• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DC police official admits semi-auto ban might not really be enforceable!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

“[Assistant Police Chief Peter J.] Newsham said if anyone shows up to register a semiautomatic pistol that fits the city's definition of a machine gun, police will confiscate the gun but will not immediately arrest the owner. But he said police reserve the right to investigate and eventually file charges.” Paul Duggan, Gun Registrations Off To Slow Start in D.C., Washington Post, B01, July 18, 2008, available at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/17/AR2008071700621.html?sid=ST2008071702695&pos=.

N00blet45

imported post

Well most Americans don't tolerate it. Hence the reason you'll see a lot of "I'll never go through *insert anti-gun state/territory*." You also see headlines when someone is OCing and is stopped for no reason, like in Pennsylvania. I think the general idea is that the sheeple stay in places like DC, NY, and CA while the people who want to be free move to other places and exercise their freedom. It's sad that we don't stage a 'million armed-citizen march'. We'd all be branded criminals at that point and they'd probably call in the national guard. People aren't going to protest since the ones in those places share the sheeple mentality and the people not in those places have their rights.

Legba

imported post

So much for the right not to be denied life, liberty, or property without due process, and the right to a speedy trial, apart from the 2A considerations. Looks like they have no regard for any of the amendments. Why not quarter troops at Heller's place while they're at it? They can violate posse comitatus also by making sure he doesn't have any "machine guns."

-ljp

yeahYeah

imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
Well most Americans don't tolerate it. Hence the reason you'll see a lot of "I'll never go through *insert anti-gun state/territory*." You also see headlines when someone is OCing and is stopped for no reason, like in Pennsylvania. I think the general idea is that the sheeple stay in places like DC, NY, and CA while the people who want to be free move to other places and exercise their freedom. It's sad that we don't stage a 'million armed-citizen march'. We'd all be branded criminals at that point and they'd probably call in the national guard. People aren't going to protest since the ones in those places share the sheeple mentality and the people not in those places have their rights.
those you talk about are still a small percentage of the overall population. If most Americans were truly like you say, the east and west coasts would be uninhabited, but people get lazy, apathetic and complacent and they just sit and take it. most do not even know their own rights or think there is a way out.

if Americans would stand up and protest and organize like the leftists do for every cause, i am sure it would be different.

yeahYeah

imported post

it would nice to have something like or similar to that happen in this country. to bad pro-american protests and gathering never garner the same media coverage as anti-war and pro-abortion protests.

Cowboy_Rick

imported post

You can almost smell those new "$20.00's" coming off the press! I don't want my tax money going for any "BAIL OUT" for D.C.-this needs to come out of the pockets of the "LAME BRAINS" that got this mess on the books! Don't think that the Chief of Police in D.C. should even be considered for "DOG CATCHER"!

falcon1

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
What semi-automatic pistols do NOT fit their definition of machine gun? :banghead:

ALL semi-automatic pistols fit their definition of machine gun. Anything which has a detachable magazine fits their definition (as I understand it), because a magazine for any semi-automatic pistol could potentially be manufactured that holds more than eleven rounds. If that potential exists, its a machine gun per DC.

If I am incorrect in this, I'm sure someone will correct me. :)

thorvaldr

imported post

falcon1 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
What semi-automatic pistols do NOT fit their definition of machine gun? :banghead:

ALL semi-automatic pistols fit their definition of machine gun. Anything which has a detachable magazine fits their definition (as I understand it), because a magazine for any semi-automatic pistol could potentially be manufactured that holds more than eleven rounds. If that potential exists, its a machine gun per DC.

That's the way I read it, too. They also specifically ban semi-auto handguns, anyway. They also don't say anything about caliber so a Ruger 1022 is also a machine gun.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

thorvaldr wrote:
falcon1 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:

That's the way I read it, too. They also specifically ban semi-auto handguns, anyway. They also don't say anything about caliber so a Ruger 1022 is also a machine gun.
Laff, that was my point.

I seem to remember reading about some old, early semi-auto pistols that had internal mags, or perhaps those were just one off prototypes.

Sea_Chicken

imported post

Things like this are why our militia rights are preserved. I remember reading somwhere and order for militia to seize the capitol if things got this out of hand i might be wrong but I do belive it's somwhere in the constitution I cameover it a couple years ago and found it interesting.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The District of Corruption is an abomination and an insult to America, liberty and freedom. I will cheer, laugh and raise a toast the day it is dissolved.

Deanimator

imported post

It's nice to see that they have an unlimited budget for settlements and judgements arising out of their unconstitutional and criminal actions... No, wait. They DON'T.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Deanimator wrote:
It's nice to see that they have an unlimited budget for settlements and judgements arising out of their unconstitutional and criminal actions... No, wait. They DON'T.
They have a budget as large as the amount they can confiscate from the citizens

Deanimator

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Deanimator wrote:
They have a budget as large as the amount they can confiscate from the citizens
That's bad news for them. There aren't that many of them, and a lot of them don't pay taxes.

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
imported post

thorvaldr wrote:
So when is the 'million armed-citizen march'? I need to plan vacation, get one of those chrome AK's, stuff like that.

We really do need to have an ARMED rally on the steps of the local DC gov. About a million of us... There's no way they could deal with that... AND DEMAND REDRESS

I WILL go with lots of other gun owners all packing all OC, wouln't do it by myself though... end up in the clink forever that way.