• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster Review

Dahwg

imported post

I just picked up the Safariland 6288 SLS Concealment Paddle Holster and figured I'd post my first impressions, more later as I get some time with it.

I've had some problems finding good holsters that fit my CZ P-01 well. Seems not too many of the major holster makers are constructing anything for this weapon. For the most part, the holsters that work for the Glock 19 seem to also work for the CZ. My three main holsters at this point are my Galco Matrix 5, Blackhawk CQC and now the Safariland SLS.

My initial reaction to this holster was "wow!"but not all good. I love the construction of this thing- it's definitely a step up form the Blackhawk.The retention system (for my specific pistol) is superior to the Serpa and I LOVE that this thing is lined with suede- that should save some wear and tear on my gun.Working the retionsystemwas tricky at first, but after about 50-60 reps working with it, I would be very comfortable drawing the weapon quickly and getting lead down range. Speaking of comfortable- the Safariland is bar none the mostcomfortable holster I own. Thepaddle is big and bent just right for my hip and the offset from my body makes it very comfortable to wear- compared to my other two holsters I hardly know it's there.. from my perspective anyway, which brings us to the down side.

The big downside- size. The Serpa serves me well for OC as well as the occasional CC. There is no way in the world I could conceal the Safariland during the hot Arizona summers. When I need the versatility of being able to switch back and forth between OC and CC the Serpa will be my go-to holster. I feel quite a bit more secure with the Safariland than I do the Serpa (plus I've read several horror stories where the Serpa just plain failed when it got debris in the mechanism) the Safariland can get debris, but from what I've read, the worse that happens is that the hood is a little harder to push away. For that reason, the Safariland is my holster of choice for OC and will replace my Serpa when I know that I will have no need at all to lightly conceal.

I'll do a bit more field testing and if anyone is interested, I'll post more later.