• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carrying in wal mart???

boomer92266

imported post

i finally got my fobus holster for my c9, and was wondering, can you open carry in a wal mart. i know some of the small stores here in monroe county say they don't care as long as i am a legal gun owner, but what about wal mart please help. thanks.

superdemon

imported post

boomer92266 wrote:
i finally got my fobus holster for my c9, and was wondering, can you open carry in a wal mart. i know some of the small stores here in monroe county say they don't care as long as i am a legal gun owner, but what about wal mart please help. thanks.

I carry in Wal-Mart all the time.

However, I am a fairly well-known police officer in the area. I have seen others openly carry in Wal-Mart who are not police officers.

In another forum, a person who said they were a Wal-Mart employee stated that Wal-Mart policy is to reflect state law, so open carry in a KY Wal-Mart should be ok to them.

N00blet45

imported post

I've open carried in the Wal-Mart in London and Manchester a few times. I carried in the one in Hazard once too. I didn't get any grief from the greeters or other employees. I also heard that Wal-Mart policy reflects state law. In other words, since it is legal in the state of Kentucky any Wal-Mart here would have no problem with it. If you do get trouble from a manager or other employee make sure to take it up with their corporate office. They'll most likely set their peons straight.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Here in the Puget Sound region of Washington (Everett, Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia) I have the Walmart Security Chief's number in my cell phone. It has come in handy for those times that a manager or employee tries to dictate "their" policy to me. You might want to look this person up and get to know them.

TheMrMitch

imported post

I have OC'd in Elizabethtown and Bardstown both. I am a corrections officer but few people know that since I'm not about and around the public while on duty.:D

I NEVER show my badge or ID when not on duty. I also hand out copies of Ky laws when asked or the subject of guns and carry come up.:cool:

fox689

imported post

I know this is old, but I figured everyone should know.

I've worked at Wal-Mart here in Bowling Green and they tell everyone in training that if they see someone open carrying they are not to do anything, that Wal-Mart has no issue with it, and it is the right of the person to carry. This is told to everyone in training. I carry in both stores here all the time and other than getting odd looks for a moment from loss prevention (I know them all even though they've probably forgotten me in the last year) no one says anything. I have been asked by the guy at the sporting goods counter what I was carrying, but that was more out of curiosity due to him just having bought a pistol himself.

boomer92266 wrote: