• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Portland Water Bureau

Cremator75

imported post

It is kind of unclear if they mean carrying a gun or shooting a gun. It says

"The Folling Activities Are Prohibited On This Site:"
Firearms or Hunting.

The only "activity" I know to do with a gun is shoot it.

It also says "Smoking Inside of Park Buildings"
Does this mean you can't even carry in your unused pack of Marlboro's?

You could plead ignorence if called on this one.

Besides it also says "No Violation of any Local, State or Federal Law or Regulation" which you would not be breaking any of. The only ones being broken are by their sign if it is really public property.

ccw9mm

imported post

According to the PWB's web site, PWB "... proudly owns and maintains Dodge Park ..."

So, "private" property, eh? Seems pretty clear that a department within the Portland city government officially falls under ORS 166.170 (preemption) restrictions against any government entity's finagling.

Ironically, though unsurprisingly, the PWB's official policy and posting of "no firearms" directly contradicts their own sign/policy. Read the last line on the list of prohibitions:

The following activities are prohibited in Dodge Park:
Violation of any local, state or federal law or regulation.​

Cremator75

imported post

johnnyb wrote:
how is "firearms" an activity
I'm not the one who made the sign, but under prohibited activities it says "Firearms". I would interpret an activity as doing something, or the act of using, shooting or discharging a firearm.

I think we all know their really trying to ban guns from the park, but they worded their sign funny. Not that they can ban them anyway as ccw9mm stated.