• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

County Courthouse... Can I carry on the grounds? The sidewalk?

AbNo

imported post

So, here's a question.... Harrisonburg court square, with its prestigious Rockingham County Court House, is the major cross-roads in this city, and this has me wondering...

Can I carry on and around the outside of the County Courthouse? I'm mainly talking about the sidewalk, and perhaps the lawn surrounding the building, and I'm not really concerned about going inside.

I honestly don't even know if anything is done at that court house anymore, at least in an official sense.

This is the main reason I was thinking about this: http://www.fridaysonthesquare.com/

In case anyone wants to see a picture...
http://www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc2885.php

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AbNo wrote:
So, here's a question.... Harrisonburg court square, with its prestigious Rockingham County Court House, is the major cross-roads in this city, and this has me wondering...

Can I carry on and around the outside of the County Courthouse? I'm mainly talking about the sidewalk, and perhaps the lawn surrounding the building, and I'm not really concerned about going inside.

I honestly don't even know if anything is done at that court house anymore, at least in an official sense.

This is the main reason I was thinking about this: http://www.fridaysonthesquare.com/

I'm too lazy to look up and post the code citation.

The prohibition is against carrying INSIDE a courthouse. Sidewalks are public spaces not controlled by the courthouse prohibition, even if the sidewalk is located around the perimiter of said courthouse. :idea:

Again - where is this paranoia coming from? (not just you AbNo - seems like more and more folks are getting a dose of it lately.)

stay safe.

skidmark

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

skidmark wrote:
AbNo wrote:

I'm too lazy to look up and post the code citation.

Gee skid, you never had trouble quoting code sections before.....

Let me help ya out this time.......

Here you go AbNo.........

§ 18.2-283.1. Carrying weapon into courthouse.

It shall be unlawful for any person to possess in or transport into any courthouse in this Commonwealth any (i) gun or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile or projectile of any kind, (ii) frame, receiver, muffler, silencer, missile, projectile or ammunition designed for use with a dangerous weapon and (iii) any other dangerous weapon, including explosives, stun weapons as defined in § 18.2-308.1, and those weapons specified in subsection A of § 18.2-308. Any such weapon shall be subject to seizure by a law-enforcement officer. A violation of this section is punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to any police officer, sheriff, law-enforcement agent or official, conservation police officer, conservator of the peace, magistrate, court officer, or judge while in the conduct of such person's official duties.

So, as long as you are not in possession inside the courthouse or stopped trying to transport in, you should be ok.

AbNo

imported post

skidmark wrote:
The prohibition is against carrying INSIDE a courthouse. Sidewalks are public spaces not controlled by the courthouse prohibition, even if the sidewalk is located around the perimeter of said courthouse. :idea:

Again - where is this paranoia coming from? (not just you AbNo - seems like more and more folks are getting a dose of it lately.)

So that would include the lawn around the building as well, then? It would certainly appear to be so from the code.

Where is this paranoia coming from? The fact it's easier to find out ahead of time, as opposed to through a carbon copy. ;)

And thank you for the specific code, Pro.

The other reason I ask is because Court Square is a well-traversed area, as opposed to going down lesser-populated streets and behind buildings. No sense in ducking down back alleys needlessly, right?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
skidmark wrote:
AbNo wrote:

So, as long as you are not in possession inside the courthouse or stopped trying to transport in, you should be ok.

Well Skidmark, considering the trouble he's had with the local PD, I'd say it was a real concern, not paranoia.

I know the area, grew up with the Commonwealths Attorney, the Circuit Court Judge is a good friend....and I can say with some certainty, that if he carries there, he'll draw a lot of attention he doesn't want.

So, is it legal....yep, sure is.
Will he be questioned.? I'd bet on it.
Will they go so far that he'll have a case against them? I doubt it.
Is it paranoia....no, it's a real concern.