• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cheesehead mom is OK with open carry at idaho zoo - says it "desensitiz kids to guns"

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

trailblazer2003 wrote:
While we were there I made sure to check for any signage at entrances and inside buildings. The entrance signs stated the following were not allowed.

I never found any in door signs or any other prohibited signage. Anyone know of any statutes prohibiting carry at the zoo?
See my post above. In my opinion on the zoo grounds per, it's legal. But you couldn't enter any of the buildings. If it has a roof, stay out!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Mike wrote:
Shotgun wrote:
The Henry Vilas Zoo is in fact own by Dane County. It is a public zoo and therefore one would have to remain outside of all of the zoo buildings if carrying a firearm.
Why? Please cite to authority.
Wisconsin Statute:

941.235(1)
(1) Any person who goes armed with a firearm in any building owned or leased by the state or any political subdivision of the state is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

BGood job - so, open carriers in Wisconsin, do not "carry" in any vehicle nor in "any building owned or leased by the state or any political subdivision of the state."

Always recon where you are going ahead of time and think these things thru.

trailblazer2003

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
trailblazer2003 wrote:See my post above. In my opinion on the zoo grounds per, it's legal. But you couldn't enter any of the buildings. If it has a roof, stay out!
I saw the post, I was just adding that it appears there are no restrictions on the grounds of the zoo otherwise they would have included firearms. You are correct, the buildings can be easily avoided, they get crowded and hot anyway. I don't think there are any schools within 1000' of the zoo either.

I also forgot, I did see one defensive weapon while there. A zoo maintenance worker was carrying bear spray in a holster. Doesn't WI have a OC size limit? Guess it isn't applicable to zoo staff? No other holsters of anykind, or security patrols for that matter.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Not to take the thread's topic too far astray, but I became very much aware of statute 941.235 years ago when I made my yearly trip into the Madison/Dane County "City-County Building" to pay property taxes. The entrances have stenciled notices that say something like "Firearms and other weapons prohibited" and it cited 941.235 and another statute that was completely irrelevant because it has something to do with "interfering with firefighters" or similar. After the county coroner and another worker were shot dead by a lunatic, the city and county placed metal detectors and private security personnel at the entrances. (Which were removed and placed in the new county courthouse building after the courts moved out of the building.) Of course every time I had reason to enter the building I made it a point of carrying as much metal material on me as I could. I'd have batteries, a knife, some loose ammo, paperclips, and plenty of change stuffed in my pockets. Despite the fact that the statute covered firearms specifically, and there are no Madison or Dane County ordinances regarding carrying knives, they of course never allowed me to take my knife inside. Nor the ammo, which of course they cannot prohibit legally due to the state preemption law. (However they did miss .44 magnum ammo that I put into the tray once and back into my pocket with a smile as the guard was bragging to me about the sensitivity of his hand held metal detector.) One day I placed a loaded magazine into the tray, which of course they DID notice and did not hand back to me, but instead gave me a receipt for it and my pocket knife. When I was leaving the building and asked to retrieve my items, they said a police officer was coming to talk with me and to have a seat. They said they needed to report whenever a gun came into the building--- I replied I didn't bring a GUN. The Madison officer arrived a few minutes later picked up my items and handed them to me. He took out a little note pad and said something like "For the sake of those bozos I'm going to pretend like I give a shit." He said "name?". I said "my real name?" He shrugged and said "I don't care." He asked where my gun was, and I told him it was in my car. He said "That's fine" and wished me a good day.

In any event the moral of the story, the poorly trained security guards who once manned the entrances to the Madison/Dane County city-county building, and who are now at the courthouse, will try to use 941.235 to prohibit items beyond the scope of that statute and which currently are not, or in the example of ammunition cannot be, prohibited locally.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

trailblazer2003 wrote:
Shotgun wrote:
trailblazer2003 wrote:See my post above. In my opinion on the zoo grounds per, it's legal. But you couldn't enter any of the buildings. If it has a roof, stay out!
I saw the post, I was just adding that it appears there are no restrictions on the grounds of the zoo otherwise they would have included firearms. You are correct, the buildings can be easily avoided, they get crowded and hot anyway. I don't think there are any schools within 1000' of the zoo either.

I also forgot, I did see one defensive weapon while there. A zoo maintenance worker was carrying bear spray in a holster. Doesn't WI have a OC size limit? Guess it isn't applicable to zoo staff? No other holsters of anykind, or security patrols for that matter.
You may want to call it "pepper spray" in this forum so as not to confuse OC (oleoresin capsicum) with OC (open carry.) Yes, there is a pepper spray size limit for that which is intended to be used against humans. But the bear spray is different. If you go into the Madison Ganger Mountain you'll see HUGE cans of it intended for bears. I guess it's like the prohibition against civilians possessing "stun guns" in Wisconsin, but if you shop and Farm and Fleet you'll find some nasty cattle prods that will make a stun gun seem whimpy.

Not sure you can put much stock in the fact that the zoo sign does not mention firearms. I would expect some sort of law enforcement response if carrying at the zoo, regardless of it's legality. Take note that Madison continues to post a "firearms not allowed" notice for their designated "conservation parks" although there is no legal basis to such a prohibition that I can find. Nor has the city attorney attempted to provide a response to my challenge to them to justify that signage a couple years ago.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Probably only those portions where alcohol is served, but not the entire grounds. Similar to a hotel where only the bar area is off limits, but not the entire premises. The Milwaukee zoo has significant indoor exhibits, which is problematic if you wish to truly appreciate the entire zoo.

On second thought, I'm not sure--- the statute is specific for hotels, and the zoo certainly isn't a hotel... not for humans anyway.

But I think there would be difficulties for a prosecutor attempting to argue that the entire grounds are equivalent to a tavern. During the Taste of Madison beer is sold on the streets surround the state Capitol. It would be hard to argue that the entire Capitol Square area is, therefore, off limits during that time. Let's not forget that the Class B restriction applies only to handguns and does allow possession of unloaded and encased handguns.

Teej

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Probably only those portions where alcohol is served, but not the entire grounds.

You're never far from a beer at the Milw. Cty. zoo. Heh. THey sell 'em from the carts that are scattered around.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I wonder if the zoo, by virtue of being run by the county, even needs a license? Might be that the vendors are private and are licensed, however. Don't know.