• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wrongful Conviction for "firearm" possession

Thundar

imported post

mobeewan wrote:
However, my point in makingmy post was andas in the original post, neither person had a "firearm". He should be charged and convictedfor robberies and go to jail, buthe shoudn't be convicted for a"firearm". It will be wrong for theprosecuterto comment about his use of a "firearm" at the sentencing to try to get him more time by implying the persons being robbed were in danger of loosing their lives. In either case itstill isn'ta "firearm".

I have to disagree. The felon who merely carried a pellet gun did not show it or threaten anybody with it. In the Eighth Grader's case the broken BB gun was used to commit the robbery. That is a big difference.

In Virginia if somebody points what appears to be a gun at me without provocation, then they have committed the crime of brandishing.If people are made to fear for their lives, whether the gun is real or not,then I think it should be armed robbery.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thundar wrote:
If people are made to fear for their lives, whether the gun is real or not,then I think it should be armed robbery.
I disagree, the crime of armed robbery should not be based on the feelings of the victims. Instead the difference between robbery and armed robbery, is the determination of the perpetrator. In the case of Armed robbery, it is a more severe offense because the possession and use of a deadly weapon indicates that the thief was willing to mortally wound or kill in order to get his loot, where someone who is committing a robber unarmed, presumably is not willing to take a life and has not shown evidence of being as dangerous of an individual as the armed robber has.

By possessing a fake gun, the criminal obviously did not have intent to mortally wound or kill any of his victims.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

asforme wrote:
By possessing a fake gun, the criminal obviously did not have intent to mortally wound or kill any of his victims.
Possibly. Here's another possibility ... The criminal couldn't get hold of a real gun at that moment, so used the BB gun he could get and figured if someone didn't cooperate that he would just use the cheapy BB gun to beat them to death because their property and life mean nothing to him.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

A steel toed boot would be just as effective. Does having a steel toed boot while committing a robbery make it armed robbery?

Neplusultra

imported post

Hokie wrote:
under a 2004 Virginia law allowing prisoners to present new, non-DNA evidence of their innocence.

Yes, because we want to make sure we keep innocent people in jail. How dare you prove your innocence!
That's right! I'm innocent but that's not going to stop the FBI or the CA from railroading me :^).

savery

imported post

da7f2q8 wrote:
However, tests conducted by the Virginia Department of Forensic Science later determined the weapon he had was a "gas gun" that does not fit the definition of a firearm under state law. A gas gun uses compressed gas to fire a round, whereas state law defines a firearm as an instrument "intended to expel a projectile by means of an explosion."

In that case, I don't own any firearms as defined by Virginia law. Smokeless powder doesn't explode, it BURNS. To get technical, a smokeless powder firearm is a "gas gun" as the burning of the powder creates gasses that expell the projectile. A black powder firearm does, however fire by creating an "explosion."

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

savery wrote:
da7f2q8 wrote:
However, tests conducted by the Virginia Department of Forensic Science later determined the weapon he had was a "gas gun" that does not fit the definition of a firearm under state law. A gas gun uses compressed gas to fire a round, whereas state law defines a firearm as an instrument "intended to expel a projectile by means of an explosion."
In that case, I don't own any firearms as defined by Virginia law. Smokeless powder doesn't explode, it BURNS. To get technical, a smokeless powder firearm is a "gas gun" as the burning of the powder creates gasses that expell the projectile. A black powder firearm does, however fire by creating an "explosion."
Point and counter point but I don't think that I'll take that to court with me.:)

Yata ehy

nitrovic

imported post

Maybe the gun was unloaded. In that case it would have been (and was) sent to the lab.