• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any suggestions for the Texas Bill Board?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Also - what about locations for bill boards - anybody have knowledge of cool spots and prices?

How about electronic billboards?

We have a draft done and then re-done by corporate art work people - looks good but we want to keep it a surprize for now - - but if anybody else has ideas, do a draft and post here - a power point slide should work for concept even though the dimensions are off.

John and I just want a gut check on what others think it should look like - I am sure some professional marketers and artists are on their board so have at it.

We are probably going final by like Tuesdayish next week or so.

We went thru a couple od drafts - it is hard to keep it so simple that folks can get the point driving by at 65+ MPH and hundreds of yards away!

rodbender

imported post

I don't know of these things, what works and what doesn't. I think it should have txcdl.org and opencarry.org on it. I'm sure you've already thought of that though.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

rodbender wrote:
I think it should have txcdl.org and opencarry.org on it.
Well, there is only so much room on a bill board, abnd TxCDL has done nothing to raise money for the billboard.

I just checked txcdl.org and it has no mention of the petition nor link to it on the site. Fiurther, Txcdl.org seems pretty inactive - I have seen no alerts by them on this subject at all - in fact, they have issue no alerts in months!

I am kind of leerie about directing people to a link where there is no link to the petition nor is the group active on the issue.

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm certainly no artist, but just some ideas, playing along the lines that others havethe open carryright, but you don't.....

"The Right of TEXANS to Keep and BEAR arms, shall NOT be INFRINGED.."

"Texas, It's Your Right Too"

"Texas, Why do citizens of 44 other states have theRIGHT TO BEAR ARMS, but you don't?"

Concealed Carry is aPriviledge, Nota RIGHT. Texans should have the RIGHT to BEAR arms.

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I would think that if you could get a photo of Roger Staubach and David Robinson wearing a firearm, it would be a done deal... :lol:

After thinking about it a bit, something showing the concept of protection like the photo above with the family of 4, and I don't want to come across as sexist, but for Texas(yes I grew up there), I would show the man as carrying, not the lady. Something like that.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think for a billboard it should have a closeup of a gun in a holster on somebody's waist. It should be close enough to not distinguish anything about the person carrying it. Billboards need to be instantly recognizable and a holstered gun may be lost in a photo if it's is not quickly seen. No one driving has time to stare at a billboard.

A picture like this:
CCP.jpg

It could also say something like:

EXPOSE your RIGHTS
Support Open Carry in Texas
OpenCarry.org

Edited for SGT Jensen's OCD.:dude:

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

asforme has a good idea....

A simple eye popping picture with few words, there is only a few seconds to look at a billboard as you drive by.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I like asforme's image: neartly dressed, business-like, with a quality holster (though perhaps a retention strap would make it look safer).

Agree the message should be short and to the point:

OPEN CARRY: A RIGHT, NOT A PRIVILEGE.

opencarry.org

(And if its an electronic billboard, make sure to include our famous dancing bananas! :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate)

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yeah, that image was just something I found quickly through google. I think it's advertising the holster in which case it's copyrighted and can't be used anyway.

One of the good things about that particular holster though is that it is tan and stands out from the clothing. A stainless gun in it would make it stand out even more and I agree that a holster for OC advertisement should have recognizable retention.

Here's another illustration with more casual dress.
(this is an advertisement for a desantis holster, but it has very good contrast, black gun on a white shirt inside a tan holster with a thumb snap.
desantisholster_2009_51101446

Bflamante

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Open Carry, legal in California, but NOT Texas. Are you OK with being more liberal than California?

or

The same question as above, but with a question of open carry legal. Put a check box next to a few states for yes, but a no check for texas.

or

A picture of an OC holstered gun with the quote WHY, BECAUSE WE ARE TEXANS!

or

Perhaps a play on the phrase "All hat and no cattle" "All conservative and No gunrights"

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Anyone know any Texas celebrities that would endorse open carry? Someone like Tommy Lee Jones or one of the sports guys. Maybe you could get a photo of Eva Longoria sporting a nice holster/gun combo - some kind of fashion statement. :cool:

rodbender

imported post

Mike wrote:
rodbender wrote:
I think it should have txcdl.org and opencarry.org on it.
Well, there is only so much room on a bill board, abnd TxCDL has done nothing to raise money for the billboard.

I just checked txcdl.org and it has no mention of the petition nor link to it on the site. Fiurther, Txcdl.org seems pretty inactive - I have seen no alerts by them on this subject at all - in fact, they have issue no alerts in months!

I am kind of leerie about directing people to a link where there is no link to the petition nor is the group active on the issue.
Yeah, I get frustrated with it, too. I've tried to get some activated but nothing seems to work. The pres put out a notice of a meeting some time back and nothing since. It does get frustrating.

rodbender

imported post

Needs to sound Texan, but not menacing.How about

IT'S LEGAL TO OPENLY CARRY YOUR SIDEARM IN 44 STATES

TEXAS AIN'T ONE OF 'EM

WE NEED TOFIX THAT

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

rodbender wrote:
Needs to sound Texan, but not menacing.How about

IT'S LEGAL TO OPENLY CARRY YOUR SIDEARM IN 44 STATES

TEXAS AIN'T ONE OF 'EM

WE NEED TOFIX THAT
Rodbender,
I like that idea. For brevity's sake, since folks will be going AT LEAST 70 mph anywhere in Texas, ;) how about:

YOU CAN OPEN CARRY IN 44 STATES

TEXAS AIN'T ONE OF 'EM

WE NEED TO FIX THAT !

rodbender

imported post

IN 44 STATES IT'S LEGAL TO CARRY YOUR SIDEARM IN THE OPEN

opencarry.org JOIN US

CITIZENS FOR THE IN THE FIGHT

SECOND AMENDMENT FOR TRUE FREEDOM

TEXAS AIN'T ONE OF 'EM WE NEED TO FIX THAT

How about a white background with a picture in the center?

I've got some time on my hands this morning. You can't tell, can you?

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

rodbender wrote:
IN 44 STATES IT'S LEGAL TO CARRY YOUR SIDEARM IN THE OPEN

opencarry.org JOIN US

CITIZENS FOR THE IN THE FIGHT

SECOND AMENDMENT FOR TRUE FREEDOM

TEXAS AIN'T ONE OF 'EM WE NEED TO FIX THAT

How about a white background with a picture in the center?

I've got some time on my hands this morning. You can't tell, can you?
Short and sweet, easy to remember. That's the key. I really think the header pic of people in a diverse demographic OC'ing would be best. When folks looked at the website and saw the familiar picture something would click.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PrayingForWar wrote:
I really think the header pic of people in a diverse demographic OC'ing would be best. When folks looked at the website and saw the familiar picture something would click.
Their sidearms do not stand out enough. From a distance at 70MPH they will just look like a bunch of people and will not draw any attention to the issue.

Here's another idea. A picture of someone sweating in a parka under a texas flag in the sun. Then in big letters:

Printing is a CRIME in Texas!
Legalize Open Carry

Of course that may mean little or nothing to people who are not already CCers, but who are we advertising to exactly?

rodbender

imported post

PrayingForWar wrote:
Short and sweet, easy to remember. That's the key. I really think the header pic of people in a diverse demographic OC'ing would be best. When folks looked at the website and saw the familiar picture something would click.
I think a pic like the one above. How about a pic of the girl on the homepage. Not her face, but just enough of her body showing or the right angle to let you know it's a nice figured female, yet focused on the holster and sidearm. Somewhat less intimidating than aman carrying a gun, but it lets you know she's prepared to protect herself if need be.