• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Midtown Wal-Mart

spyderdude

imported post

I seemed to have lost my other folding blade, so I decided to go to Wally World to buy a new one, all while OCing of course. I go inside and make my way to the sporting goods. So far nobody said a thing about the G17 in plain view on my right hip. I get to the sporting goods and there's a few employees behind the counter. I ask one of them if I could look at a Gerber they had on display, and he looked down at my spare mags and asked me...

"Why do you have two?"
"What, mags.... just in case"

Then he turns and asks the manager on duty there if I was allowed to carry a gun in the store like that. He looks at me and my pistol, and the conversation goe something like this...

Manager "That has to be concealed."
Me "Open carry is legal in Alaska."
Manager "I know that, but there are certain restrictions in the building, and you cannot have that gun like that."
Me "Open carry is legal in Alaska."
Manager "Well regardless you can't carry like that in here."
Me "I've done so several times here and nobody up to this point has said anything to me about it."

I proceed to quickly purchase the knife, and get out of there before there is anymore trouble with them. Then the manager has the nerve to follow me and I stop and look at him, and he looks at me.

Me "Why are you following me?"
Manager "Because you cannot have gun in store like that."
Me "Oh so now you're following me like I'm a criminal."

Nothing more is said, and I quickly leave. Once I walked outside I looked back to see if anyone was following me still, and there wasn't. I got in my car and left.

I've OCd there several times and never had any problems, but today was apparently different, so I won't be shopping there again.

Flintlock

imported post

He was probably a department manager or something. I would doubt he was the store manager, but I could be wrong. In any case, it is the policy of Wal Mart stores to honor state firearms law. This has been documented on so many firearm related web sites, it's absurd. If he says you cannot carry in there again, you should ask him to please let you speak with the store manager and when you do, ask him/her if you can see the store policy/regulation that pertains to the restriction of OC in their stores. When they say that theycan't provide that (because it doesn't exist), then you can respond by saying that they are pushing their own personal agenda on you that has nothing at all to do with store policy and everything to do with your civil rights being violated.

At that time, tell them you are feeling discriminated against and that you are being singled out and badgered because of a lack of knowledge of firearms laws and store policies and a misunderstanding or lack of respect for individual rights. Ask them what phone number to call to file an official complaint.

I bet if you do that, all will be good.

spyderdude

imported post

I just received a call from the store manager, and he apologized to me for the way I was treated. He informed me that he's a strong advocate of the 2nd Amendment, and told me that unless there is a customer complaint, the managers and associates can't really do anything. He did confirm that there is no written policy against customers carrying guns in the store, so apparently it was a lack of knowledge with the department manager in Sporting Goods.

Decoligny

imported post

spyderdude wrote:
I just received a call from the store manager, and he apologized to me for the way I was treated. He informed me that he's a strong advocate of the 2nd Amendment, and told me that unless there is a customer complaint, the managers and associates can't really do anything. He did confirm that there is no written policy against customers carrying guns in the store, so apparently it was a lack of knowledge with the department manager in Sporting Goods.

You should ask him what other corporate policies it is OK to violate as long as it is in response to a customer complaint.

Walmart Corporate Policy is to follow the laws of the State. It is not "follow the laws of the state unless someone complains".

akhunter3

imported post

spyderdude wrote:

Good to hear he appologized. I probably would have ripped the lovely little department manager a new one. I hate when people don't have a clue bout' the rules in a place where they work. Especially a problem so wide spread as this. You'd think of all places inAlaska they would make it very clear to their employees the policies regarding this?

Jon

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Decoligny wrote:
spyderdude wrote:

You should ask him what other corporate policies it is OK to violate as long as it is in response to a customer complaint.

Walmart Corporate Policy is to follow the laws of the State. It is not "follow the laws of the state unless someone complains".
Excuse me, Mr. Manager. I'd like you to ask that person to leave, he's making me uncomfortable. He's carrying concealed genitalia and could be a rapist.

Reno82

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
spyderdude wrote:

Walmart Corporate Policy is to follow the laws of the State.  It is not "follow the laws of the state unless someone complains".

spyderdud.. how did the store manager get your home phone#? Did you call and complain??

MetalChris

imported post

asforme wrote:
Excuse me, Mr. Manager. I'd like you to ask that person to leave, he's making me uncomfortable. He's carrying concealed genitalia and could be a rapist.
LoL!! :lol:

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
I like using the "Black man in a white neighborhood" analogy. Discrimination is discrimination. Period.
The difference is that I never said that he should take out his nose ring, pull his pants up, and take the blue dye out of his hair to come into Waltmart. Well, OK, maybe pull your pants up....

Nobody every said that it is the constitutional right to feel comfortable around everyone they meet in public. If my legally carried gun makes you nervous, then you leave. If your blue hair and nose ring makes me nervous, than I should leave...otherwise we should just leave the other alone and mind our business.
Exactly!