• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Personal attacks and overall negative feeling.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I am relatively new to this forum, and at first I rather enjoyed being here and discussing with people about the prospect of exercising my right to OC, but in the last week I have noticed a decidedly negative and insulting tone in some of the forums.

People come here to learn about OC'ing, read constructive stories about what holsters to get, arms to buy, and other helpful information. This is a productive and cause affirming action, and all these negative posts that are decidedly anti-LE with name calling and personal flaming are not cause affirming. This puts all OC's in a bad light, especially for newcombers like myself, and to the general public as a whole.

I am very discusted by this behavior and hope I am not alone. Can we please refrain from these personal attacks and keep on the subject of OC?

Can't we all just get along and focus on the goal? I hope so. . Otherwise this board will no longer be the trend setting rights supporting information center, but a laughing stock in the eyes of the public, LE and anyone looking at us.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Theseus wrote:
I am relatively new to this forum, and at first I rather enjoyed being here and discussing with people about the prospect of exercising my right to OC, but in the last week I have noticed a decidedly negative and insulting tone in some of the forums.

People come here to learn about OC'ing, read constructive stories about what holsters to get, arms to buy, and other helpful information. This is a productive and cause affirming action, and all these negative posts that are decidedly anti-LE with name calling and personal flaming are not cause affirming. This puts all OC's in a bad light, especially for newcombers like myself, and to the general public as a whole.

I am very discusted by this behavior and hope I am not alone. Can we please refrain from these personal attacks and keep on the subject of OC?

Can't we all just get along and focus on the goal? I hope so. . Otherwise this board will no longer be the trend setting rights supporting information center, but a laughing stock in the eyes of the public, LE and anyone looking at us.
I agree. When we had moderators things were alright until the actions of one mod was called into question. So all mods were done away with. Now it's a free for all with the firebreathers, and folks with chips on their shoulders...

mzbk2l

imported post

I still visit as often as I ever have, but I'm much more selective about which threads I open. I'm here for open carry info and discussion, not cop-bashing or black helicopter stuff.

Still, once you get in the habit of ignoring those types of posts, there remains plenty of useful information and friendly discussion to be had here.

les_aker

imported post

mzbk2l wrote:
I still visit as often as I ever have, but I'm much more selective about which threads I open. I'm here for open carry info and discussion, not cop-bashing or black helicopter stuff.

Still, once you get in the habit of ignoring those types of posts, there remains plenty of useful information and friendly discussion to be had here.

I don't find this site to be any more offensive or less informative than it was when there were moderators. Topic threads have titles, and it's not very hard to identify the ones of interest and select them while skipping over the ones that aren't.

nofoa

imported post

I read the threads i find interesting, skim the others, and skip the flamers. I prefer this site infinitely more than defensivecarry forum.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

What has to be kept in mind is that it is only a very few members who are responsible for the issues brought up in the OP. Theseus, if you look at the posts you are concerned about, I think you will find that you see the same few member names. That does not mean that it is not problematic, especially to visitors as attested to be the fact that the number of these type threads and posts by newer members complaining about it are increasing.

Sheriff

imported post

I think this thread is about a week late.

Because, in my opinion, things have been pretty calm for the last week. :celebrate

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Yes, there has been a general decline in civility and respect shown to others on this forum. And I also agree that it is a sad state of affairs and can lead to dissension among the ranks. Petty infighting and squabbling can only cause dissuption and feed the arguments of the anti's.

But there is this. One always has the ultimate optiion to leave.

Sheriff

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Petty infighting and squabbling can only cause dissuption and feed the arguments of the anti's.
Ahh, but this work's both ways. Again though, as an example, we have to discuss "cops". Because this is the group that physically goes one on one against an open carrier. In the below link cops talk about open carriers likea bunch of lions circling a gazelle for the kill. Then a few cool headed cops step in tell them they should be ashamedof themselves for suggesting and walking all over the constitutional rights of Americans. The threering circus in this link is pretty good stuff for the OC advocates.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91469

possumboy

imported post

Sheriff wrote:

I finally had a few extra minutes and read through this thread.

The major problem I see with many of the postings by LEOs is they state a law that is not in existence - requirement to show ID outside of NVwas one of them.

I did not see any cites. Claims without cites are not accepted here (on OCDO).

Also, it seems, based on the postings, there are many LEOs enforcing what they "THINK" the law is. Not what it really is. If a LEO does not know something is against the law, then they should not try to enforce it.

johnnyb

Banned
imported post

possumboy wrote:
Sheriff wrote:

I finally had a few extra minutes and read through this thread.

The major problem I see with many of the postings by LEOs is they state a law that is not in existence - requirement to show ID outside of NVwas one of them.

I did not see any cites. Claims without cites are not accepted here (on OCDO).

Also, it seems, based on the postings, there are many LEOs enforcing what they "THINK" the law is. Not what it really is. If a LEO does not know something is against the law, then they should not try to enforce it.
did you get your name off married with children? one of peggy's cousins in wanker county is named opossum boy lol

Sheriff

imported post

possumboy wrote:

And this surprises you?

possumboy wrote:
Isn't this what the OC movement is about --education for those who haven't got a clue?

If the clueless just so happen to be cops, so be it.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Petty infighting and squabbling can only cause dissuption and feed the arguments of the anti's.
Ahh, but this work's both ways. Again though, as an example, we have to discuss "cops". Because this is the group that physically goes one on one against an open carrier. In the below link cops talk about open carriers likea bunch of lions circling a gazelle for the kill. Then a few cool headed cops step in tell them they should be ashamedof themselves for suggesting and walking all over the constitutional rights of Americans. The threering circus in this link is pretty good stuff for the OC advocates.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91469
I am not talking about simple bad talk, I am talking about calling people names and personal insults! All I am saying is that if we can keep down the PERSONAL attacks. Refrain from calling someone stupid, an a.hole, or other things.

Disagree, but do it respectfully.

hsmith

imported post

Theseus wrote:
I am not talking about simple bad talk, I am talking about calling people names and personal insults! All I am saying is that if we can keep down the PERSONAL attacks. Refrain from calling someone stupid, an a.hole, or other things.

Disagree, but do it respectfully.
pipe down knucklehead! :p

byt yes, personal insults don't help much in the scheme of things. we can disagree and be civil.

we do get the occasional troll, but their motives are pretty easy to pick up on. we need to police ourselves better.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
SNIP Isn't this what the OC movement is about --education for those who haven't got a clue?

I'd go along with this except the clueless citizen generally doesn't unlawfully detain people.

Sheriff

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Sheriff wrote:
SNIP Isn't this what the OC movement is about --education for those who haven't got a clue?

I'd go along with this except the clueless citizen generally doesn't unlawfully detain people.
That's why I clearly said, "If the clueless just so happen to be cop, so be it!" :)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Sheriff wrote:

That's why I clearly said, "If the clueless just so happen to be cop, so be it!" :)
I guess I misunderstood what you were trying to say.