Thread: US Firearms 6 shooters

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I'm looking to buy something to carry after I get a permit. I've always had a thing for the old western style SASS revolvers. I'm currently looking at USFA's "Rodeo" after reading a positive review about it on a Cowboy Shooter enthusiast web site. The reviewer claimed that the Rodeo was a good quality firearm for it's price. $550 MSRP. It comes in .38 and .45 cal with 5.5 inch bbl. Or I may go with the Rodeo II that comes in a 7.5" bbl. (I know, that's allot of barrel to have to pull out)

Has anyone had any experience with the USFA 6 shooters? I'm curious as to how good (dependable) they are.

I just can't get comfortable with the semi-autos or the double action revolvers. I had a .22 western style SA many years ago that I use to fast draw with, so I'm quite comfortable with the single actions. (No, I don't plan to do much fast draw with the higher cal. If the bullet don't get me, on a miss fire, the muzzle blast might burn a whole in my britches. LOL)

Post imported post

They are a good quality firearm, the SASS shooters seem to like using them. But time has definitely passed by the technology of the single action revolver for self-defense. Evenmost dedicatedCowboy Action shooters typically carry somethingmoremodernfor "social purposes", at least the ones I've known.

Post imported post

SA's are the ultimate OC statement!!

The USFA's aregreat for SASS/CAS/plinking. Don't throw any hot loads down it.....it's made for "cowboy" loads, like the original Colts. As for a defense weapon.....heck, it worked fine for Wyatt Earp!!

Check out Uberti and Beretta "stampede".....both are in wide use in the CASS arena as are the new Ruger vaqueros. I have two old model vaqueros in .44 mag that I use in the woods, with some pretty stiff loads that would rip a lesser firearm to pieces!

Get you a nice rig from "circle kb" or Bob Mernickle and you're set....

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I realize that the modern semi-auto's have several advantages over a single action 6 shot revolver. Fewer rounds in the weapon and slower reload time are probably the bigest drawbacks to the SA. But I figure, if I become as proficient with a .45 cal as I was with a .22LR, I might not need the extra rounds, if I only have to deal with one or 2 bad guys at a time.

At least, that's my theory, and I'm sticking with it.......... for now.

A statement? Yeah, I suppose the old Colt style "hawgleg" would be sort of "putting it out there" just a bit. But I don't have any intentions of waving it around to show off. And I may not carry it OC all the time either. And no, I'm not going to carry it in a gun slinger holster either:P, except here in the woods where I live. I'll probably holster it cross draw.

Post imported post

Hehe, I like my Hogleg.

open carry it every now and then.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

You got 3 defensive weapons in one there.

A shooter, if you don't have many misfires. (I hear the black powder guns aren't real reliable)

A club after you run out of ammo.

And a smoke screen to hide behind (if you use real black powder and not the smokeless stuff)

Post imported post

Exactly, and it's actually quite reliable, as long as you load it right.

Post imported post

Is their 1910 or 1911 any good?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

mrs269 wrote:
    Is their 1910 or 1911 any good?
    Are you asking aboutUS Firearms Semi-auto models? I don't know. I'm unfamiliar with USFA products, which is why I posted here for possible reviews of them.

Did you see their .22 cal model that looks like a 1911?

Post imported post

I saw that one too. I like the way their .45s look though. Too bad that .38 is not a .38 super.

Post imported post

mrs269 wrote:
    I saw that one too. I like the way their .45s look though. Too bad that .38 is not a .38 super.
    That is just a matter of perspective. I think my old .38 special is pretty super. Just sayin' .... :P
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

deepdiver wrote:
    mrs269 wrote:
    That is just a matter of perspective. I think my old .38 special is pretty super. Just sayin' .... :P
    Yep, they'll all put a hole in a body.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

mrs269 wrote:
    Better check the siteagain. It IS a Super .38

http://www.usfirearms.com/cat/super-38.asp