• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Boise Idaho CC Issues

Hubby_MC

imported post

Question for all of you Boise Idaho residents. What has been your experience with Officers and your CCW or Open carry?

Domandred

imported post

My experience has been positive. Got pulled over when I had a tail light out. When the officer got to the window I immediately said "before you go any further I need to tell you I have a CCW and am carrying". Officer said thanks and told me my tail light was out. Had me get out of the car (pistol was in the console between me and passenger seat) but other then that no problems.

Afterwards he said something to the effect of "I love people with CCW because before we pull them over we know they have gone through the steps to be legal and therefor are probably the good guys"

One other time years before that when I got pulled over and wasn't carrying a different officer said "why bother getting a permit if you aren't carrying"

In Ada County CCW training the Sherrif's Deputy giving the course pretty much flat out said "Please carry your weapon. Chances are you will never use it, but chances are if you have to the police aren't going to be there in time to do it for you."

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Hubby, if it's concealed, you shouldn't have any issues as nobody knows you're carrying! ;)

For the last ten years OCing in the Treasure Valley has largely been uneventful, but there are rare cases of harrasment by uninformed or grouchy law enforcement... thankfully it's relatively rare.

OC and CC to your heart's content!

Navajo

imported post

Wife and I have carried at various times, when we have seen a officer you see him or her looking hard. Smile and a nod or a wave while driving. Usually gets a nod back and they move on.

So no problems from them in the past year.

Probably a good thing my wife is with me.

imported post

I've never had a problems with local PD. I've been spotted many times by them. and barely got a second glance. just a smile and nod.

Saint

imported post

All of my experiences with BPD have been positive. (I say this even though some of my involvement with them has included being detained for over 2 hours)

My take is that the BPD is generally professional and genuinely interested in getting the law right. Through the efforts of the members of this forum, the BPD is well aware of both open and concealed carry laws and is fairly supportive overall.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Like I said. It varies depending on the officer. I've OCed down town on Friday night and no cops stopped or said anything as I walked around. I have had my share of not-pleasant and pleasant encounters... it's been a while for me personally, though friends still get harassed occasionally. But it's the exception, rather than the rule.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Hubby_MC wrote:
Question for all of you Boise Idaho residents. What has been your experience with PBD Officers and your CCW or Open carry? My wife and I are new members of your forum, I happen to work in law enforcement and I would like to hear about your experiences good or bad in this arena!
The local area police have been some of the best I've ever met. I meet mostly the county guys and all of the ones I have spoken to are not just aware of the legality, but support citizen carry. A few of them are a little cautious about the OC movement, and I've had several conversations about that with them. But certainly not anti-gun or anti self defense. Heck, it was the Boise PD who smoothed things out with the zoo when we ran into a snag getting in the gate!

Navajo

imported post

Anybody ever carry to the Humane Society ? We are planning on going to the library this evening and then to drop off a couple boy cats for fixing..

IndianaBoy79

imported post

The WC?

If you don't mind us asking, what department are you with? Welcome again to OCDO. We're glad to have an LEO on board. Nice to have a liaison who can bridge the gap a bit.

What are your views of open carry and what we're trying to accomplish here? Have you considered carrying openly yourself when off duty?

imported post

WC = Watch Commander

there are 3 watchs per day, 8 hr shifts, and for every watch/shift there is a Watch commander who is in charge when the Top dog is gone for the day.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

LOL We had someone "overseeing" our event? I mean, they came out when responding to the initial call, but why didn't they leave afterwards? Observing legal activity doesn't seem to warrant extra scrutiny. Did they really think any of us were planning to do something with all those cameras around?

Anyways, yes, professional, but part of the reason we are open carrying is to normalize the practice. Not gain extra attention from the police, whom most of these members support and respect.

Navajo

imported post

Watch Commander is the term for the LEO in charge at the station during the shift that day.

Just a title, not that he was assigned to "watch" over us.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Agreed about the title. I mean the fact the they stayed just outside the gate until we left. Seems like the call should have been cleared long before we left.

Navajo

imported post

I look at it as he was there to protect us from any mob of angry, rabid hippies that might cause a problem for us.

Who knows he may have just used a taser on a out of control hippie. I would have paid good money to see that!