• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Discusion With Police Officer

Jaycob

imported post

I had a conversation with a DeRidder police officer this morning. I asked himabout High Capacity Magsand he told me that thereillegal in the state of Louisiana. He also told me that your pistol can only have a maximum of ten rounds. I told him that my 9mm holds twelve and he told me that ill have to put a plug in it. He also told me that your pistol CANNOT be loaded while open carrying. He also said that if you get pulled over you HAVE TO let the officer know that you have a firearm. I will be discussing more about this with him on monday. I was wondering if anyone could point me out to some laws that I can show him pertaining to this subject.

THANK YOU!

Dustin

imported post

I'll try to help find the laws,

But this LEO will need to be SMACKED around for a month if he's that dumb !

He must be 4 and a half years behind schedule.

We are now in the POST-BAN Era of weapons.

imported post

When ignorant (not stupid) cops are finished with their personal rant against armed citizens, merely ask him to quote the specific law/laws he's referring to so you can look them up. YOu'd be AMAZED how quickly that shuts them up.
Instead of showing HIM the laws, ask him to show YOU the laws. Guaranteed for a few good laughs.

Jaycob

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
When ignorant (not stupid) cops are finished with their personal rant against armed citizens, merely ask him to quote the specific law/laws he's referring to so you can look them up. YOu'd be AMAZED how quickly that shuts them up.
Instead of showing HIM the laws, ask him to show YOU the laws. Guaranteed for a few good laughs.
Thanks for the advice

Louisiana Carry

imported post

Since I am super up on the law in LA, I go one better. I offer to write them a check for $500.00 on the spot if they can find the law that says that, and even offer to let them use my internet-connected pocket PC to access the legis web site, if they do not have a code book in their trunk.

BTW, yes, what he said is complete BS. You could have a 100rd beta mag in your gun if you wanted.

aroundlsu

imported post

I don't even bother discussing the law those kind of people. It's like talking religion with a Scientologist. You are not going to get anywhere.

Jimmy Dean

imported post

well, here is a small issue.

It will be IMPOSSIBLE to find the laws that allow you do carry 500 rounds, loaded, while OCing, or not telling a cop when he pulls you over.

Reason, because laws do not allow actions, they prohibit them. And there are no laws that prohibit these actions, therefore it is legal.

hammer6

imported post

Louisiana Carry wrote:
Since I am super up on the law in LA, I go one better. I offer to write them a check for $500.00 on the spot if they can find the law that says that, and even offer to let them use my internet-connected pocket PC to access the legis web site, if they do not have a code book in their trunk.

BTW, yes, what he said is complete BS. You could have a 100rd beta mag in your gun if you wanted.

that's the kind of clip my dad would like to carry...he's all about the HI-CAP mags...haha

sraacke

imported post

Jaycob wrote:
He also said that if you get pulled over you HAVE TO let the officer know that you have a firearm.
Bull. IF you have a CCW and are concealing a firearm you must notify. If you are open carrying in your vehicle or you simply have a gun in the car you don't have to inform the officer of a darn thing.

charlie12

imported post

yale wrote:
Jaycob wrote:
He also said that if you get pulled over you HAVE TO let the officer know that you have a firearm.
Bull. IF you have a CCW and are concealing a firearm you must notify. If you are open carrying in your vehicle or you simply have a gun in the car you don't have to inform the officer of a darn thing.
If you are in your car you are not concealing permit or not.

Dustin

imported post

charlie12 wrote:
yale wrote:
Jaycob wrote:
If you are in your car you are not concealing permit or not.

Let's fix this right now.

If you are in your car, and you are CONCEALING "ON YOUR PERSON" than you MUST notify the LEO.

If it's in your console/glove compartment than that's your own business.

If you DO NOT have a CHL, than you obviously shouldn't be concealing anyway, and have no worries about what to say to the LEO.

Again,

If you have a CHL, and you have your handgun "ON YOU", than you must tell the LEO.

If you Have your CHL, and your weapon is in your console, than YOU DO NOT have to tell the LEO.

LC, can you verify this?

Jimmy Dean

imported post

I disagree.

As long as I am in my car or in my home, there is nothing wrong with me carrying concealed on my person, and no need to notify, this is without a permit.

Dustin

imported post

Jimmy Dean wrote:
I disagree.

As long as I am in my car or in my home, there is nothing wrong with me carrying concealed on my person, and no need to notify, this is without a permit.

Well it's perfectly legal for you to disagree, but that doesn't mean your right.

Taken from - http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html#duties

Duties of Permittees
The permit shall be retained by the permittee who shall immediately produce it upon the request of any law enforcement officer. Anyone who fails to do so shall be fined not more than one hundred dollars. Additionally, when any peace officer approaches a permittee in an official manner or with an identified purpose, the permittee shall:

1. Notify the officer that he has a weapon on his person;
  2. Submit to a pat down;
  3. Allow the officer to temporarily disarm him.
See all thefreedoms you give up when you get one of these ?

charlie12

imported post

Jimmy Dean wrote:
I disagree.

Bingo.

In your car is not concealed. That rule is when you are outside your car or house.

sheepdog

imported post

...the way we always said it was "Carry any way you want in your car...just don't get out with it concealed..."...it oughta be that simple...but legislators are lawyers too often and it gets all screwed up... I'm for "Do what you want to do...but be prepared to pay the price if you do wrong..." Penalize the criminal...not the law-abiding citizen...make gun crime so expensive they don't wanna do it....betcha noone ever thought of that....:p

Dustin

imported post

sheepdog wrote:
...make gun crime so expensive they don't wanna do it....betcha noone ever thought of that....:p

Scary thing about that is that a Law abider might get caught in the mix on accident, and pay the max. Or the LE will screw something up, lie about it, and burn you forever. :shock:

sheepdog

imported post

...bein' more "pecific" for those who "whatif" a lot...gun crime means robbery, agg.ass., etc....not letting your coat fly back ....in other words...add time to the sentence when a gun is used in a major felony...it would make them more hesitant to use one...the ones who could read, anyways....