• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does open carry with a small firearm look stupid?

AbNo

imported post

Theseus wrote:
I carry a FEG PA-63. . Very similar in size to the Walther. . Infact, same holster.
I know that weapon and although it hurts like hell to shoot it (I have a spring on order) it will quickly make a perps day take a nasty turn if they decide against using good judgement.

Although, I am looking to get an XD-40 or something larger. . . But while I have it I am not ashamed and I am 6ft. 260. It looks very tiny on the waist.
Oh, a buddy of mine has one of those.

He headshots gopher silhouettes at 50 yards with it, consistently.

Center-of-mass on a human silhouette at 100 yards.

I don't know if a spring will help the recoil, but a little cushioned pad on the back helps a LOT. I got some nasty slide bite from that thing, but it's an EXCELLENT carry piece, due to its small weight and size...

As long as you don't have to use it. :lol:

(Isn't that any of 'em?)

As for the XD-40, I've had one for a year and a half now, and I love it. Try it in all three flavors, 9mm, .40, and .45 before you pick a caliber, and don't overlook the sub-compacts. The full-size mags w/ grip extensions don't feel different at all.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Who cares how it looks?

The only thing I have to add is that one of the advantages of OC is the comfort in carrying a full-size weapon. So, carry the PPK until you have something bigger! :D

tattedupboy

imported post

You should not be as concerned with how your gun looks as with how well you can shoot it and if you're comfortable carrying it. I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone here carries thinking whether or not their sidearm will look "right" to others. The fact is, when it comes to self defense looks and weapon size matter not nearly as much as your ability to effectively deploy it. If others believe it looks stupid, screw 'em! In the final analysis, all that matters is what you think.

cREbralFIX

imported post

Good gun fashion...heh...funny!

Unfortunately, all that will be lost on 99% of the folks who observe you OCing.

You need a nice leather holster from Sparks, El Paso Saddlery, or similar. Get a matching belt and mag holder. Some good looking grips that have a "grippy" surface would be fine. Of course the outfit should match, so you really need one setup in brown and one in black.

Or just wear a SIG :)

rodbender

imported post

Go for it. Who cares what anyone else thinks or says.

I always felt as long they were talking about me, they were leaving someone else alone.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'll be the dissenter. Yes it looks stupid, you absolutely, positively MUST buy another gun for open carry. Open Carrying a small gun would be like wearing brown shoes with a black belt!

you guys need to be more supportive, he may have posted the question so he could show the thread to his wife.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Threads like this are what used to make OCDO so much fun.

My 1911 looks fabulous. Citizen told me so.
:D

Only just to get you to look away from your french fries long enough for me tograb several. :p

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

asforme wrote:
I'll be the dissenter. Yes it looks stupid, you absolutely, positively MUST buy another gun for open carry. Open Carrying a small gun would be like wearing brown shoes with a black belt!

you guys need to be more supportive, he may have posted the question so he could show the thread to his wife.
I'm getting too literal in my old age and am missing the alternative explanations. Thank you for the reminder, asforme!

Of course everyone should have a CC sidearm and an OC firearm. Preferably more than one of each because options are good :)

tattedupboy

imported post

asforme wrote:

Who cares what you think? Isn't OC less about how the gun looks than it is about how good it is at protecting you? If it does that job well, then who cares? If people OC'd based only on how good (or bad) their guns looked, then nobody would be OCing with Hi Points (which to me are absolutely the most hideous looking handguns on the planet) or Glocks (sexy compared to Hi Points, but still not very attractive by themselves).

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

asforme wrote:

Please, the only reason I am using the FEG is because of my wife. . . Apparently saving for retirement is more important that a nice sidearm. . :lol:

But if I really pressed it I could buy my XD-40 anytime I wanted...I just like my woman and don't feel like fighting over it for a few days.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think our OP has finally found the answer to the argument that OC has no "element of surprise" like CC does. The bad guys will be totally surprised that a gun that looks so ridiculously tiny can be wielded with such terrifying accuracy. (Assuming, of course, that he practices with the thing.)

AbNo

imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
I think our OP has finally found the answer to the argument that OC has no "element of surprise" like CC does. The bad guys will be totally surprised that a gun that looks so ridiculously tiny can be wielded with such terrifying accuracy. (Assuming, of course, that he practices with the thing.)
I take it you've used one of these before?

It still puzzles me how accurate that PA-63. Must be the fixed barrel.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AbNo wrote:
XD-GEM wrote:

It is a fixed barrel.

P1050032_eb0f9.Large.jpg

AbNo

imported post

Theseus wrote:
AbNo wrote:
XD-GEM wrote:

It is a fixed barrel.

P1050032_eb0f9.Large.jpg
That's what I'm saying. I've had to clean one a few times. :D