• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington Post Editorial - "Ask Dr. Gun"

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

moz-screenshot-2.jpg
PH2008071703112.jpg

Is that Dr. WaPo Guns' finger I'm lookin' at?

I will admit to three accidental discharges in my 30 years shooting, and all were jokes rather than tragedies because, though I violated Rules 1, 3 and 4, I had trained myself to be very uncomfortable if the muzzle wandered toward something human.

3. Don't put your finger on the trigger until you're ready to shoot. This is probably the hardest to obey, because the ergonomics of the gun make the trigger lure the finger onward, toward destruction, and it's so easy to forget. And the bullet once fired can never be recalled.
There are no accidents with a key in the ignition or a round chambered but only negligence.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where the will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Eeyore wrote:
Overall, an good read. But how did someone with three admitted NDs become "Dr Gun?" :shock:
School of hard-knocks - OR - I can't imagine anyone else at the Post having the capability of writing such an article.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
moz-screenshot-2.jpg
PH2008071703112.jpg

Is that Dr. WaPo Guns' finger I'm lookin' at?

I will admit to three accidental discharges in my 30 years shooting, and all were jokes rather than tragedies because, though I violated Rules 1, 3 and 4, I had trained myself to be very uncomfortable if the muzzle wandered toward something human.

3. Don't put your finger on the trigger until you're ready to shoot. This is probably the hardest to obey, because the ergonomics of the gun make the trigger lure the finger onward, toward destruction, and it's so easy to forget. And the bullet once fired can never be recalled.
There are no accidents with a key in the ignition or a round chambered but only negligence.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where the will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

I prefer to state it another way. Plane crashes, car crashed, and unintended discharges are never the result of one thing; a series of events led to an unsafe condition, which led to tragedy. One slip-up could be called an accident; a systemic and long-chain series of failures cannot.

That said, the way you state it makes for good conversation. People don't like being called incompetent. When you say that any unintended discharge of a weapon is negligent by definition, people have no excuse. People also don't like having no excuse for their actions. Thus, theargument that all UDs are negligent is what prompts counterarguments blaming the gun; either our premise is wrong, and humans are blameless thus imbuing the gun with some sort of intelligent self-control, or our premise is right, and thus for that reason and because humans are fallible,a gunis an object that by its very nature is unsafe in human handsand should be banned.

As for "Dr. Gun", he certainly did give the straight dope; I don't think I'd come up with answers much different than his to the questions posed. I think the piece still had a slight anti-gun bias because the preponderance of questions asked were honestly answered with "then you shouldn't have a gun". People read the first paragraph and "know" what the rest of it's going to say; it's how we're taught in school, your thesis should come first and then yourreasons behind it. Many people wouldn't have gotten to "if you're nervous around guns, go to the range and practice with them" which is great advice.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/testimony/safety/bowman031029.txt

Responsibility is a unique concept:
it can only reside and inhere in a single individual.
You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished.
You may delegate it, but it is still with you.
You may disclaim it, but you cannot divest yourself of it.
Even if you do not recognize it or admit its presence, you cannot escape it.
If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance, or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else.
Unless you can point your finger at the person who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible.
An inanimate instrumentality cannot be a cause for the same reasons that hoplophobia is a fallacy. Do not fear the instrumentality but fear the evil operator.

Rickover would not allow computers in his enginerooms very much to prevent them being a rationalizing excuse to blame problems on.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I never thought I'd live to see the day the Washington Post ran an advice column on GUNS!

I'd be willing to be the Dr. Gun for the Daily Press ! (Dr. van Gun?) :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Maybe a syndicated feature for the New York Times, The Chicago Tribune and the San Francisco Chronicle ? :what: