• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.44 Magnum Defense Ammo

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

What is the best defense ammo to be used in a .44 Magnum? It doesn't have to be magnum ammo if a .44 special will work that's fine I just need some recommendation as I'm not familiar with any of the companies I've found through my own searches. I was hoping to find something that won't over penetrate as this would be used for a carry/home defense in town. Thanks for your help.

41 Magnum

imported post

Cor-bon makes a load for exactly that purpose. It's a 165 grainer that moves out at about 1100.

That may sound weak, but most standard44 mag loads range froma little toa lotoverkill in an urban environment.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Unfortunately, I cannot find a test at boxotruth.com where they used .44Mag or .44Spc. The closestI could find was "cowboy loads", where they ran three .45LC rounds into the box o' truth; one JHP, one soft lead, and one special purpose wadcutter (overloaded to boot). All three went through the equivalent of a foot of soft tissue, and the SPWC round took out the entire box (36 inches of water, which is 18 of gel or soft tissue, and blew a hole in the back of the box). A .44Mag would probably be equivalent in power and penetrationto this last round.

If that inference is true, a .44Mag is an excellent manstopper, but not something I'd want to let off in a house. It will go through your BG and the rest of the house behind him, and may or may not be stopped by your brick walls. That means if someone is behind those walls in line with the bullet you are going to get them too.

To be fair, you could say that about most handgun loads. Though most quality hollowpoints will expand as designed in soft tissue andthus expend more energy and be less likely to get through the BG with enough force to pose a serious threat to what's behind,a missed shot is likely to "choke" on drywall and fail to expand. When that happens it acts just like a ball round.

If you use that gun, I'd load it with something of a little lower power, such asa .44 Special.

Orygunner

imported post

I see potential nasty legal problems with using a .44 Mag as well.

Although most self defense shootings do not get prosecuted, if the state does decide you need to be tried for murder or manslaughter, you'd better believe your choice of caliber is going to be brought up as "excessive."

If you have to shoot someone with a .44 Magnum, the prosecution is going to point out it is more powerful than the cartridge commonly used by Law Enforcement. They are going to paint you as being hell bent to destroy, picking the same round used by "Dirty Harry" so you could blow people's heads "clean off."

Even if the DA doesn't prosecute, if self defense shootings are not protected by law in your state, the .44 Mag couldstill work against you in civil court if the family of the exploded attacker wants to get rich at your misery & expense.

If you just don't have another gun, I'd sure recommend the .44 Special rounds. From charts I've seen, it's muzzle energy is a little better than a 9mm.

...Orygunner...

imperialism2024

imported post

Uh-oh... here we go with the "don't carry too effective of a round or it's a legal liability".

I want to stop a threat. I don't want the threat shooting back while in the process of being stopped. It's that simple. Yes, single-shot stopping power is largely mythical, but I will carry the round that will give me the best chance at stopping the threat with one shot, and that I can practice with readily enough to ensure I get a shot on-target. I will not rely on a second shot to get the job done because... like I said, I don't want to get shot back.

Not to mention that playing the "what looks best to a jury" game is more of an intellectual (and I use that term loosely) exercise than a practical application. Just carrying a gun can be seen as "looking for trouble". If you want to make sure that the prosecution won't spin your actions as excessive force, you must make sure to use no weapons at all, not even improvised weapons, not even a handful of coins to throw in the attacker's face. Just your bare hands. And only if you never exercised or weight trained in your life, lest you be labeled as "trying to be like Bruce Lee." In fact, you should probably not even try to fight back or defend yourself, since then the jury will think you're some sort of vigilante. If you're a woman and getting raped, you better act like you enjoy it, or else the jury might think you're a feminist activist who doesn't like sex. But I digress. Yes, a prosecutor can use your choice of caliber against you... but if he can't do that, he'll use the testimony from a high school teacher who didn't like you, or the fact that you rented Unforgiven from Blockbuster the week before. But IANAL.

So, that'll be a .44 Magnum for me, then. :celebrate

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The main worry here is not the police state prosecutors who would rather have us lie down and die anyway because then they'd have a more notorious case to prosecute. The point is having something that will stop the threat, but not kill everyone or everything behind it.

At the current moment buying a new gun is not practical and it's currently sitting loaded with 20 year old Lead Hollow Point ammo that will go through the threat and all the way across town. I need to convince this person to buy some better and less dangerous ammo and I need the best recommendation possible because until a new gun is feasible, this is the defense gun that will be used in this house.

From what I can find, frangible ammo does not have reliable stopping power, but any .44 Magnum that isn't frangible is going to go through anything and everything. So if .44 special ammo will serve the purpose that's fine, but it seems that selection for .44 special is pretty limited.

41 Magnum

imported post

It seems my post was missed. So again:

Try to get a hold of that load from cor-bon I posted earlier.

It was designed speciffically for use as a self defense round. That's why it's light for the caliber, and moves out pretty slow(at or right at sub-sonic).

This way you don't get the sonic crack, over penetration, or heavy recoil that a 44 is noted for. The last itembeing a BIG plus if a second shot is needed.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I did miss your post, thanks for the tip. So cor-bon makes this 165Grain round in both 44 special and 44 mag.

https://www.dakotaammo.net/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21_44&products_id=66&osCsid=ef4cf35509351c28c6bb7df45988a0dc
44 REM MAG 165 GR. JHP 1300 FPS/ 619 FTLBS 20 ROUND BOX

Is even this light load still going to be too much penetration?

Here's the .44 special
https://www.dakotaammo.net/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21_45&products_id=74&osCsid=ef4cf35509351c28c6bb7df45988a0dc
44 S&W SPEC 165 GR. JHP 1050 FPS/404 FTLBS 20 ROUND BOX

41 Magnum

imported post

Not really. That's a really light slug given the diameter. Doesn't have much sectional density. This leads toshallow(relatively) penetration. And assuming it starts expanding as designed, at that pointit'll startslowing down in abig hurry.

Cor-bon set that up for optimal terminal ballistics. They COULD have driven it toaround 2,000fps safely in this caliber. But that would have defeated its intent.

41 Magnum

imported post

ONE THING TO NOTE:

Your POA/POI could be wildly different than the standard 240@13-1400 fps that your gun is most likely sighted in for.

So it'd be best to shoota couple boxes at varying distances so you know where YOUR gun hits. I've found that under the25-30 feet that would be your most likely distance it's not much different, but when you get outpast that it starts getting interesting.