• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blacksburg, Steppin out

PavePusher

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
I forgot to include the photo of my visit. It was the reason I was there. This liquid fuel rocket motor produces 2000 pounds of thrust using hydrogen peroxide and jet fuel. CAN YOU IMAGINE THE *NOISE* IT MAKES!!!??? You will notice my excercising of my 2cd amendment rights :^). I'm planning on making a motor like this one, as I have always wanted to do since I was 10, or maybe 12.... :^)
Ood, with one side cut away like that, I'd have thought it made almost no thrust at all... :lol:

Neplusultra

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
I forgot to include the photo of my visit. It was the reason I was there. This liquid fuel rocket motor produces 2000 pounds of thrust using hydrogen peroxide and jet fuel. CAN YOU IMAGINE THE *NOISE* IT MAKES!!!??? You will notice my excercising of my 2cd amendment rights :^). I'm planning on making a motor like this one, as I have always wanted to do since I was 10, or maybe 12.... :^)
Ood, with one side cut away like that, I'd have thought it made almost no thrust at all... :lol:
An interesting thing about that motor. You'll notice the pipe leading into the motor on the left side (H2O2 Intake). Just to the right of that is a kinda "grey" area just before you get to the large combustion chamber and then the nozzle. That grey area is a platinum mesh, probably at least $8K-$15K's worth :^). It's used as a catalyst to decompose the hydrogen peroxide into super heated steam and oxygen. I'm sure you could just pry it out with a screwdriver if you wanted to. I told the librarian about it but I don't think they care enough, I doubt many would know what it was anyway.... :^). For my motor I'm going to first try using a catalytic converter core which is embedded with small amounts of platinum, a *lot* cheaper.....

Neplusultra

imported post

peter nap wrote:
;)Gonna go to the moon and salvage all the Junk, Nep ?
Actually all I really want to do is build the motor. I don't have any plans to make a rocket. I want to see how much noise it'll make :^). I've got a tennis ball cannon made out of 4' of sch 40 2.5" steel pipe. I use oxy-acetylene from my torch to power it. It'll shoot a tennis ball so high no one can see it. You can also hear it two miles away, hearing protect is a MUST! :p I went to look for it for the fourth and - someone stole it! I'll have to make a better one now.

Neplusultra

imported post

OCed at the Tech library again a few days ago. This time spent quite a while at the circulation desk filling out a new library card. No mentions although there is no way people didn't notice since I was wearing a contrasting light colored shirt. I can't believe no one said anything. I would expect with the shooting more people would be skittish. Is it they can tell the difference, that a bad guy doesn't open carry and that they welcome this security??? I wonder how many others are visiting campus while OCing? Maybe it's become more common than we think.

Went to Bogens for dinner last night with my sister while OCing. No one even noticed I think until I was leaving and had to use the restroom. The restroom was full of enebriated students who were there to watch the football game. *They* sure noticed :^). We had quite a boistrous and animated discussion for a few minutes. One had a CHP but was not carrying because of the alcohol. He didn't realize you could open carry in a bar.

mpg9999

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
OCed at the Tech library again a few days ago. This time spent quite a while at the circulation desk filling out a new library card. No mentions although there is no way people didn't notice since I was wearing a contrasting light colored shirt. I can't believe no one said anything. I would expect with the shooting more people would be skittish. Is it they can tell the difference, that a bad guy doesn't open carry and that they welcome this security??? I wonder how many others are visiting campus while OCing? Maybe it's become more common than we think.

Went to Bogens for dinner last night with my sister while OCing. No one even noticed I think until I was leaving and had to use the restroom. The restroom was full of enebriated students who were there to watch the football game. *They* sure noticed :^). We had quite a boistrous and animated discussion for a few minutes. One had a CHP but was not carrying because of the alcohol. He didn't realize you could open carry in a bar.
Good to hear you didn't have any problems. I OC'd at Sals in Radford this weekend, no issues.