• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Training & Certification For Open Carry?

Bunker

imported post

:cool: OK, Lets say they allow open carry in Milwaukee and the surrounding communities....

1. Should "permits" be issued to those who want to "open carry"? (simular to whats issued to PI's & security persons)

2. Should training & certification be required? (To obtain a CCW in most states require training & certification before a permit is issued)

b. If yes, how many hours of training should be required?

3. Should those who carry a firearm be required to have a liabilty insurance policy in case they shoot a bystander?

BONUS Q ~ If CCW were allowed in Wisconsin, should CCW holders be required to have a liabilty insurance policy in case they shoot a bystander?

:celebrate

Teej

imported post

Trolls.jpg

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Bunker wrote:
:cool: OK, Lets say they allow open carry in Milwaukee and the surrounding communities....

1. Should "permits" be issued to those who want to "open carry"? (simular to whats issued to PI's & security persons)

2. Should training & certification be required? (To obtain a CCW in most states require training & certification before a permit is issued)

3. Should those who carry a firearm be required to have a liabilty insurance policy in case they shoot a bystander?

BONUS Q ~ If CCW were allowed in Wisconsin, should CCW holders be required to have a liabilty insurance policy in case they shoot a bystander?

:celebrate

Kind of a moot point - open carry is already lawful without any training, license or other encumbrances, as the Constitutions require. E.g.[/i][/b], Nunn v. State[/i][/b], 1 Ga. 243, 246, 250–251 (1846) (striking down similarly broad ban on openly carrying weapons on Second Amendment grounds); State v. Kerner[/i][/b], 107 S.E. 222 (1921) (state requirement for license to carry handguns openly in public is unconstitutional under North Carolina constitution). See also[/i][/b] State v. Bolin[/i], ___ S.E.2d ___, 2008 WL 2078141, 2 (S.C. 2008) (state statute banning handgun possession for persons under 21 years of age violates South Carolina constitution as applied to persons aged 18-20 years of age).

See also District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. ___, ___, slip op. at 64 (2008) (“At the time of the founding, as now, to ‘bear’ meant to, ‘carry.’ . . . [ in Muscarello[/i][/b] w]e think that JUSTICE GINSBURG accurately captured the natural meaning of “bear arms.” Although the phrase implies that the carrying of the weapon is for the purpose of ‘offensive or defensive action,’ it in no way connotes participation in a structured military organization.”) (quoting Muscarello v. United States[/i][/b], 524 U. S. 125, 143 (1998) (quoting Black’s Law Dictionary 214 (6th ed. 1998) (Ginsberg, J., dissenting)).

Further, “we hold that the District’s ban on handgun possession in the home violates the Second Amendment, as does its prohibition against rendering any lawful firearm in the home operable for the purpose of immediate self-defense." Id.[/i][/b] at 64

Max

imported post

No! We should never need a permit to exercise a constitutional right. Our permits already exists in the constitutions (state and federal).

I have no problem with a certification but no required training. In order to be certified, one need only pass a proficiency test.

None. One need only pass a proficiency test. How they gain the knowledge is up to the individual.

That decision should be made by the individual not government.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Bunker wrote:
Ask a ligit question and get anassanine answers from a pair ofass's.
Unfortunately for you it's not a ligit question, it only masquerades as a ligit question. Your premise is false, as Mike pointed out. Therefore it's a fallacious argument. I believe the technical term should be "argumentum ad fellatio" a phrase I've coined to describe an argument that is so bad, it sucks.

"They" already allow OC in Milwaukee and surrounding communities. It's allowed from Kenosha to Superior, from Green Bay to Prairie du Chien or any other way you wish to measure the length and width of the state. Someday you should try to give an explanation as to why you, contrary to common sense, do not believe that the law actually means what it says.

The only way you could have formed your questions in a legitimate way would have been to say, "Don't you think that the state ought to pass legislation requiring people to have training, permits and insurance?" (It would have to be state legislation, since as has been pointed out many times in class-- if you were paying attention-- cities, villages, towns and counties don't have the authority to pass or enforce any such ordinance. ) Of course to be completely thorough in your questions, then you ought to also ask whether such hypothetical legislation would stand up to constitutional challenges.

smithman

imported post

I believe Bunker has an ulterior motive with his posts. I will no longer respond to anything he says. He keeps changing his positions, keeps spreading misinformation, and doesn't care about the difference between rights and privileges. Furthermore, he thinks we all just want to carry a gun to get respect and for no other reason like protecting our loved ones and our property. It could be a ploy for making us out as a bunch of crazies. It could be a ploy to see how much we know for a DA to try toattack us later on. We'll never know, but something stinks here.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bunker wrote:
:cool: they allow open carry in Milwaukee and the surrounding communities....

He has SEEN the light,

HAL - LE - LU - JAH! HAL - LE - LU - JAH!

HAL-LE - LU-JAH! HAL-LE - LU-JAH! HAL - LE - LE-JAH!

Teej

imported post

Bunker wrote:
Ask a ligit question and get anassanine answers from a pair ofass's.

Bunker, I don't know who you are, but there's very little legit about you.

You cite ordinances/statutes that don't exist and make claims that municipalities can just use each other's statutes...

Case in point...you keep referring to "City and County of Milwaukee" ordinance 105-34. 105-34 is a City of Milwaukee statute only. Chapter 105 in Milwaukee County code is nothing but a policy statement from the County Commission of Family Resources.

City of Milwaukee cod 105-34 was last touched in a substantive manner in 1990. Years before the preemptions statute passed. That was the entire point of the preemption statute - to block the disparate laws around the state.

Your schpiel didn't fly on the SecurityInfoWatch forums, it didn't fly on Wisconsinshooters, and it isn't going to fly here.