• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First encounter with private security over my firearm

Godscreation

imported post

I'm tired and I will prob. miss spell words. I don't care. So deal with my incorrect grammar.:)

I stroll into the new Denver NC Walmart (nice place and gun friendly too) and do my shopping with my usual Glock 19 9mm strapped strong side 9 o clock (I'm lefthanded). I get a weird look from this black guy. I see him staring at me, so as you always do when you sense trouble, I went to the other side of the aisle so I didn't have to scoot by him. I continue my shopping in electronics, can't find what I need (it's walmart, they should have empty DVD cases), so I head over to automotive to buy some oil for my car. I'm walking when I start getting the sense that I am being followed (it's amazing what you notice and sense when you OC) I notice out of the corner of my eye that it is the black guy again. He spots me spotting him, so he firmly but politely stops me. The conversation is as follows; he works for Loss Prevention (LP)

LP: exuse me sir, I'm with Walmart LP, do you have a FFL or a FD...S or something that allows you to carry that?

Me: Well, In NC you are not required to have a permit to carry a firearm openly, which is what I'm doing. Additionally I did not see any signs posted on the door, so I thought it was OK.

LP: Well, we haven't put ours up yet, but unless I can see some sort of ID that allows you to carry that I'm going to have to ask you to leave it in the car.

Me: That's fine, I will if that's what you want, but I want to be sure of something. Even though I don't need a permit to carry this and am not required to have ID I still have to put it my car?

LP: Well that's what my store manager told me.

Me: Is he around, can I talk with him about this?

LP: Sure! let me get him for you.

Me: do you want me to follow you or stay here?

LP: were you heading into sporting goods (next isle over)

Me: I was heading into automotive sir

LP: Ok, well just stay put and I'll be back

Four minutes later

LP: (smiling walking towards me and waving his hand away from him) He's in a meeting right now, just keep doing what your doing.

Me: Thanks, and if you or your manager have any questions I have the law book in my car if you have any doubts.

LP: Naw, your good

Me: I'm trying to obey the law and I can see why you would be concerned

LP: (nods) yeah.....so......um.....you really don't need a permit to carry openly?

Me: (smiles) nope your good to go in NC

LP: (smiles) so who told you to get a Glock?

The conversation went off on different handguns and shooting ranges and stuff like that. My guess is that if he owns guns (and judging by my convo with him he's got at least 2 or 3 handguns) he will check out what I'm saying and find I'm right. I just might have converted someone when they at first wanted to throw me out.

I think I like Walmart a little more. Not much, but a little more.

EDIT: "Well we haven't put ours up yet." What? how hard is it to peel off a sticker and put it on a window? I wonder if he made that up. Either way, he was a nice guy.

thess416

imported post

Good story, but I'm curious about something. Just to be clear... I've carried concealed (With CCW) for many years, the only time I've ever carried openly is either on my way home from hunting or on the way to the field (obviously during season). So no questions were ever asked.

Now I know that in NC we can carry openly....LEGALLY. You told the guy at walmart you had the law books in your car for him to see if he wanted. Were you just messin with him or were you serious? Cause I'd love to actually have the NC GS or whatever law in writing to show someone in case I do decide to carry openly. Believe me, I've been carrying for years.... it sure would be more comfortable to carry openly than concealed!

If you can point me in the direction to find those laws so I can print them out I'd appreciate it.