• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in Washington

boom

imported post

I know most of you guys are from the southern end, and have been reading your posts for a few months. I live in north ID and get over to Spokane Valley a few times a week or more for work and to pickup/drop off my kids. I was disappointed to find out that Washington does not honor my Idaho CWL:cry:. What would be the best means of me of obtaining a permit licence for Washington, as I understand I would need to have one toOC in Spokane/Valley as well. A link to some info or suggestion as to a more generous/ expedient agency (SD?) would be much appreciated.. .:question:

-Thanks

Vandal

imported post

Go to the local Spokane County Sheriff's Office in the Valley and apply. Take your ID permit. I got mine through Whitman County via the Pullman PD (I go to U of I). I walked in told the nice lady behind the counter what I was doing and she was very helpful. I filled out the permit info, got printed paid the fee and went home. It took maybe 10 minutes.

About a week later I had my WA permit mailed to my parent's house in Boise. and I picked it up during my Fall Break. I did laminate it at the recommendation of the PD officers in Pullman. The ink will come off very fast otherwise. It is not like the ID permits and doesn't fit with your DL. Mine sits behind my electronic work key card.

It was a painless process for me.

To OC you DO NOT need a CPL. I used to OC in Pullman and Spokanistan before I had my WA CPL.

boom

imported post

sounds easy enough, how much did it cost?

apparently, unlike Idaho, you cannot open carry in a vehicle unless you have the permit or the weapon is disassembled or unloaded, though. Also cannot OC in convention centers or something like that.(also court houses, jails and schools, like ID)I will ask when i go in to the SD and read the code when I get some time.

-Thanks

GreenDrake

imported post

Last time I checked Washington's was $65. I have been meaning to head into Spokangeles to get mine as well, just never find that time to get it. I'd check the written law before I take the word of the SD, as even our good folks in Kootenai county SD don't know the laws for OC and CC.

boom

imported post

Well unfortunately there is no county sherriffs dept in the valley. The only means of obtaining the permit is through the records dept downtown spokane near the arena. (at the end of Mallon oroff Broadway across from the corthouse) Parking is metered and sucks, get there before 3pm. Don't go armed, there is a metal detector. The cost is $55.25 and you will be fingerprinted. The application was easy and they didn't ask for my SS# but the fingerprinteing technican did (an intern)... I asked if it was required and she said, "No, but it helps us to find more information about you and get quicker results." Anyway, the wait is up to 30 days for a resident, and 60 for non residents. I will post when it shows up in the mail. The whole process took a half hour, but it wasn't busy when I was there.

Shy_Panda

imported post

boom wrote:
sounds easy enough, how much did it cost?

apparently, unlike Idaho, you cannot open carry in a vehicle unless you have the permit or the weapon is disassembled or unloaded, though. Also cannot OC in convention centers or something like that.(also court houses, jails and schools, like ID)I will ask when i go in to the SD and read the code when I get some time.

-Thanks
Actually the law states that you cannot have a loaded firearm in the vehicle without a CPL for pistols (long guns are a nogo period). The gun does not have to be disassembled merely unloaded. It is a pain in the neck, but it is a good idea to get a WA CPL if you come over often, sorry about our laws being so repressive when compared to yours, I do enjoy my time spent in Moscow and CDA. We have monthly meetings in Spokane and Pullman if you are ever interested, feel free to hop on over to the Washington forum. I would also suggest looking at the WGR pamphlet, it has all of the pertenet WA laws concerning handguns.