• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Streets at Southpoint Mall Durham, NC

acritical

imported post

Sorry for the long post, but I tend to get wordy to ensure that I do not leave out any important details. Please bear with me. :)

So I go to Streets of Southpoint Mall every so often since my girl likes to shop there. I personally tend to stay away from most malls due to them being overpriced. Also, when I do go the to mall, I like to carry concealed due to the amount of people that are there, and to be honest, you cannot watch everyone, to ensure that no one tries to accost from behind to attempt a grab at your firearm.

Anyway, it has been quite hot, and I do not currently have summertime cover (cannot find anything that I like), and when we go to Southpoint, we usually see a movie also, so I leave my firearm in the car. However, my girl asked me a couple of months ago, why do I disarm so often when I go to the mall, but never when I go to other stores. Previous reasons aside, I could not think of a reason, except for the fact that most malls in this area are posted with no firearms, except for outlet malls. So we entered the mall, and noticed that there are no signs anywhere that prohibit the carrying of firearms (whether opened or concealed).

I decided to check their website and again, I could find no restrictions. We ended up going back there the next day to seea movie and do some shopping. I noticed that before 6 pm, there are no LEO on the mall premises, only unarmed mall security. After 6 pm, LEO is there is full force. I sent an email to the mall management asking about their policy and they stated that anyone carrying a firearm on mall property would be proscecuted, for it is strictly prohibited. Not sure what the prosecution would be, but whatever. So last weekend we went again to see a movie (theatre is close by her house) and again saw no LEO, only unarmed security. The movie let out after 7 pm, and as expected saw a multitued of LEO. I decided to approach a couple of them (extremely out of character for me) and asked them about carrying in the mall.

I was told by both officers, that even though they carry concealed when off duty and at the mall, since there is no signs, it is perfectly legal for me to carry there if desired. However, if security calls it in, they have the obligation to respond and may have to ask me to leave if they request it (normal procedure). Any way, I am considering choosing a slow shopping moment at the mall and carry. If anyone is interested, or even read this far :), I will inform of the results when it happens.

ScubaSteve

imported post

Be careful with movie theaters and firearms ... your permit does not allow carry into locations where an admission fee is charged.

Custodian

imported post

On the weekend the Streets at Southpoint Mall is gang recruitment territory. Patrons will find Durham County Sheriff Deputies AND Durham City Police [and sometimes North Carolina State Highway Patrol Troopers], along with the contract mall troopers, Valor Security Guards, on the perimeter and inside the mall, all the while making patrols. Also, you will find uniformed Law Enforcement presence much earlier in the day on the weekends.

acritical

imported post

stevemis wrote:
Be careful with movie theaters and firearms ... your permit does not allow carry into locations where an admission fee is charged.
Yeah, that is why I stated that I usually leave me firearm in the car. This will definitely be a weekend that we are not planning on going to the movies or eat at one of the establishments that serve alcohol. Probably another couple of weeks.

mrmagooo13

imported post

Did you ever decide to try to carry at Southpoint? I'm personally surprised you wouldn't catch lip from SOMEONE there. I remember a couple years ago when NCSU played UNC in football, I decided to stop there and grab some food and hang out with some friends. Being that I was sitting in UNC's student section and a NCSU student, of course I was decked out in a red hoodie and a red bandanna on my head. While going up the escalator towards the food court, I noticed a large man in a suit waiting for me. He asked if he could speak to me off to the side. Of course I agreed. He told me that bandannas weren't allowed on the premisis. So...in interest of enjoying my night with my friends, I agreed to take it off and had it in my pocket. Slightly annoyed, I continued on my way until later I was approached by a sherriff who noticed the bandanna in my pocket and asked me to tuck it down out of sight. So yeah...after that experience, not being approached by a large man in a suit would be surprising to me. Let me know, though. Thanks!

acritical

imported post

Unfortunately, we have not been back to SouthPoint during the ideal season for carrying without cover. I plan on doing so this Spring. My girlfriend states that she believes that I have already carried there openly, but I do not remember. Is it possible to become so placent that you do not remember when and where you are carrying?

However, I promise to let everyone know how it goes when I do.