Thread: Idaho Open Carriers Visit Zoo - News at 11!

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

http://www.2news.tv/news/25651079.html

Video link at story, and at

http://www.alieninnovations.com/OCDO.wmv

Gun advocates pack heat at Zoo Boise

Story Created: Jul 19, 2008 at 4:29 PM MDT

Story Updated: Jul 19, 2008 at 7:44 PM MDT

By Blake McCoy
    ]http://www.2news.tv%252Fnews%252F25651079.html%253Fvideo% 253DYHI%2526t%253Da%2641%3DVideo%2BGun%2Badvocates %2Bpack%2Bheat%2Bat%2BZoo%2BBoise%2618%3D0.3386129 5845918093','video','scrollbars=yes,width=800,heig ht=630,screenx=15,screeny=15');] Video [/url]
    BOISE - A group of Treasure Valley residents brought their hand guns to Zoo Boise, wearing their Second Amendment rights on their belt straps for all to see.

About a dozen gun owners took advantage of Idaho's open carry laws which allow them to carry guns in public as long as they are in plain view and remain holstered.

"I don't know that we're trying to make a statement," says Eric Bauer, who came to the zoo with his wife, three kids, and gun on his belt. "Maybe if anything we're trying to educate the public as to what they're rights are."

Bauer and his wife both were carrying guns. Since Bauer's three kids aren't yet 18 and can't legally carry a handgun, they carried knives on their belt straps instead.

Gun advocates said they organized this event at Zoo Boise because it is public property and they can't be kicked off.

"If you don't exercise your rights, you're gonna loose your rights," says Bauer

But for one out of state family visiting Idaho, guns at the zoo came as a bit of a surprise.

"To me I think it gives kids the idea that guns are OK and I think that they're going to be desensitized," says Anji Robertson who was visiting from Madison, WI with her husband and three kids.

These gun owners say education is key for anyone owning a handgun and they came out to show that the Second Amendment lives strong in the Gem State.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    "To me I think it gives kids the idea that guns are OK and I think that they're going to be desensitized,"
    We try our best. Thank you for the encouragement.

Post imported post

What is the purpose of this thread? Do you want us to move our talk over here?

The video link is screwed up, and making the page ridiculously wide...FYI.

Post imported post

I think he moved it here so it would be a fresh thread and new ppl to the site or members from other states wouldn't have to sort through all the other stuff first.

BTW, shouldn't this be posted on the main page of opencarry.org as well?

Post imported post

IndianaBoy79 wrote:
    I think he moved it here so it would be a fresh thread and new ppl to the site or members from other states wouldn't have to sort through all the other stuff first.

BTW, shouldn't this be posted on the main page of opencarry.org as well?
    Nothing was moved - this is a new thread.

The videos are now Utubed and posted on the front page under the open carry movement column, and archived in the "Multimedia tab" section.

as the movement spreads to other states, the number of states in the multi-media tab with their own open carry channel will grow

Post imported post

Right on, well done everyone. I'd love to see an event up here in the Coeur d'Alene and Hayden area, if not only to meet other OC'ers.

Post imported post

Yeah, great job to all - and after every exercise, just like the Army, you should hold an after action review on what happenned, how to do better next time, etc.

We need more actual open carriers - all those arm chairm & keyboard open carriers out there are not even in the game!

BTW, it would have been cool if someone had brought up that animal attack at this zoo from a ways back as why guns provide good insurance in that rare time you ever might need one.

Post imported post

This made the paper here in Reno, NV too. A fairly neutral write-up which is about as positive as you can get from a fairly liberal newspaper.

http://www.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...EWS18/80720023

Post imported post

If you google "open carry zoo boise" you will find LOTS of articles. Seems we made news around the country. Great job guys and dolls.

Post imported post

IndianaBoy79 wrote:
    If you google "open carry zoo boise" you will find LOTS of articles. Seems we made news around the country. Great job guys and dolls.
    Wow...I bet Channel 7 and Channel 12 are regretting they didn't respond to my press release NOW! :celebrate:celebrate

National Coverage! :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate :celebrate

Post imported post

Maybe we can get Larry Gebert to do a Gun Tracker 7000 episode?

Post imported post

563 wrote:
    Maybe we can get Larry Gebert to do a Gun Tracker 7000 episode?
    Make sure he gets a warning out about the hot lead fronts moving through the valley! :celebrate

Post imported post

hey larry gebert is a hunter.. i loaded a washer in his truck and he had hunting stickers on the tailgate.

Post imported post

BrianEMT wrote:
    IndianaBoy79 wrote:
    Wow...I bet Channel 7 and Channel 12 are regretting they didn't respond to my press release NOW! :celebrate:celebrate

National Coverage! :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate :celebrate
    you know it, since KBCI more than likely licensed the story out to AP for a nice fee. in which AP turns around and sells licenses as well.

When they lose viewers and lost revenue from stories they were alerted to in advance, someones gonna get an ass chewing.

betcha next time we get all 3 stations to show up.

Post imported post

I like the road or stream clean-up project idea - appeals to many - but is it too hot out there this time a year?

I spent some training at Gowan field back in teh day - it was a little warm and dusty.

Post imported post

We need to keep this going guys, if ten folks down in Boise can generate national news for a simple day to the zoo, think about what we can do if each state held a similar event on the same day. State leadership for OCDO, Spokespersons, it can get bigger.

State Researcher

Post imported post

It looks like you guys did a great job! I'm sorry I wasn't able to be there, but I had prior committments.

I've got a few suggestions for improvement, like Mike said, it'd be good to review the positives and things we can do better next time.

Bravo guys!

Post imported post

By the time the article pinged around California...here is the headline:

"Open Carry gun nuts visit a local zoo in Idaho to make a point or something. With "heart studded" gun-belt goodness"

Post imported post

showed up on Fark.com

http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comm...IDLink=3748905

turned out to be the same idiot from the Black Helicopter post on his blog, he is getting pounded on fark.

Post imported post

GreenDrake wrote:
    Right on, well done everyone. I'd love to see an event up here in the Coeur d'Alene and Hayden area, if not only to meet other OC'ers.
    +1

There is a meet in spokane valley this coming weekend I think. I can't make it, sadly.

Hopefully more north ID members will show an interest.

Post imported post

Hey Ya'll.
    edit
    : nevermind, Good Idea, Saint, on getting the news there.

Was there any negative reaction on the part of the news people, off camera?? Did anyone (other than tourists) say anything negative that was edited out?? Im wondering about an event on this side of the state, and would like to be as fully prepared as I can be.

Post imported post

Saint unfortunately was unable to make it to the event, though I know he wanted to come.

It was actually BrianEMT who invited the press, and as a spur of the moment decision. The event wasn't all that well organized...trust me. The idea was to get together and meet the members and their families. We chose the zoo partly because it would be something our families could do with us, and also because it is city land. We were hoping to avoid any problem with a private place. Ended up, we had a problem getting in but the police came and helped sort it out. We were shortly admitted. The news crew was very curtious, and the article in the Statesman was balanced in my opinion.

We had some good/some bad press after the event was over, but for the most part I think it was a good thing.

Good luck getting something together. Might I suggest you try to be a bit more organized that we were at the time?