• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question for the "Smarter ones"

Shanew1

imported post

Does a fire arm have to be registered? if so what law requires it?

i was curious because I don’t want to purchase a fire arm from a gun dealer or store, i would rather get it from Joe blow who is selling his,

i understand the issues of buying from a private person i.e. he killed someone with it 10 years ago.

But my understanding of buying from a dealer is that the background/waiting period is that now the FBI, and Police now know i have a weapon. My personal opinion its none of there damn business what kind of weapons I own, but I digress.

When you get stopped for OC do they run a registration check?

Thanks

Trigger Dr

imported post

There is not an "official registration" of firearms in this state, BUT if LEO runs a CPL check on you, every firearm that you have purchased from a dealer will come up make, model, calibre and Serial #.

Some how that smacks of an illegal list.

DrewGunner

imported post

Question for the "Smarter ones"....

Well, I'll stay outta this one then.. haha

4757-cheech-marin.jpg

deanf

imported post

Officer discretion. If they disarm you for officer safety (which it seems they have the authority to do) then they may run the serial number of the gun for stolen and registration. As there is no requirement for all handguns to be registered in WA, the fact that there is no registration record on a particular gun means nothing.

Is it legal for them to run it? Well, I would say that the plain sight rule applies. If they can see the serial number in plain sight, they have the authority to run it. No different than running a license plate that is in plain sight, which they do all the time with no PC or RS.

Bear 45/70

imported post

deanf wrote:

Officer discretion. If they disarm you for officer safety (which it seems they have the authority to do) then they may run the serial number of the gun for stolen and registration. As there is no requirement for all handguns to be registered in WA, the fact that there is no registration record on a particular gun means nothing.

Is it legal for them to run it? Well, I would say that the plain sight rule applies. If they can see the serial number in plain sight, they have the authority to run it. No different than running a license plate that is in plain sight, which they do all the time with no PC or RS.
Officer safety is an azzhat's way of circumventing your Constitutional rights. How can a holstered gun be a danger to anyone?

Bear 45/70

imported post

deanf wrote:
Officer safety is an azzhat's way of circumventing your Constitutional rights. How can a holstered gun be a danger to anyone?

I agree. Their answer might be "you might pull it out and shoot someone."
Hell, I might explode like a sun going nova too, but not likely. If cops wants a safe job they need to become ananny and give up being a cop. They knew it was dangerous going in. Now they want officer safety. They are as bad as the NAACP.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

No gun registration. Not illegal to purchase a crime gun in good faith. Not illegal to purchase a gun in good faith. Get a reciept with the seller's name and DL #.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
No gun registration. Not illegal to purchase a crime gun in good faith. Not illegal to purchase a gun in good faith. Get a reciept with the seller's name and DL #.
If you are going to expect the sellers name and DOL, be willing to give yours as well.

Personally,I won't do a private sale to someone unless they have a CPL. I check the CPL andDOL, but don't record either if the buyer is uncomfortable with that. If he wants include both of our info on a receipt,I have no problem with that and I get a copy as well.

I think gun owners have a responsibility to make sure the folks who aren't suppose to have guns don't get them on the secondary market.There is a big push to ban private sales or require the same checks as dealers on them. The best chance of keeping that from happening is if we "regulate" ourselves and act responsibly.

As far as registration of handguns aquired from a dealer, yes the info is there at the state level. Since there is no law against this record, it is not an "illegal" list.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

deanf wrote:

Well if a firearm is in a holster, the serial number itself is not in plain site, at least the guns that I have. It's harassment, plain and simple. If the gun turns out hot or stolen, under Arizona v. Hicks and Florida v. J.L, them running your serial number allowed you to get off scott free under 4th amendment and Article 1, Section 7.

just_a_car

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
Well if a firearm is in a holster, the serial number itself is not in plain site, at least the guns that I have. It's harassment, plain and simple. If the gun turns out hot or stolen, under Arizona v. Hicks and Florida v. J.L, them running your serial number allowed you to get off scott free under 4th amendment and Article 1, Section 7.
Unfortunately, that's not the case for me. The stock GLOCK barrel has a serial number at the top of the right side of the chamber, which just barely sticks out above the Serpa CQC holster. So, unless I get a holster that covers more of the firearm, it would fall into plain-sight. :?

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Unfortunately, that's not the case for me. The stock GLOCK barrel has a serial number at the top of the right side of the chamber, which just barely sticks out above the Serpa CQC holster. So, unless I get a holster that covers more of the firearm, it would fall into plain-sight. :?
Thaty ain't no problem at all. Mr. Dremel will fix it right up ;). Nothing wrong with removing the SN from barrel or slide, just don't tinker with the one on the frame.

Izzle

imported post

I don't think you can remove ANY of the markings at least that's what I understand:

RCW 9.31.140

No person may change, alter, remove, or obliterate the name of the maker, model, manufacturer's number, or other mark of identification on any firearm. Possession of any firearm upon which any such mark shall have been changed, altered, removed, or obliterated, shall be prima facie evidence that the possessor has changed, altered, removed, or obliterated the same. This section shall not apply to replacement barrels in old firearms, which barrels are produced by current manufacturers and therefor do not have the markings on the barrels of the original manufacturers who are no longer in business. This section also shall not apply if the changes do not make the firearm illegal for the person to possess under state or federal law.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Izzle wrote:
I don't think you can remove ANY of the markings at least that's what I understand:

RCW 9.31.140

No person may change, alter, remove, or obliterate the name of the maker, model, manufacturer's number, or other mark of identification on any firearm. Possession of any firearm upon which any such mark shall have been changed, altered, removed, or obliterated, shall be prima facie evidence that the possessor has changed, altered, removed, or obliterated the same. This section shall not apply to replacement barrels in old firearms, which barrels are produced by current manufacturers and therefor do not have the markings on the barrels of the original manufacturers who are no longer in business. This section also shall not apply if the changes do not make the firearm illegal for the person to possess under state or federal law.
Simple, buy an after market barrel and the problem will be solved.:D

deanf

imported post

This section also shall not apply if the changes do not make the firearm illegal for the person to possess under state or federal law.

Since, under federal law, the frame is the firearm, the above proviso would seem to apply to removing a serial number from a barrel.