Thread: Personal attacks and overall negative feeling.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I am relatively new to this forum, and at first I rather enjoyed being here and discussing with people about the prospect of exercising my right to OC, but in the last week I have noticed a decidedly negative and insulting tone in some of the forums.

People come here to learn about OC'ing, read constructive stories about what holsters to get, arms to buy, and other helpful information. This is a productive and cause affirming action, and all these negative posts that are decidedly anti-LE with name calling and personal flaming are not cause affirming. This puts all OC's in a bad light, especially for newcombers like myself, and to the general public as a whole.

I am very discusted by this behavior and hope I am not alone. Can we please refrain from these personal attacks and keep on the subject of OC?

Can't we all just get along and focus on the goal? I hope so. . Otherwise this board will no longer be the trend setting rights supporting information center, but a laughing stock in the eyes of the public, LE and anyone looking at us.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Theseus wrote:
    I am relatively new to this forum, and at first I rather enjoyed being here and discussing with people about the prospect of exercising my right to OC, but in the last week I have noticed a decidedly negative and insulting tone in some of the forums.

People come here to learn about OC'ing, read constructive stories about what holsters to get, arms to buy, and other helpful information. This is a productive and cause affirming action, and all these negative posts that are decidedly anti-LE with name calling and personal flaming are not cause affirming. This puts all OC's in a bad light, especially for newcombers like myself, and to the general public as a whole.

I am very discusted by this behavior and hope I am not alone. Can we please refrain from these personal attacks and keep on the subject of OC?

Can't we all just get along and focus on the goal? I hope so. . Otherwise this board will no longer be the trend setting rights supporting information center, but a laughing stock in the eyes of the public, LE and anyone looking at us.
    I agree. When we had moderators things were alright until the actions of one mod was called into question. So all mods were done away with. Now it's a free for all with the firebreathers, and folks with chips on their shoulders...

Post imported post

I still visit as often as I ever have, but I'm much more selective about which threads I open. I'm here for open carry info and discussion, not cop-bashing or black helicopter stuff.

Still, once you get in the habit of ignoring those types of posts, there remains plenty of useful information and friendly discussion to be had here.

Post imported post

mzbk2l wrote:
    I still visit as often as I ever have, but I'm much more selective about which threads I open. I'm here for open carry info and discussion, not cop-bashing or black helicopter stuff.

Still, once you get in the habit of ignoring those types of posts, there remains plenty of useful information and friendly discussion to be had here.
    I don't find this site to be any more offensive or less informative than it was when there were moderators. Topic threads have titles, and it's not very hard to identify the ones of interest and select them while skipping over the ones that aren't.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

les_aker wrote:
    I don't find this site to be any more offensive or less informative than it was when there were moderators. Topic threads have titles, and it's not very hard to identify the ones of interest and select them while skipping over the ones that aren't.

Post imported post

I read the threads i find interesting, skim the others, and skip the flamers. I prefer this site infinitely more than defensivecarry forum.

Post imported post

What has to be kept in mind is that it is only a very few members who are responsible for the issues brought up in the OP. Theseus, if you look at the posts you are concerned about, I think you will find that you see the same few member names. That does not mean that it is not problematic, especially to visitors as attested to be the fact that the number of these type threads and posts by newer members complaining about it are increasing.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

I like this site. The people here can moderate themselves somewhat.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Yes, there has been a general decline in civility and respect shown to others on this forum. And I also agree that it is a sad state of affairs and can lead to dissension among the ranks. Petty infighting and squabbling can only cause dissuption and feed the arguments of the anti's.

But there is this. One always has the ultimate optiion to leave.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote: I finally had a few extra minutes and read through this thread.

The major problem I see with many of the postings by LEOs is they state a law that is not in existence - requirement to show ID outside of NVwas one of them.

I did not see any cites. Claims without cites are not accepted here (on OCDO).

Also, it seems, based on the postings, there are many LEOs enforcing what they "THINK" the law is. Not what it really is. If a LEO does not know something is against the law, then they should not try to enforce it.

Banned

Post imported post

possumboy wrote:
    Sheriff wrote: I finally had a few extra minutes and read through this thread.

The major problem I see with many of the postings by LEOs is they state a law that is not in existence - requirement to show ID outside of NVwas one of them.

I did not see any cites. Claims without cites are not accepted here (on OCDO).

Also, it seems, based on the postings, there are many LEOs enforcing what they "THINK" the law is. Not what it really is. If a LEO does not know something is against the law, then they should not try to enforce it.
    did you get your name off married with children? one of peggy's cousins in wanker county is named opossum boy lol

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:
    Petty infighting and squabbling can only cause dissuption and feed the arguments of the anti's.
    Ahh, but this work's both ways. Again though, as an example, we have to discuss "cops". Because this is the group that physically goes one on one against an open carrier. In the below link cops talk about open carriers likea bunch of lions circling a gazelle for the kill. Then a few cool headed cops step in tell them they should be ashamedof themselves for suggesting and walking all over the constitutional rights of Americans. The threering circus in this link is pretty good stuff for the OC advocates.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91469
    I am not talking about simple bad talk, I am talking about calling people names and personal insults! All I am saying is that if we can keep down the PERSONAL attacks. Refrain from calling someone stupid, an a.hole, or other things.

Disagree, but do it respectfully.

Post imported post

Theseus wrote:
    I am not talking about simple bad talk, I am talking about calling people names and personal insults! All I am saying is that if we can keep down the PERSONAL attacks. Refrain from calling someone stupid, an a.hole, or other things.

Disagree, but do it respectfully.
    pipe down knucklehead!

byt yes, personal insults don't help much in the scheme of things. we can disagree and be civil.

we do get the occasional troll, but their motives are pretty easy to pick up on. we need to police ourselves better.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    SNIP Isn't this what the OC movement is about --education for those who haven't got a clue?

If the clueless just so happen to be cops, so be it.
    I'd go along with this except the clueless citizen generally doesn't unlawfully detain people.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    Citizen wrote:
    Sheriff wrote:
    SNIP Isn't this what the OC movement is about --education for those who haven't got a clue?

If the clueless just so happen to be cops, so be it.
    I'd go along with this except the clueless citizen generally doesn't unlawfully detain people.
    That's why I clearly said, "If the clueless just so happen to be cop, so be it!"
    I guess I misunderstood what you were trying to say.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.