim-fire rifle what is an appropriate age to begin training her on handguns, shotguns, etc.?

I assume the real answer will lie with my daughter. When it comes time that she can properly hold and control them, but I am willing to listen to suggestions.

vbnative73

imported post

I think you hit the nail on the head. She has to be able to handle and control it. We're looking at getting my wife a revolver because her wrist is so small and weak that the recoil actually throws off the action and causes the next round being chambered to jam before the chamber closes. I'd never seen a glock jam til I took her to the range for the first time. She hits her target but can't fire the 2nd shot with a jammed weapon and now that I've traded up and gone from a 9mm to a .45, I definitely want her to get a revolver to shoot rather than my glock.

On the other hand, my son was 10 when he shot my 9mm and also a 20-gauge. At 13, he's now my size and I'm looking forward to the next chance we have to go to the range so he can try out my .45 and 12-gauge.

ufcfanvt

imported post

Why was that guy getting in her way and why was her pistol constantly going out of battery??? :(
Was that a Sig/XD/HK? I can't tell...

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
Why was that guy getting in her way and why was her pistol constantly going out of battery??? :(
Was that a Sig/XD/HK? I can't tell...
Here's the origional source on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDlodGEp_9o

From the poster:
It didn't 'jam'....they put snap caps in them to simulate a malfunction to teach malfunction clearing. And having owned both, a Beretta 92 malfunctions far more often than any GlOCK i've owned. The snap-cap drill works by putting a snap-cap, a dummy round, mixed in with the live shells to teach malfunction clearing.

Apparently she's shooting a Glock and the malfunctions are planned.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I thought it was jamming at first too until I realized that the gun was going into battery and the trigger pull resulted in a click. Either there was a lot of dud ammo or they were using snap caps.