Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boise Idaho CC Issues

Post imported post

Question for all of you Boise Idaho residents. What has been your experience with Officers and your CCW or Open carry?

Post imported post

My experience has been positive. Got pulled over when I had a tail light out. When the officer got to the window I immediately said "before you go any further I need to tell you I have a CCW and am carrying". Officer said thanks and told me my tail light was out. Had me get out of the car (pistol was in the console between me and passenger seat) but other then that no problems.

Afterwards he said something to the effect of "I love people with CCW because before we pull them over we know they have gone through the steps to be legal and therefor are probably the good guys"

One other time years before that when I got pulled over and wasn't carrying a different officer said "why bother getting a permit if you aren't carrying"

In Ada County CCW training the Sherrif's Deputy giving the course pretty much flat out said "Please carry your weapon. Chances are you will never use it, but chances are if you have to the police aren't going to be there in time to do it for you."

State Researcher

Post imported post

Hubby, if it's concealed, you shouldn't have any issues as nobody knows you're carrying!

For the last ten years OCing in the Treasure Valley has largely been uneventful, but there are rare cases of harrasment by uninformed or grouchy law enforcement... thankfully it's relatively rare.

OC and CC to your heart's content!

Post imported post

Being a young guy, I'm surprised I haven't been hassled at all...and I hope the trend continues. :celebrate

Post imported post

-----

Post imported post

Wife and I have carried at various times, when we have seen a officer you see him or her looking hard. Smile and a nod or a wave while driving. Usually gets a nod back and they move on.

So no problems from them in the past year.

Probably a good thing my wife is with me.

Post imported post

I've never had a problems with local PD. I've been spotted many times by them. and barely got a second glance. just a smile and nod.

Post imported post

All of my experiences with BPD have been positive. (I say this even though some of my involvement with them has included being detained for over 2 hours)

My take is that the BPD is generally professional and genuinely interested in getting the law right. Through the efforts of the members of this forum, the BPD is well aware of both open and concealed carry laws and is fairly supportive overall.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Like I said. It varies depending on the officer. I've OCed down town on Friday night and no cops stopped or said anything as I walked around. I have had my share of not-pleasant and pleasant encounters... it's been a while for me personally, though friends still get harassed occasionally. But it's the exception, rather than the rule.

Post imported post

Hubby_MC wrote:
    Question for all of you Boise Idaho residents. What has been your experience with PBD Officers and your CCW or Open carry? My wife and I are new members of your forum, I happen to work in law enforcement and I would like to hear about your experiences good or bad in this arena!
    The local area police have been some of the best I've ever met. I meet mostly the county guys and all of the ones I have spoken to are not just aware of the legality, but support citizen carry. A few of them are a little cautious about the OC movement, and I've had several conversations about that with them. But certainly not anti-gun or anti self defense. Heck, it was the Boise PD who smoothed things out with the zoo when we ran into a snag getting in the gate!

Post imported post

Anybody ever carry to the Humane Society ? We are planning on going to the library this evening and then to drop off a couple boy cats for fixing..

Post imported post

BPD are some very professional officers....
    i enjoy interaction with them...no bad experiences..

Post imported post

---

Post imported post

The WC?

If you don't mind us asking, what department are you with? Welcome again to OCDO. We're glad to have an LEO on board. Nice to have a liaison who can bridge the gap a bit.

What are your views of open carry and what we're trying to accomplish here? Have you considered carrying openly yourself when off duty?

Post imported post

WC = Watch Commander

there are 3 watchs per day, 8 hr shifts, and for every watch/shift there is a Watch commander who is in charge when the Top dog is gone for the day.

Post imported post

LOL We had someone "overseeing" our event? I mean, they came out when responding to the initial call, but why didn't they leave afterwards? Observing legal activity doesn't seem to warrant extra scrutiny. Did they really think any of us were planning to do something with all those cameras around?

Anyways, yes, professional, but part of the reason we are open carrying is to normalize the practice. Not gain extra attention from the police, whom most of these members support and respect.

Post imported post

Watch Commander is the term for the LEO in charge at the station during the shift that day.

Just a title, not that he was assigned to "watch" over us.

Post imported post

double posted

Post imported post

Agreed about the title. I mean the fact the they stayed just outside the gate until we left. Seems like the call should have been cleared long before we left.

Post imported post

I look at it as he was there to protect us from any mob of angry, rabid hippies that might cause a problem for us.

Who knows he may have just used a taser on a out of control hippie. I would have paid good money to see that!

Post imported post

ROFL

Well, I expect some extra scrutiny as we get the ball rolling here, but hopefully it will be something people shrug at eventually.

Post imported post

IndianaBoy79 wrote:
    LOL We had someone "overseeing" our event? I mean, they came out when responding to the initial call, but why didn't they leave afterwards? Observing legal activity doesn't seem to warrant extra scrutiny. Did they really think any of us were planning to do something with all those cameras around?

Anyways, yes, professional, but part of the reason we are open carrying is to normalize the practice. Not gain extra attention from the police, whom most of these members support and respect.
    Not meant in that spirit at all. The watch commander is like a fireman, he goes to the most urgent issue at that particular moment to oversee or "watch over" the actions of our officers. A field supervisor. I work for BPD.

I couldnt agree more with you! Officers wouldnt have even been there without calls from the zoo. They are of course required to go to any call regardless of its validity.

I am more than pleased that you had this event, and that it received media coverage. Without this I probably wouldnt have known about the forum and the activities you participate in!

God Bless America

Although I work in Law Enforcement I wish to make it clear that I do NOT speak for my particular Law Enforcement agency in this regard, but rather speak from my own experience and curiousity!

Post imported post

As hubbys Wife i happen to agree with him we didnt even know about the fourms here till we seen it on the news. thank you all for giving us a place to talk and learn more. i will be posting more offten now that i have it booke marked

Post imported post

Glad to have you both here. Idaho happens to be the best state in the nation. We seem to have less problems here with people and LEOs than around the country. Most every officer we run into is at least respectful, even if they don't understand why we are OCing. Thanks for joining up.

BTW, if you happen to see Officer Hancuff (I asked permission to use his name), ask him if he's seen the news lately. I've posted about him on this forum in the past and he was well aware of our event beforehand.

Post imported post

Will do, casey is a great guy!, did he tell you about his pom poms?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast