• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blacksburg, Steppin out

mpg9999

imported post

Anyone here attend Steppin Out in Blacksburg and Open Carry?Iget the feeling that the type of people that attend this won't be open carry, or firearms friendly at all.

Neplusultra

imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
Anyone here attend Steppin Out in Blacksburg and Open Carry?Iget the feeling that the type of people that attend this won't be open carry, or firearms friendly at all.
I haven't attended Steppin' Out for a number of years although I've OCed in Blacksburg a number of times without a problem. I don't live there anymore but travel there to shop. Since the Tech shooting I exclusively OC, especially on campus. Went to the Neuman library a week or so ago without incident.

I may go this year.

mitchd

imported post

Thanks for reminding me.

That weekend is not going to be fun. A close friend of mine is getting married @ VT on the 2nd. Then we have to make it from War Memorial to the Alumni Center.

Yay.

Neplusultra

imported post

mitchd wrote:
Thanks for reminding me.

That weekend is not going to be fun. A close friend of mine is getting married @ VT on the 2nd. Then we have to make it from War Memorial to the Alumni Center.

Yay.
Oh great, I may not be here on the 1st and 2cd......... We'll see, maybe the first...

mitchd

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
mitchd wrote:
Thanks for reminding me.

Yay.
Oh great, I may not be here on the 1st and 2cd......... We'll see, maybe the first...
:confused:

Are you planning on going to the event?

Neplusultra

imported post

mitchd wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
mitchd wrote:
Thanks for reminding me.

Yay.
:confused:

Are you planning on going to the event?
That's the weekend that a bunch of friends and I get together, dates vary from year to year but this year it's that weekend, four days 7/31-8/3. I have other responsibilities which means I can't leave for the get together until the first so I may just stay for it or I may leave in the early afternoon. Haven't decided yet. I may also get out of the commitment so I could leave Thursday the 31st.

We'll see..... I would like to meet some other OCers in the area though. Maybe we can just get together some other day.

Thndr

imported post

mitchd wrote:
Thanks for reminding me.

Yay.

That friend wouldn't have the first initial C and last F would he?

Gota friend whos wedding I am in on the 2nd at the War Memorial, and I dont think it too far of a stretch for it to be the same person.

If So shoot me a PM

Neplusultra

imported post

Thndr wrote:
mitchd wrote:
Thanks for reminding me.

Yay.

That friend wouldn't have the first initial C and last F would he?

Gota friend whos wedding I am in on the 2nd at the War Memorial, and I dont think it too far of a stretch for it to be the same person.

If So shoot me a PM
Naw, just some old friends who get together once a year. Although one of them did just get married :^).

mpg9999

imported post

I was planning on going, but now im not sure if I can make it. The national SCCC get together is in DC that Friday. Not sure if I want to drive back down just to go to steppin out.

mpg9999

imported post

Yup, I was surprised. I've never carried in such a dense hippie infected area, and no one said a thing. I didn't even catch any angry looks. The highlight of my day was talking to one of the Obama supporters at the Obama tent. He had no idea what he was getting himself into, and I didn't even bring up the subject of guns :).

Neplusultra

imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
Yup, I was surprised. I've never carried in such a dense hippie infected area, and no one said a thing. I didn't even catch any angry looks. The highlight of my day was talking to one of the Obama supporters at the Obama tent. He had no idea what he was getting himself into, and I didn't even bring up the subject of guns :).
Did you talk about hope :^)? Sorry I missed it. But I had a reunion of sorts with old friends that weekend. the staying power of hippies is amazing, but it just shows you how short sighted they are. They would never have lasted as they have if people were actually willing to see that there *is* this thing called evil in the world and no matter how much we sing kumbahya it will not change.

Interesting story: Years ago there was a "crystal" dealer at stepping out. You know the crystals that concentrate energy and supposedly can heal you and all this BS. Anyway, I asked the guy what the crystals did and how they worked, knowing full well the philosophy. He rather sheepishly explained it to me, he knowing I didn't believe. I then looked him straight in the eye and asked, "Do you really believe that?" He said nothing and just looked away. How do people get themselves into a mode where they believe this stuff? I'm a Christian and can understand why someone might think I'm crazy for believing in God but this stuff is really just way out there. Is there *any* empirical evidence at all?

CPerdue

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
mpg9999 wrote:
I haven't attended Steppin' Out for a number of years although I've OCed in Blacksburg a number of times without a problem. I don't live there anymore but travel there to shop. Since the Tech shooting I exclusively OC, especially on campus. Went to the Neuman library a week or so ago without incident.

I may go this year.
Hey, guess what? A librarian called the cops on you and they declined to show up!!!!!

This is HUGE!!!!

I was working the VCDL table at the Roanoke gun show today and had a chat with another Hokie. He was asking about the laws regarding OC because (here we enter the realm of hearsay) his friend, the librarian, made the call. The dispatcher seemed concerned but no officers responded.

I did my best to explain the whole concept of popular soverignty, that all is permitted without contravening law, and that the school has no right to enforce policy against the public. We shared a grin that the VT police seem to know the law.

If this whole account is accurate then it is a very good sign, exactly the reaction we want from PDs.

And again, out comes the banana :celebrate

C.

Neplusultra

imported post

CPerdue wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
mpg9999 wrote:

I may go this year.
Hey, guess what? A librarian called the cops on you and they declined to show up!!!!!

This is HUGE!!!!

I was working the VCDL table at the Roanoke gun show today and had a chat with another Hokie. He was asking about the laws regarding OC because (here we enter the realm of hearsay) his friend, the librarian, made the call. The dispatcher seemed concerned but no officers responded.

I did my best to explain the whole concept of popular soverignty, that all is permitted without contravening law, and that the school has no right to enforce policy against the public. We shared a grin that the VT police seem to know the law.

If this whole account is accurate then it is a very good sign, exactly the reaction we want from PDs.

And again, out comes the banana :celebrate

C.
Wow, that's the first time anyone has used the word "Huge" to describe anything having to do with me :^)! OCing at the library really was nothing after I got an education by you and Phillip VC (and Bruce) at PVC's last talk at VT. I was too timid to OC my gun that night and left it in the truck.

But I know better now.

Neplusultra

imported post

I forgot to include the photo of my visit. It was the reason I was there. This liquid fuel rocket motor produces 2000 pounds of thrust using hydrogen peroxide and jet fuel. CAN YOU IMAGINE THE *NOISE* IT MAKES!!!??? You will notice my excercising of my 2cd amendment rights :^). I'm planning on making a motor like this one, as I have always wanted to do since I was 10, or maybe 12.... :^)