• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Tech Survey

vt357

imported post

When I was a student at VT I participated in the student police academy. It was a lot of fun and I spent 2 nights a week for 6 weeks with the officers. (Contrary to popular opinion Virginia Tech has a fully accredited police department with a SWAT team - they aren't just a ragtag campus security force.) Because of this I occasionally receive emails regarding public relations issues between the force and the public. Today I received a survey about campus security. I figure everyone might enjoy hearing my responses. The issue of concealed carry on campus has seemed to be pretty quiet recently (as it's the summer and colleges are on summer break). So I thought I might bring it back up to front of everyone's minds.

1 - What would have made you feel safer during your time on campus?

I must say I take issue with the idea of "feeling safer." That is a phrase that Larry Hincker used when a certain bill was killed in the General Assembly several years ago. Helping students "feel safe" is the opposite of what should be done. By "feeling safe" people assume that they inherently "are safe." They become complacent and walk around like nothing could ever hurt them - or expecting someone else to take care of them as if they were still a child.

I have nothing but praise for the VT Police Department. But their great performance aside, an officer cannot be everywhere at once. In a situation of dire distress, the nearest officer will be 60 seconds away in the best case. Citizens are responsible for their own safety. Students are citizens and adults, therefore they are also responsible for their own safety. Prohibiting students with concealed handgun permits from legally carrying on campus does nothing but remove one of the most effect tools for self defense from their playbook. I advocated for this change both on campus and to my legislators long before the April 16 tragedy.

I personally would have felt much safer (and I believe been much safer) if I had been allowed to carry my concealed firearm without risking expulsion. I legally and safely carried my firearm every day off campus with my concealed handgun permit as allowed by Virginia law.

2 - What would have made your feel safer off-campus?

I felt fairly safe off campus. But I also chose to be proactive in my security by not walking around Blacksburg stone cold drunk at all hours of the night. The very few times I was drinking, I stayed where I was until sober or had a designated driver. I also carried a concealed firearm for my protection (when not drinking of course). I never needed to use it. And with the exception of the Morva incident, I never truly felt like I needed to have it either. Though I also never got into a car accident. I didn't usually feel like I needed my seatbelt. But regardless of what the law could have said, I always wore my seatbelt.

3 - What is a way to communicate with students that students would use?

Text messaging on their cell phones is the fastest way to reach students. While many people have their cellphones silenced during class, there will be enough with their phones on vibrate or not turned off to get a message out during an emergency.

4 - If you could create anything, what would you create to make students safer, or feel that way.

For students to actually be safe I think they should be encouraged to take control of their security. That should include classes or training on situational awareness, personal self defense, and avoiding situations where there is increased risk of being a victim. I know the VTPD currently has a class such as this for women. This class should be promoted on a much broader scale at the University. Both men and women can benefit from this type of training.

I think Benjamin Franklin set the standard for making people safer. "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety." We live in a free country, and with that freedom comes some inherent risk. If you don't want the risk, then you can't have the freedom either. And to quote a great Virginian "Give me liberty, or give me death."

Sincerely,
VT357
Class of 06

mitchd

imported post

Very well written.

I wonder why, as a 25 year old responsible citizen and veteran, I am not allowed means with which to defend myself on campus. It's amazing what a couple hundred feet and a desire to further my education reduces me to.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

vt357 wrote:
(Contrary to popular opinion Virginia Tech has a fully accredited police department with a SWAT team - they aren't just a ragtag campus security force.)

Ah, well that explains why they were forming a perimeter for two hours while the shooter was busy walking around campus. Security guards might have actually attempted to save lives. :quirky

AbNo

imported post

marshaul wrote:
vt357 wrote:
(Contrary to popular opinion Virginia Tech has a fully accredited police department with a SWAT team - they aren't just a ragtag campus security force.)

Ah, well that explains why they were forming a perimeter for two hours while the shooter was busy walking around campus. Security guards might have actually attempted to save lives. :quirky
22511qg6.jpg

Yellow Flag! Marshaul!

Don't start the bashing already, jeez.

VT, excellent response to that survey. I'd LOVE to see what they have to say to that. :D

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well done, VT357. I hope that you get some sort of feedback from them on the matter. Be interesting if they publish any of the results of their little survey although I am skeptical that the pro-2A opinions many alumni are sure to have will be given the creedence they deserve.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Actually, I'm going to have to protest your "yellow flag." :p

I am careful to avoid bashing on the OCDO forums. My post was not bashing, rather criticizing specific actions of certain officers. I made no general statements about the police one way or the other.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

marshaul wrote:

I am careful to avoid bashing on the OCDO forums. My post was not bashing, rather criticizing specific actions of certain officers. I made no general statements about the police one way or the other.
Red%20flag.jpg
Red%20flag.jpg
Red%20flag.jpg
Red%20flag.jpg
On field conference = Yellow flag was not for bashing but for straying off thread - not serious, intentional infraction though - that's why no red flag. :)

vt357 - excellant response - most interested in any reply you should receive.

Yata hey

Thundar

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
marshaul wrote:

Red%20flag.jpg
Red%20flag.jpg
Red%20flag.jpg
Red%20flag.jpg
On field conference = Yellow flag was not for bashing but for straying off thread - not serious, intentional infraction though - that's why no red flag. :)

Yata hey
Red flags Yata hey? We have yellow flags for lack of Citation. We have yellow cardsas a warningand red cards to eject. What is a red flag for?

vt357 great post.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Thundar wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
marshaul wrote:

Red%20flag.jpg
Red%20flag.jpg
Red%20flag.jpg
Red%20flag.jpg

Yata hey
Red flags Yata hey? We have yellow flags for lack of Citation. We have yellow cardsas a warningand red cards to eject. What is a red flag for?

vt357 great post.
It's what you wave in front of the bull to get his attention - gotcha!:lol:

Yata hey