• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.44 Magnum Defense Ammo

hamourkiller

imported post

One of the least penetrative .44 Magloads I have shot numerous deer and hogs with, is the standard Remington 240gr HPT. The hollow point is so deep on this round that it opens quickly and is found laying against the off side skin. these deer tend to run 100 to 120 lbs live weight. Not large animals, actually smaller than the average criminal scum.

The recovered bullets range in dia from .62 to .72.

I would not hesitate to use the Remington 240 gr HPTS defensively as they spend most ot thier energy in the target and leave a very large wound track, bleed out / incapacitation is quick. Just learn how to handle such a potent load, muzzle blast is fearsome and recoil is stout as well. It can be done but takes practice.

I prefer such a powerful revolver for bedside or car use where carry size is not an issue. A Ruger Redhawk in 4" or 5" bbl solves the recoil problem but is very heavy. This is not a problem in your house or car.

Another advantage, the round is available in several nice carbines which will work well as a defensive long gun. Advantages of common rifle / pistolammo are many.

What ever gun you choose, learn how to use it. Skill and nerve are more important than caliber, bullet, make / model of gun etc.

PS: Per the over penetration issue, I recently had a nice internet discussion on this issue on another site.The Gentleman and Icame to see that my desire for more penetrative rounds was driven by my normal environment. Country setting, handling some animals as well as possible defensive needs. His job, requiring protection of clients in a crowded setting,drove hisneed forminimal penetration. We both, were right for our situations.

Carnivore

imported post

It'll be .44mag , .22mag, or .32acpin my house, If the BG takes time to discuss collateral damage, then we may be able to reach some sort of peaceful agreement. any sort of breech on my property will definitely be deliberate and provoked, because the BG will have to kick him/herself past 2 Irate dogs first..

mattypee

imported post

This is a very good discussion for me as-well, I live in Wisconsin, and I've had police officers actually tell me.."the first thing you wanna do is evade and call us" I laughed, but his face didn't move. Here in WI if you leave your door unlocked and someone comes in, and in the middle of robbing your computer or wallet they trip in get hurt....they can sue you. If a burglar ends up with bullet holes with gun powder residue around them or bullets in their back...you can expect manslaughter...or a fine. Anyway...my question is this...I have a cz-82 which chambers the 9x18 makarov cartridge, would hornady 95gr XTP suffice for self defense. From my bedside holster to the doorway which is 8 feet. I also have a Yugo m48 8mm, but I live in an apartment complex and I guarantee it will not only introduce the burglar to god..but my neighbors too.

Gunslinger

imported post

Just bought the 50th Anniversary Blackhawk set at a gun show. .44 and .357 mags, 6.5 and 4 5/8th " barrels, respectively, special gold marking on barrels, and nice wooden show case. Will shoot them this weekend. Had a .357 Blackhawk back in the day, and it was one of the nicest guns I've ever owned. Would carry the .357 for SD if in open areas without hesitation. Doubt I would carry the .44 mag for SD anywhere--maybe if in Grizzly bear country camping I'd take it along, but be carrying one of my .45 ACPs. The .44 is just too powerful for anything but hunting, which I don't do. In the wild, overpenetration may not be a problem, but it is everywhere else. Fun caliber to shoot, but I stick with the .45 or 9MM autos for SD. .357 is also fine, just harder to conceal.

As far as using it for justifiable self defense--you can use a .505 Gibbs if that's what you have. Just don't kill or injure anyone but the bad guy. In your home, if you have the right to use deadly force there is no such thing as "shoot to stop." The same applies out of your home, but with more restrictive interpretation. You either have or don't have the right to use DF. If you do, you do. And the caliber of your weapon--or the size of your baseball bat, is irrelevant. If you don't, the fact that you shot him with a .22 short won't help your case one bit.

Deanimator

imported post

My primary home defense gun is a 4" S&W 29-2 loaded with the .44 Special CCI Blazer 200gr. Gold Dots. As an alternative, I also have a few of the Federal 200gr. LSWC-HP that look like an enlarged version of the .38 Special "FBI" load.

Either of the above will get the job done and are very pleasant to fire in a 4" 29-2.

Deanimator

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
As far as using it for justifiable self defense--you can use a .505 Gibbs if that's what you have. Just don't kill or injure anyone but the bad guy. In your home, if you have the right to use deadly force there is no such thing as "shoot to stop." The same applies out of your home, but with more restrictive interpretation. You either have or don't have the right to use DF. If you do, you do. And the caliber of your weapon--or the size of your baseball bat, is irrelevant. If you don't, the fact that you shot him with a .22 short won't help your case one bit.
When faced with the credible, imminent threat of unlawful use of lethal force,my policy is toshoot to stop. Unfortunately for a wouldbe assailant, all of the reliable methods of stopping entail substantial chance of death. My chosen method is 200gr. Gold Dot .44 Specials out of a 4" .44 Magnum. For that reason, creating in me a reasonable immediate fear of life and limb is probably a bad idea.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Everyone should remember that if we shoot we do not shoot in order to kill, but rather in order to live. The best .44 Mag defense load is the load the bad guy will drop in his pants about 98% of the time upon being faced with the buiness end of this cannon before any shot is fired. That being said, don't draw ifn you dont sincerely intend to fire and are prepared to do so. Because in that 2% where the BG thinks you re bluffing, if you are he will take that big maggie away from you and stick it right up your a**.

rodbender

imported post

Pointman wrote:
how it blew my 8" log backstop apart, etc.
Want to have some real fun with Mag.? Stuff a small pistol primer in a hollow point and shoot that same backstop. Dang that's a lot of fun. Just make sure you jam it in tight with your thumb.

Alexcabbie

imported post

rodbender wrote:
Pointman wrote:
Want to have some real fun with Mag.? Stuff a small pistol primer in a hollow point and shoot that same backstop. Dang that's a lot of fun. Just make sure you jam it in tight with your thumb.
Wow, man what a great way to blow your thumb clean off. I understand it's also fun to play dodge-ball with lawn darts.:uhoh:

rodbender

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
rodbender wrote:
Pointman wrote:
Wow, man what a great way to blow your thumb clean off. I understand it's also fun to play dodge-ball with lawn darts.:uhoh:
Naw, as long as you don't try to wedge it in with a hammer, there's no problem. Done it bunches of times. Like shooting a .45 long colt or a .44 mag or special through a 410 single barrel break over.

mattypee

imported post

I have a cz-82 which chambers the 9x18 makarov cartridge, would hornady 95gr XTP suffice for self defense? From my bedside holster to the doorway which is 8 feet?

tarzan1888

imported post

asforme wrote:
What is the best defense ammo to be used in a .44 Magnum? It doesn't have to be magnum ammo if a .44 special will work that's fine I just need some recommendation as I'm not familiar with any of the companies I've found through my own searches. I was hoping to find something that won't over penetrate as this would be used for a carry/home defense in town. Thanks for your help.

The Box O Truth takes a look at the .44 Mag. as a defensive round.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu78.htm

Tarzan

Gunslinger

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
asforme wrote:
What is the best defense ammo to be used in a .44 Magnum? It doesn't have to be magnum ammo if a .44 special will work that's fine I just need some recommendation as I'm not familiar with any of the companies I've found through my own searches. I was hoping to find something that won't over penetrate as this would be used for a carry/home defense in town. Thanks for your help.

The Box O Truth takes a look at the .44 Mag. as a defensive round.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu78.htm

Tarzan
Interesting. To me, the speed of the follow-up shot is vital. That's why I prefer a .45 ACP for its stopping power and quick follow-up, even with +P loads. The .44Mag, if you download it to .44 special, is ok, but nowhere near as good as a .45 auto or .357 magnum in stopping power. In full .44 mag loads, forget a quick follow-up shot and the fear of over penetration is a real one. For personal defense, a .44 mag doesn't interest me--unless it's bears that I'm worried about. For fun shooting a few cylinders at the range--great gun.

Deanimator

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
The .44Mag, if you download it to .44 special, is ok, but nowhere near as good as a .45 auto or .357 magnum in stopping power.
Really? How's that? How do you define "download it to .44 Special"? Without specifics, that doesn't mean anything.

Are you saying that my .45acp bullseye handloads with a 200gr. LSWC over 3.7gr. of Bullseye is MORE powerful than the CCI .44 Special Blazer self-defense load with a 200gr. Gold Dot?

There's very little that a .45acp can do that a .44 Special can't, other than feed through an M1911.

tarzan1888

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
The .44Mag, if you download it to .44 special, is ok, but nowhere near as good as a .45 auto or .357 magnum in stopping power.
Really? How's that? How do you define "download it to .44 Special"? Without specifics, that doesn't mean anything.

Are you saying that my .45acp bullseye handloads with a 200gr. LSWC over 3.7gr. of Bullseye is MORE powerful than the CCI .44 Special Blazer self-defense load with a 200gr. Gold Dot?

There's very little that a .45acp can do that a .44 Special can't, other than feed through an M1911.

Other than being a little smaller than a .45 ACP, the .44Special has very similar balistics. (.45 ACP = .451, .44 Special = .429)

Tarzan

Gunslinger

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

Standard .44 specials vs +P .45 ACP is what I'm talking about. You can handload anything, and blow your hand off probably, to "prove" something. And 1 shot stopping power. Take a look at either the FBI standards or Evan Marshall's site. The .44 special, while a good load, doesn't stand up to the .45ACP 230JHP. And speed of the follow-on shot in a DA revolver--if you want reasonable accuracy and are shooting SA, is not in the same league with a top quality 1911. The same applies to the .357 vice .44 special. Marshall shows the .357 125gr JHP as the #1 stopper, followed very closely by the 230gr .45ACP--in standard pressure. The +P is that much better and probably beats the .357 now. The .44 special--and .44 magnum, are far down the list.