• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does open carry with a small firearm look stupid?

glockrocker

imported post

I recently bought a Walther PPK for concealed carry during the summer months, and I'm quite happy with it. One unexpected benefit is that it is quite comfortable to wear on my hip when I'm driving, which is something I've never quite managed to achieve with my G19 (I'm only 5'5"; there isn't much room between my hip and the seat). I really dislike the feel and draw of high-ride holsters, so that's out. I've been thinking about using the Walther as an OC piece when I'm running errands or I'm wearing pants that don't accomdate my military-style belts (my nice looking leather ones don't hold heavier firearms so well).

I was talking about this with a friend of mine, and she was telling me that it would look foolish, and that I'd get even more people asking me the "is that a real gun" question. She says it would look like that was the most I could handle. In her own words: "If you're going to open carry, get a MAC 10, that little thing belongs in your pocket." Man, I really wish she was single.

Anyways, I think it's a non-issue, in fact, I think it might be better for reaction purposes in that it doesn't look like an evil assault weapon. So, who's right? Should I pick up a nice leather holster and proudly carry the little guy, or should it be confined to a pocket?

VAopencarry

imported post

First gun I OC'd was a Walther P22. I would have OC'd a bigger gun but the P22 was the only one I had a holster for. I didn't feel stupid. Seriously consider if you want to OC if you are concerned about 'how you will look' or getting questions.

Trifecta!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Are you carrying a sidearm because of how others will perceive you or for personal defense?

If you are carrying for personal defense whatever you feel comfortable with for CC you should feel comfortable with for OC so what does other's opinion of that choice matter?

AbNo

imported post

docwatson wrote:
The title of this thread just *begs* for an episode of 'Queer Eye for the Straight Guy'!

"Accessorize, Accessorize, Accessorize!"

:p
Zing!

And to the OP: I get asked if my 1911 and XD-40 are real guns form time to time as well.

yeahYeah

imported post

docwatson wrote:
The title of this thread just *begs* for an episode of 'Queer Eye for the Straight Guy'!

hehehehe...my thoughts too. Metro-sexual style Open Carry

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

yeahYeah wrote:
docwatson wrote:

hehehehe...my thoughts too. Metro-sexual style Open Carry

:quirky"Remember, choose premium-quality garment leather for your holster. And the tooled look is so Texas".

Actually, Ithink the fashion guys on Queer Eye would tell you to pocket it. They're not big on having cell phones clipped to a belt either.

Back to the OP, no, I wouldn't laugh at someone OCing a Walther, as long as it was discretely done. If you pick a "Wild West" holster, totally tooled out and attention-getting, I think you'll get a few snickers behind your back. Black untooled leather, a good fit for the gun, at 4:00. You're not going to avoid scaring the antis,but if someone ever does ask you why you're OCing such a small gun you then have two options; challenge the implication that it wouldn't do the job, or if you want to dodge the issue, say you normally conceal it the same way and just don't have your jacket on today. Anyone who knows the saying "practice makes permanent" knows that carrying the same gun in the same place allows you to be very quick in deploying it, and anyone who really knows guns knows that they wouldn't want to get shot with a .380 any more than with a 9mm or .40.

glockrocker

imported post

You guys are a hoot! This is why I love this forum. :celebrate

I think I'll give it a go. I only have a scuzzy looking nylon generic that fits at the moment, but I'll pick up a Desantis mini scabbard that should do the job nicely. After all, as yeahYeah said, metro-style open carry :cool:.

Eeyore

imported post

glockrocker wrote:
Anyways, I think it's a non-issue, in fact, I think it might be better for reaction purposes in that it doesn't look like an evil assault weapon. So, who's right? Should I pick up a nice leather holster and proudly carry the little guy, or should it be confined to a pocket?
Jesum crow, don't pass up a great opportunity to be a wise@$$. Just say "It's small because it got a late start this spring. I hope that, with good weather and enough fertilizer, it'll grow to full size by September." :p

G

Gentleman Ranker

imported post

Used to have a 9mmK PPK myself; nice choice.

At the risk of not being a smarta$$ ;) , the small PPK may have the advantage of being less conspicuous and less threatening to the normals. This is not necessarily a bad thing.

9mm Kurz is not one of the larger calibers, of course, but with proper choice of ammunition and realization of the cartridge's limitations, it's not a bad choice at all.

As to holster or pocket, options are always good. Buy the holster and try it both ways. Being able to change modes for different venues could certainly be a Good Thing.

And for those with better smarta$$ skills, I'm sure there are some James Bond references to be made. :)

regards,

GR

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

longwatch wrote:
No I dont think it looks stupid.

Longwatch's opinion on small guns doesn't count.

Longwatch once dropped his BUG under the table at a restaurant. It took VAOpenCarry, Tomahawk, and myself 40 minutes to help find the durned thing. And even then, it was only because we moved the table! :D

VAopencarry found it. "Hey! Somebody's keychain!"

jbradford1

imported post

Dont let size fool you. I know two friends who have been shot with a .22.

One also shot himself with a 9mm after a bout with crack and neither had any romantic ideals about size. Both said it burned like He#* and neither wanted to "do it" again.

The one who shot himself said the 9mm went through and through and he wasnt sure what had happened..."crack"...but the .22 hurt like crazy...rib cage..no crack.

We all know size matters....but ask the experts...anyone been hit out there wish to clarify? Personaly 10 rounds from a .22 would screw up my whole day!

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I carry a FEG PA-63. . Very similar in size to the Walther. . Infact, same holster.
I know that weapon and although it hurts like hell to shoot it (I have a spring on order) it will quickly make a perps day take a nasty turn if they decide against using good judgement.

Although, I am looking to get an XD-40 or something larger. . . But while I have it I am not ashamed and I am 6ft. 260. It looks very tiny on the waist.

glockrocker