• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

11yo Girl at Shooting Range

MontanaCZ

imported post

I think that is awesome!!

There is a young lady at our club that started shooting our IDPA style matches at 9 with a P22, and 4 years later is quite good. My son (8, almost 9) wanted to give it a shot, so I went a got a P22 and let him practice a bit. I took him to a match about a month ago and he did quite well, even better than I expected. Next time I will have to remember to bring the video or at least a camera..

They do love to shoot gallon water jugs with my wife's AR too... :)

-MTCZ

ufcfanvt

imported post

asforme wrote:
ufcfanvt wrote:
Why was that guy getting in her way and why was her pistol constantly going out of battery??? :(
Was that a Sig/XD/HK? I can't tell...
Here's the origional source on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDlodGEp_9o

From the poster:
It didn't 'jam'....they put snap caps in them to simulate a malfunction to teach malfunction clearing. And having owned both, a Beretta 92 malfunctions far more often than any GlOCK i've owned. The snap-cap drill works by putting a snap-cap, a dummy round, mixed in with the live shells to teach malfunction clearing.

Apparently she's shooting a Glock and the malfunctions are planned.
Not a bad idea at all. I'm actually convinced to get some snap caps now and use them this way! I'll have a friend load the mag for me so I'll be properly surprised....

Carolina40

imported post

One of the greatest experiences in my life was the first time I took my 6 year old daughter, with Grandpa, to the range.

I saved a picture of the Princess holding my GSG (.22 MP5 clone) and put it on my desktop at work -- quite the conversation piece!!!

:lol:

swillden

imported post

vbnative73 wrote:
I think you hit the nail on the head. She has to be able to handle and control it. We're looking at getting my wife a revolver because her wrist is so small and weak that the recoil actually throws off the action and causes the next round being chambered to jam before the chamber closes. I'd never seen a glock jam til I took her to the range for the first time.
You might also look at some other semi-autos for her. One "failing" of Glocks is that they don't respond well to limp-wristing. Other semis have issues with this as well, but there are also plenty that cycle just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsktLC-hzx4

Obviously, the final answer is whatever she likes best.