• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Securing guns and ammunition in the home

GoldCoaster

imported post

I've recently purchased a 45 handgun and have some long rifles that I've had since my teenage years. I've got kids in the house as well (9/11) and we've had a frank discussion about firearms, safety, rules if you find one (NRA eagle thing).

My question is this, in order to secure said weapons I have a couple of options, I can put the handgun in the safe which makes it pretty tough to get at - but for me as well and secure the ammo in a locked ammobox which is then chained to a structural part of the house (around a lolly column).

An easier method for me would be to secure the handgun using a cable lock for the job, and then lock that in the ammo container, which is then locked and chained to the column. Even though the ammo and the handgun are together, it takes two lock removals to get in a position to fire.

That's currently how I have everything secured, I'm just wondering if it's enough or if I need to separate the two and make it that much more difficult for me to get to stuff as well.

I'm just asking for other folks advice as to what they've done (without too much detail of course) and if they have kids, and any issues you've had that I can avoid.

thanks a lot in advance

Goldcoaster

LKB3rd

imported post

You can get a small "quick access " safe for one handgun that you want to keep accessible for defense. They make them with push-button number combo locks, and others are made with finger scanning access, where you can set it to open only for who you decide to set it to, by putting your hand on it. It pops open when a permitted person does this.

GoldCoaster

imported post

Yes I've seen those, in fact I'm probably going to purchase the standard version with two levels.

My main concern was am I doing enough locking the pistol with a pistol lock and then locking that in a metal ammocase with the ammo in it.

Appreciate the post

LKB3rd

imported post

Is this for guns you want to store, or the ones you want to (hopefully never have to) use for defense? If it is for the ones you plan to have on hand to use for defense, it seems like that is too much to have to do during a stressful time ? Is it to make sure your children don't get at them, or for theft protection? (edit) I guess probably both.
One thing you can do with the kids is to have a policy that they are allowed to look at them and/or handle them any time they want, all they have to do is ask you. You obviously would teach them the safe handling rules thoroughly, and supervise closely anytime this happens. This is intended to have the effect of removing the mystery of the guns, so they are less likely to go snooping around on their own to get a look at them.
It sounds to me like double locking them, with a cable lock and inside a locked box (is that a safe, or just a metal box?) would be fine, but that is your decision since you know your children and your comfort level better than I do.
Once you settle on a locking method that works for you, you could leave them locked like that when you aren't around, and transfer one to the quick access safe when you are home... maybe next to the bed when you go to sleep?

GoldCoaster

imported post

Ah sorry, I wasn't being clear. At the moment (until I get myself one of those fingerpad combo safes) this is just for safe storage without quick access. Kid proof and hopefully theft resistant.

I've had the discussion with both kids, they've handled the unloaded weapon and I've drilled safe handling into them. Both want to go to the range and shoot the 45 but I'll start them out on something that shoots 22LR until they can handle something that large. A few years yet.

Thanks