• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Promote OC in local Parades

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Small town parades would make a great place to promote open carry. It’s on public property, often open to anybody, e.g., politicians, businesses, fraternal groups boy/girl scouts, etc. If a few OC people had banners or signs made saying open carry is legal in Michigan and carried them while OCing, that would reach a lot of people. The participants could hand out pamphlets and candy to the bystanders. What’s great is that the local police often ride in the parades, you could try and get next to them as you walk in the parade, thereby enforcing to the public that’s it’s indeed legal.

So for those of you that have hometown festivals, next 4[suP]th[/suP] of July, or other local parades give this idea some though.

SQLtables

imported post

I like it. Too bad I hadn't thought about this before the Bavarian Festival parade here in Frankenmuth.. it's huge... I'll have to check into it for the next parade around here. Frankenmuth has festivals every weekend I think :?

WARCHILD

imported post

Question: Could this possibly be used (grey area) in violation of the 2,500 people? The way I think, they "may / could" interpret walking in a parade as a violation of this restriction.If not to try and convict you, but just to get you out of the area. I'm all for a parade walk anytime, just food for thought and opinions.

Tucker6900

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
Question: Could this possibly be used (grey area) in violation of the 2,500 people? The way I think, they "may / could" interpret walking in a parade as a violation of this restriction.If not to try and convict you, but just to get you out of the area. I'm all for a parade walk anytime, just food for thought and opinion
Doesnt having a CPL exempt us from this restriction as long as were open carrying? Not clear on this, maybe someone can straighten me out.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Yes, you can OC with a CPL into a place with over 2500 seating legally.

But....

If you're going there with the wife and someone sees you OC they can ask you to leave and then your wife is really pissed because she wanted to see the movie and now you have to leave.....blah.

I would suggest OC'ing and make sure the people with you are surrounding and obstructing the view of your weapon on the way in. This way you are legal and nobody will see it and ask you to leave. When watching the movie it will be dark so no problems there.

On the way out, Proudly OC and keep moving, even if you hear "Sir, Hello, Excuse me Sir!" If they don't/can't tell you that you are not welcome, you aren't trespassing the next time.

I have not done this but I have thought about the situation.

IANAL

Tucker6900

imported post

If you're going there with the wife and someone sees you OC they can ask you to leave and then your wife is really pissed because she wanted to see the movie and now you have to leave.....blah.

Sounds like thats information from experience! :)

But noone could ask you to leave an event like a parade, right?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Tucker6900 wrote:

Sounds like thats information from experience! :)

But noone could ask you to leave an event like a parade, right?
That's right. Public property-streets, can't ask you to leave. I don't they could stop the girl scouts or VFW from marching, so I don't they can ask us to leave.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

steve jaye wrote:
What about the Woodward Dream Cruise? Lots of people and news! Just a thought!
Do you mean if it's legal to OC there during the cruise or is it just an idea for an OC get together? Both are good to go. :)

steve jaye

imported post

For an open carry meet. People from all over the state and US come there every year so it might be a good chance to get some good press coverage.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

steve jaye wrote:
For an open carry meet. People from all over the state and US come there every year so it might be a good chance to get some good press coverage.

That's wht I thought you meant, but I wanted to be sure. :) When is the cruise?

We have the Warren event August 16th and the Charity event September 13th.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

warlockmatized wrote:
Anyone know the dates for the cruise. This might be a worth while event to set up a booth and walk around.
That's why I posted the dates for the Warren and Charity Events. Maybe Steve or someone else who lives down that way can host the meet. I'm sure there are many here who would like to attend.

steve jaye

imported post

I will talk to Ray the owner of Target Sports (the gun range I go to. It’s at 11 mile and Woodward) I will see if he would let us meet there. As for food and beverages, there are a ton of street vendors that we can purchase food from.

azebolsky

imported post

shoot, i'd be willing to drive over for the woodward show and meet. was actually looking at my finances to see if i could go to the woodward show, but meeting and OC would be a huge extra bonus.

*S*