• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fairfax Duck Hunters Target Of Neighborhood's Anger

sccrref

imported post

peter nap wrote:
longwatch wrote:
Infighting between groups of hunters becomes a moot point, if the areas in which they hunt in become off limits to that activity. A true case of 'if you don't hang together now, you will hang separately later'.

Like I said Longwatch, I'm not getting into it. I'm just stating the facts! This fellow might be the salt of the earth........but I still see it as Muffy bickering with Skippy over who scratched the ferrari.
And this is the beautiful thing about this forum. We can each of us put forth our opinion on matters with no care if others agree or disagree with what we feel/believe. My opinion, for what is is worth, is that if the antis get the rights or any gun owners taken away, they will be extatic, full of themselves beyound measure and promptly look for the next target.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Virginiaplanter wrote:
George Washington Diraries:

I wonder if Martha ever got tired of duck for supper. :):)

Thanks for the history, VAPlanter.
Are you suggesting that as they got older, no matter how much George enjoyed it, Martha at some point just got sick of plucking?

KBCraig

imported post

Hunters can be some of our most louse-ridden "bedfellows", so working together can be tricky.

Of the various gun hunting special interest organizations, my experience is that Ducks Unlimited is the most elite, snobbish, willing-to-sell-us-out-for-a-longer-season group out there.

That said, many of my local RKBA friends also love duck hunting. I have no quarrel with hunting of any sort. I just wish the support was mutual.

Thundar

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Well Longwatch, aside from the fact that BLIND hunters have pushed the rules to the point where those of us that used to float, can longer do it for fear of violating a blinds protected space.......what does this have to do with open carry?
Why would open carry of shotguns for hunting be any less relevant than open carry of handguns for self defense?

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
imported post

18. Went a ducking between breakfast & dinner. In the Afternoon Mr. Thruston Mr. Alexander, & Mr. Carter from Gloster came in.

24. Went a ducking between breakfast & dinner & killd 2 Mallards & 5 bald faces. Found Doctr. Rumney here at Dinner who staid all Night. Mr. Magowan returnd.

25. Doctr. Rumney went away. I went to the Creek but not cross it. Killd 2 Ducks-viz. a sprig tail and Teal.

Journal Entries February 1769

3. Went a Gunning up the Creek--killd 7 Ducks. In the Afternoon Colo. F. Lewis & son Fieldg. & Mr. Rozer came here.

9. Went a Ducking with Colo. Lewis. His son & Betcy Dandridge went to the Monthly Ball at Alexandria.

11. Ducking till Dinner. Mr. Piper dind here. Betsy Dandridge came home in the Evening.
Somebody better call DGIF & NPS. This guy busted his bag limit huge.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Thundar wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Well Longwatch, aside from the fact that BLIND hunters have pushed the rules to the point where those of us that used to float, can longer do it for fear of violating a blinds protected space.......what does this have to do with open carry?
Why would open carry of shotguns for hunting be any less relevant than open carry of handguns for self defense?
Thundar, you darn well know the difference. They aren't fussing about carrying a shotgun, they don't want him hunting and shooting near their country mansions.

Your not one of the silly argument people here. This isn't a carry or even a 2end controversy. This is simply a matter of city people moving into what I laughingly call the country, and doing what city people do....bitching.

AND...they're bitching about a Duck Blind Hunter...who is one of their own. Every anti that wants to get a few pro gun votes is A DUCK HUNTER. Remember John Kerry.

Did this fellow come down here on lobby day? Has he called his representative to try to insure zoning stays grandfathered as long as he continues to hunt it? Was he in Hanover when they were working the Shooting Ranges over?

Did he toss an extra $20.00 in every time he stopped in Bob Moates so he could fight Bloomberg........the answer to all these is very likely, NO!

If the answer is yes to any of the above, I'll apologize, break my vow to never go further north than Bolling Green, and make those spruce yuppies as miserable as possible.,

Thundar

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Thundar wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Thundar, you darn well know the difference. They aren't fussing about carrying a shotgun, they don't want him hunting and shooting near their country mansions.

Your not one of the silly argument people here. This isn't a carry or even a 2end controversy. This is simply a matter of city people moving into what I laughingly call the country, and doing what city people do....bitching.

AND...they're bitching about a Duck Blind Hunter...who is one of their own. Every anti that wants to get a few pro gun votes is A DUCK HUNTER. Remember John Kerry.

Did this fellow come down here on lobby day? Has he called his representative to try to insure zoning stays grandfathered as long as he continues to hunt it? Was he in Hanover when they were working the Shooting Ranges over?

Did he toss an extra $20.00 in every time he stopped in Bob Moates so he could fight Bloomberg........the answer to all these is very likely, NO!

If the answer is yes to any of the above, I'll apologize, break my vow to never go further north than Bolling Green, and make those spruce yuppies as miserable as possible.,

Peter nap,

Your sense of humoris great. I understand your point and your frustration.

My point was that lawful use of a firearm is lawful use of a firearm. I don't like all firearms owners, but I defend their right to have the firearms, bear the firearms and to use the firearms for lawful purposes.

The use of the river banks for duck hunting was a legitimate right guaranteed by the Virginia Constitution.

Virginia Constitution Article XI Conservation Section 4. Right of the people to hunt, fish, and harvest game:

The people have a right to hunt, fish, and harvest game, subject to such regulations and restrictions as the General Assembly may prescribe by general law.

I say: Hunting ducks is constitutionally protected. Duck blinds were there first. Let the whining homeowners hear the sound of liberty.

:celebrate

Tomahawk

imported post

The hunters in Dyke Marsh do not open-carry their shotguns; the guns must be unloaded and cased until they are in the blind, due to them passing through National Park land to get on the water.

If I understand the area they are talking about, you can see the Beltway from there (Woodrow Wilson Bridge).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
The hunters in Dyke Marsh do not open-carry their shotguns; the guns must be unloaded and cased until they are in the blind, due to them passing through National Park land to get on the water.

If I understand the area they are talking about, you can see the Beltway from there (Woodrow Wilson Bridge).
So the efforts of many to get the rules changed on National Parks would potentially benefit the ducks hunters - hopefully they will be able to uncase their shotguns (OC) and not have to clutter up their blind with all of their gun cases. I see all of this as a stand together or fall alone situation.

Yata hey

=============================================================

Thundar wrote:

Your sense of humoris great. I understand your point and your frustration.

My point was that lawful use of a firearm is lawful use of a firearm. I don't like all firearms owners, but I defend their right to have the firearms, bear the firearms and to use the firearms for lawful purposes.

+1 The duck hunters, to my knowledge, have not asked us for our help. We can ill afford to stand by and do nothing.

It is not the fault of the duck hunters that this pursuit has become a sport of the wealthy (elite) in many areas. It is the government and landowners that have pushed the cost beyond the reach of many. Perhaps a lottery system, like that for goose hunting at Bombay Hook in Delaware would restore some chance of the common man to enjoy the pleasure.

Does the fact that I enjoy deer hunting, dove shooting, water fowling, plinking and take personal defense seriously diminish my value here? In other words, I'm not soley involved with just OCing. If I only liked to participate in social dove shoots and kept a gun at home for defense but did not OC or CC, would my rights be worth any less than anothers? Now one more step - how about if I were only a wealthy duck hunter? 'nuff said?

Yata hey