• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

US Firearms 6 shooters

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm looking to buy something to carry after I get a permit. I've always had a thing for the old western style SASS revolvers. I'm currently looking at USFA's "Rodeo" after reading a positive review about it on a Cowboy Shooter enthusiast web site. The reviewer claimed that the Rodeo was a good quality firearm for it's price. $550 MSRP. It comes in .38 and .45 cal with 5.5 inch bbl. Or I may go with the Rodeo II that comes in a 7.5" bbl. (I know, that's allot of barrel to have to pull out)

Has anyone had any experience with the USFA 6 shooters? I'm curious as to how good (dependable) they are.

I just can't get comfortable with the semi-autos or the double action revolvers. I had a .22 western style SA many years ago that I use to fast draw with, so I'm quite comfortable with the single actions. (No, I don't plan to do much fast draw with the higher cal. If the bullet don't get me, on a miss fire, the muzzle blast might burn a whole in my britches. LOL)

Brian D.

imported post

They are a good quality firearm, the SASS shooters seem to like using them. But time has definitely passed by the technology of the single action revolver for self-defense. Evenmost dedicatedCowboy Action shooters typically carry somethingmoremodernfor "social purposes", at least the ones I've known.

OBXMIKE

imported post

SA's are the ultimate OC statement!!

The USFA's aregreat for SASS/CAS/plinking. Don't throw any hot loads down it.....it's made for "cowboy" loads, like the original Colts. As for a defense weapon.....heck, it worked fine for Wyatt Earp!!

Check out Uberti and Beretta "stampede".....both are in wide use in the CASS arena as are the new Ruger vaqueros. I have two old model vaqueros in .44 mag that I use in the woods, with some pretty stiff loads that would rip a lesser firearm to pieces!

Get you a nice rig from "circle kb" or Bob Mernickle and you're set....

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I realize that the modern semi-auto's have several advantages over a single action 6 shot revolver. Fewer rounds in the weapon and slower reload time are probably the bigest drawbacks to the SA. But I figure, if I become as proficient with a .45 cal as I was with a .22LR, I might not need the extra rounds, if I only have to deal with one or 2 bad guys at a time.

At least, that's my theory, and I'm sticking with it.......... for now.

A statement? Yeah, I suppose the old Colt style "hawgleg" would be sort of "putting it out there" just a bit. But I don't have any intentions of waving it around to show off. And I may not carry it OC all the time either. And no, I'm not going to carry it in a gun slinger holster either:p, except here in the woods where I live. I'll probably holster it cross draw.

thx997303

imported post

Hehe, I like my Hogleg.

DSCN0952-1.jpg

open carry it every now and then.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You got 3 defensive weapons in one there.

A shooter, if you don't have many misfires. (I hear the black powder guns aren't real reliable)

A club after you run out of ammo.

And a smoke screen to hide behind (if you use real black powder and not the smokeless stuff)

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mrs269 wrote:
Is their 1910 or 1911 any good?

Are you asking aboutUS Firearms Semi-auto models? I don't know. I'm unfamiliar with USFA products, which is why I posted here for possible reviews of them.

Did you see their .22 cal model that looks like a 1911?