• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Online Petion for Military SSN Privacy Would Help Veterans Using DOD ID for Gun Related Transactions

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

And if you have military related friends or family, send the petition link by email.

And by the way, if anyone objects to me hijacking my own web site, please know that thing SSN on military docs comes up in in many states - where gun dealers or police insist on copying the ID or SSN when presented for various gun related - of the police want an unredacted DD Form 214, etc.

I hope John does not ban me:?

rodbender

imported post

Mike wrote:
And if you have military related friends or family, send the petition link by email.

And by the way, if anyone objects to me hijacking my own web site, please know that thing SSN on military docs comes up in in many states - where gun dealers or police insist on copying the ID or SSN when presented for various gun related - of the police want an unredacted DD Form 214, etc.

I hope John does not ban me:?

Never in the military but I vote every chance I get.

Hope it was OK to sign.

Mike, I don't think you have a lot to worry about.

lukeshort

imported post

#13. We just had a discussion about this in my unit. It does seem absurd to hand over such information to foreign troops, especially non friendly, if ever the situation arose. But these day’s we are not even fighting legitimate troops, but people just as cunning and determined to destroy Americans and the west in general, without honor, be them uniformed or not.

I personally would like to see SS#’s stopped being used as an ID for all Americans. But I suppose we can start with the uniformed services and then help our cousins in the real world. I know more than a few service members that are willing to sign this. Believe me they will hear about this.

Who’s idea was it to use socials for ID< did it just melt into that like so many other customs we seem to have with our legal sysytem?

rodbender

imported post

lukeshort wrote:
Who’s idea was it to use socials for ID< did it just melt into that like so many other customs we seem to have with our legal sysytem?
I don't know how it emerged into an I.D. #. but when I got mine 40 years ago, on the back, the first thing it said was "Not for identification purposes" now it says "Do not laminate". What a difference.

lukeshort

imported post

rodbender wrote:
lukeshort wrote:
I don't know how it emerged into an I.D. #. but when I got mine 40 years ago, on the back, the first thing it said was "Not for identification purposes" now it says "Do not laminate". What a difference.
The times have changed, and not for the better. I feel like a numbered member in a herd of livestock sometimes. Moooooo!

rodbender

imported post

lukeshort wrote:
rodbender wrote:
lukeshort wrote:
The times have changed, and not for the better. I feel like a numbered member in a herd of livestock sometimes. Moooooo!
Baaaaaaaaa Baaaaaaaaaaaa

Thundar

imported post

Don't worry about the ssn link to firearms transactions. Real ID requires a ssn and BATFE will require Real ID for firearms transactions. Scary.

The use of electronic records instead of bound books for dealers is another bad omen.

As a vet I think military ssn privacy would be good thing. Problem is ssn privacy for anybody is being totally preempted by Real ID.

Legba

imported post

Dealers still have to keep printed "bound books" even if they use the e-4473 filing, and approved transactions result in the destruction of buyer information from what electronic records are created (we don't e-file for that reason - it's just a duplication of effort for us). Also, military IDs aren't by themselves sufficient to get a gun (neither is a passport, because neither establishes a state of residence). Further, giving your SS# on a 4473 is optional, so I don't see the problem, apart from giving your SS# to your captors, if it somes to that.

-ljp

N00blet45

imported post

I've always thought it kind of stupid. If I'm capture I'm supposed to give out my ID number, which is my SSN. So now I'm giving my SSN to terrorists? I hate SS altogether so a little step to remove it from daily life is better than the opposite.