• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First week of Open Carry in PA

Browning

imported post

First I would like to say that I'm new to open carry and also new to this website. I must say that this is a wonderful site and all of the information is great. I also would like to add that I am a Law Abiding Citizen, I legally own firearms and Ihave a Concealed Carry Permit for thestate of PA. And unfortunatelynow on to the negatives. Today I was at a local pizza shop and I was OC'ing. While I was there an off duty state trooper came in. When I asked him a question he said that if he saw me OC'ing that he would draw his gun on me and that he would arrest me.I triedto talk to him and explain that it is LEGAL in PA to Open Carry, but he would not listen. He then made a phone call to another person in the State Police and he asked them if it was legal. He saidthat the person he was calling was in charge of the Criminal code or something like that. He said that if anyone would now the law that it would be the person he was calling. He also mentioned calling the Sheriff's dept. in my county and he mentioned revocation of my CC permit. I don't mean to scare anyone, but this is very alarming. If our State Police do not know the laws then who does. This experience has certainly deterred me from OC'ing in the near future.

Aran

Banned
imported post

What part of the state are you in?

I've never had so much trouble with anyone in law enforcement as I have with the local barracks' State Troopers.

georgedonnelly

imported post

My guess is that he's trying to scare you into concealed carry with LEO seem to prefer over OC.

There is another recent thread where some Amtrak cops did something similar to an OC-er in Philadelphia.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

... he said that if he saw me OC'ing that he would draw his gun on me and that he would arrest me.

That right there warrants a letter of complaint to the local State Police barracks. If you go to the PSP website, it'll steer to you how to file a complaint. Definitely Abuse of Office and Terroristic Threatening.

He also mentioned calling the Sheriff's dept. in my county and he mentioned revocation of my CC permit.
More BS on his part. Next time get a name. File a complaint. Carry a Pa. Open Carry flyer in your wallet. Become familiar with the laws. Visit the PAFOA.org site.

What part of the state are you in? I OC all over Indiana and Cambria County. I don't worry about it. I even OC at Borough Councilmeetings.