• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Guy comment and question.

DEROS72

imported post

My name is Jim and am new to this forum . A little about me;I am a Vietnam vet an artist and work with veteran affairs partime.I have worked with Congressman Reichert on a couple of occasions.I am indeed impressed by the quality of people and posts on thes threads and also the information .First a coupleof things made me real nervous ,the someone decribed about a LEO coming to his door and asking for ID and what weapon he owned.Thit is most assuredly crossing the line.I do agree with Morris's post regarding attitudes on both sides .I believe that one should be presentable and professional and courtious when confronted.This will go alot farther in my mind in advancing the OC aganda.That is not to say I advocate folding like a lawn chair whenLeo crosses the line.I.E Iwas in the safeway this morning at the starbucks on 116th and international reading a paper and having a coffee.I became warm in there so I removed my sport coat(guys that run around dressed like a gang banger with a pistol in the front of his pants will warrant attention)I was crrying my Para companion C7.45 single stack LDA in a colt holster with 2 spare magazines on the weak side.I was talking with the manager at the time and there were others there.Didn't get a glance or a question ,nothing.When A Seatac LEO walked by he looked and asked what I carried I told him and his response was "cool well have a good day"Any way My CPL is only a month old and the ink is wearing off already.I scanned it when I got and carrya more legible copy with.Is a copy acceptable when asked??Also any meeting or anyone live in the Seatac Desmoines area.Love to get together for coffee and get involved with assiting in promoting the cause.As I saw one fellow write "a right not excersised is a right lost".My art site if anyone wants to look is http://burtb71.photos.military.com/gallery/2326648/2/207074259/Medium

Thanks every one for being so helpful.....Jim

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome aboard! I believe the post you mentioned involed Pennsylvania, not Washington.

Glad you like the place and hope you stick around!

DEROS72

imported post

Thanks for that correction .I do very much like the site and will be around.Anything I can assist with to promote oc in a positve light Please just ask. Jim

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Are you coming to the get together in Everett later this month? I'd like to extend my welcome in person if you can come up.

DEROS72

imported post

It wouldn,t be easy as I don,t have a car anymore .I was rear ended a while back by a stita cab and totalled my car.I am retired and on a retirement pension so funding for a new vehicle is not readily available.When and where will it be held?Maybe a bus goes that way.....

compmanio365

imported post

Welcome! A lot of the times, people carpool for the events each month. Maybe you could find someone coming by and would be willing to pick you up and take you back. I won't be able to make it, most likely, but I'm sure there will be at least one person that will from down south......

DEROS72

imported post

That would be great but I don't know anyone that is invoved down in this area so any suggestions would be welcome..

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
It wouldn,t be easy as I don,t have a car anymore .I was rear ended a while back by a stita cab and totalled my car.I am retired and on a retirement pension so funding for a new vehicle is not readily available.When and where will it be held?Maybe a bus goes that way.....
If you are in SeaTac, take one of the buses to Seattle. See if you can arrange a meetup with someone in Seattle. If not take the Sound Transit to Everett and make local connections.

BTW, I've OC'd on Sound Transit, Metro and Community Transit.

ghosthunter

imported post

Welcome seems like new people post here every day. I asked the question about CPL copies a while back and the remarks were mixed. I am not sure the posters came to a conclusion one way or the other. I do carry several copies of my CPL and stash them in my car, coats, wallet, shaving ,kit next to desk at work. However giving a copy to a LEO as best I can tell is untested. Maybe the LEOs lurking will post their view.

Myopinion only:)

DEROS72

imported post

It would be interesting to hear thier view on that.As far as the Everette function I may have to miss that one.I will be in a better position after the first.(on a pension).Anyway if anyone is in the Seatac area I have coffee in the mornings about 9:00,:30at the safeway on 116th and international in Seatac if anyone is around .Love to talk and get more info and maybe a couple of pamphets.My nieghbor saw me on my own deck after I just got home and hadn,t put my weapon away yet and told me that that is absolutely illegal.And we are not allowed to keep weapons in wa. state.(She is from DC) so I can understand that she has been indoctrinated on the evils of handguns.

BobR

imported post

Welcome Jim,

I am on the right side of the state, so I won't be able to meet for coffee.

I am unable to use the link to your art, I don't know if it is me or the link.

ETA: I was able to cut and paste to get to it.

bob

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
It would be interesting to hear thier view on that.As far as the Everette function I may have to miss that one.I will be in a better position after the first.(on a pension).Anyway if anyone is in the Seatac area I have coffee in the mornings about 9:00,:30at the safeway on 116th and international in Seatac if anyone is around .Love to talk and get more info and maybe a couple of pamphets.My nieghbor saw me on my own deck after I just got home and hadn,t put my weapon away yet and told me that that is absolutely illegal.And we are not allowed to keep weapons in wa. state.(She is from DC) so I can understand that she has been indoctrinated on the evils of handguns.
I love these people who come from backwards places like California, or Chicago, or DC and try to impose their narrow understanding of guns and carry to the real world.

I can just imagine her call to 911. "My neighbor owns a gun." "Is he doing anything with it?" "No. But he owns GUNS." "Is he doing anything?" "No but he HAS GUNS." "Ok....":p

DEROS72

imported post

Well so far there hasn,t been any knock at the door.She would have probably been thoroughly surprised if she saw the LEO"S response to me this morning when all he did was ask what i carried.In reading some of the various blogs i become greatly concered for our rights.I.E the UN"S concerted attempt to disarm America.There need s to be if not already a National movement of the millions of us to let these Libs know we are not going to submit to thier Emperor.As someone said to me once if a liberal comes to take your weapon give them the ammunition first.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hi Deros72 it's good to have you here. Your art is very impressive. It's good to see you stepped right out in OC with out too much fear. I really hope to get to meet you some time and have coffee with you. I know only very little about OC, I do not have much to offer or share but I will love to shoot the breeze with you some time. And I love that avatar, "Sniper Cat in the buttcrack".

DEROS72

imported post

Thanks for the kind words.I have no problenm with open carry.AS a former grunt in Vietnam we did it all the time.It seems to me this is one of the most imprtant rights I and others continue to go to war for.I saw a doc. on the military channel following some Marines on one of thier house searches.They were even allowing the Iraqies to keep thier weapons. Aright that so many wish to take from us at home.As I mentioned my neigbor who saw me on my deck;advised me that that was totally illegal and guns aren't allowed is this state.She being from D.C. was thoroughly indoctrinated to be anti gun.She mentioned that there are kids in these apts.I advised her that they were safer now with me there than they have been all day.

damn Cat...........

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

She obviously has the two Washingons confused. If she gives you any more grief, suggest she call 911 and ask. If you live in the city of Seatac, tell her to ask for Wayne. I work Sun-Thu 2:30pm to 10:30pm...

As far as your CPL, I don't know if the requirement to have it is to have the original, RCW doesn't make a distinction. When I first got mine (and each time I renew it) I immediately trim off the excess border area and laminate, if you trim it it firts in wallet easier.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

There's a get together in Puyallup on the 26th. Seatac is between me and the meet, so if you'd like to go I can provide you door-to-door service.

DEROS72

imported post

That would be awsome.There is one minor issue.As I am on a somewhat limited retirement income and being almost the end of month and paying my dentist 1300 for a crown I have about 20 left for the month.Which really sucks because that cut down on my range time for July.I go down to Champion arms a couple of times a month.August, all will be well again.Finance will be better.It was hard getting used to not working after 38 years and only getting paid once a month.$ heart attacks and 6 angios Doc told me to slow down.........Just got back from having coffee at starbucks in Seatac on 116th .Anytime i,ve gone in there ocso far no one seems to care.That neighbor is a nice gal but seriously misinformed. My e-mail if you wish to contact me i burtb71@yahoo.com................JIm

DEROS72

imported post

Good Idea on the CPL.As I said I recieved it on the 5th of July and after being in my wallet for such a short time my name is almost rbbed off.Fortunately I scanned it when I got it so I keep it and a legible copy in my wallet...