• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Online Petion for Military SSN Privacy Would Help Veterans Using DOD ID for Gun Related Transactions

aircooledbusnut

imported post

# 132 - US Navy and Army National Guard - Veteran. I am currently in Afghanistan with the Troops. I will pass the information on to all at my current FOB location.

God Bless and Stay Armed

opusd2

imported post

I the Person wrote:
I signed it.

I'm really surprised that no one here has mentioned the incident from May 2006 where a laptop belonging to the VA, containing a database with personal info from "more than 26 million veterans", was stolen from the home of a VA employee during a burglary.

I remember being concerned about ID theft, and I received a letter from the VA alerting me to the possibility that my personal information had been compromised.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/08/vets.data/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/29/AR2006062900352.html

How secure is your SSN?: http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs10-ssn.htm

I think it was 2003-2004 where a laptop containing SSN's for TriCare were stolen and we were alerted so we could put safeties on our accounts in case someone wanted to get a loan in our name. Oh yeah, those numbers are completely safe . . .

Squeak

imported post

Mike wrote:
[url]http://www.PetitionOnline.com/NOSSN4ID[/url]

if you are military or military related, let's roll!
Just before I got out we were issued newdog tagsw/SSAN on them ;1969.I then worked for the DOD. They tried to put SSAN on our I.D.s which had to be worn in plain view. I fought that and won but security showed me an executive order signed by TPOTUS. Can't remember who it was that signed it. It stated that our SSAN CAN be used as I.D. because it was a # already established in the system. Now that could be the reason no service #'s are used; don't know for a fact. All my VA cards use only last 4. Letters and the such usually, but not always, use the full #. I don't know what it takes to change an excutive order, but my bet is, that is what we are up against. My fereral retirement card has SSAN on it, but to the best of my knowledge, I can have it removed. All the card is for is to show that I worked for the DOD, WHOOPIE!

Bustelo5%

imported post

What would happen if you tried to join the service and you dont have a ssn would the Gov be required to generate one for your service. I ask this question becuase I have a friend who dosent have one.
And also in the same respect do you need a SSN to purchase a gun at a gun store?

protias

imported post

Signed. My father served, so I assume I am covered under "family."

PaxMentis

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
#114 USN

I'm tryin' to remember when we went from Service Numbers to SSN's... 'Might have been '65 or '66. My Service Number was 539-26-66... (some things ya never forget). This was way before identity theft was a problem... or personal computers 'n the internet were invented. I'd highly recommend returning to Service Numbers.

I joined in '67 and they still had SNs (RA18847981)...

Signed