• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greetings to everyone

Bebop

imported post

I wanted to say hello, share my first OC story and ask a question.

The first time I OC'ed was this weekend while running some errands. Figured a good place to start would be the grocery store where I normally go and am happy to say that there was no incident. I also carried into the Olive Garden around 120th and Washington got a few looks but no one said anything. I am taking the class to get my CCP but until then will probably OC everywhere I can.:celebrate

My question is about OC'ing while getting your hair cut. My gut reaction would be that it's not ok because when they put the bib over you your gun is then concealed but since you were not the one who put that article over you could it be legal? I ask because I was going to get my hair cut but they were closed so I didn't have to deal with that conundrum. Thanks.

denwego

imported post

Welcome to OCDO!

In Colorado, if your pistol were not visible due to it being covered by the smock at a barber's shop, it would be considered concealed and therefore illegal without a permit. It phrases it as "knowingly and unlawfully" (CRS 18-12-105); since you would "knowingly" be allowing your gun to be covered, it would be the same as intentionally concealing it under your shirt. Thankfully, you don't have to worry about that in your car, with it being hidden between the seat and center console, etc, but on foot it's one of the most irritating things about not having a CHP in CO. Sorry it couldn't be a better answer!

Bebop

imported post

No better answer necessary now I don't have to think about it when I am planning to get my hair cut. But with the "knowingly and unlawfully" part of that wouldn't it stand to reasonthat If your gun happened to be concealed due to much moving around or what notand the shirt happens to cover the gun and a cop notices just then that it would not be illegal due to you not knowing that your gun was covered. Don't get me wrong I check to make sure that my shirt isn't covering the gun from time to time, I am probably justdiving into the "what if" situation too much.

TheDuellist

imported post

My family barber in Kentucky has a shotgun in there with him. Not that he's ever had to use it in our small town. I miss having him cut my hair andhe stops mid-sentence to spit his tobacco. Good times...

Welcome to the forums and good onya for OC'ing!

SANDCREEK

imported post

It would seem reasonable to me to assume that when a person sits down in the BARBER's chair that the barber is CONTROLLING THE SITUATION - on premises under HIS/HER control.

You - the customer getting your haircut - are relenquishing control to the barber while in the chair.The barber is ALLOWING you to conceal on private property.Are we "splitting hairs" here. (how cool a pun is that)

Good question though, but I can't conceive of any reasonable LEO takingexception to "concealment" under such circumstances- if he/she was next in line for a haircut when you were "uncovered". I would just clarify the issue with the barber shop operator- that it's his/her "call"- after all you don't want your 1911 full of hair fuzz.

OC is not something I would engage in "casually" in Colorado. OC is a "performance" in view of the general public, and potentially LEO's who may be legally challenged, rendering OC subject to critical reviews.

If I detected that I was being followed bya law enforcement unit subsequent to an OC event - I would stop somewhere very "public" and give the LEO an opportunity to make contact where there were plenty of witnesses.

There has been at least one case in CO where rogue LEO's followed2 OC'ers out of city limits , pulled them over and "taught them a lesson" for daring to excercise their civil right in "THEIR" jurisdiction. They were handcuffed, slamed on the ground, and reprimanded for their "inappropriate" behavior, then released.

Merely experiencing "surprise" , or feeling "uncomfortable" at the sight of a holstered side-arm DOESNOT constitute "ALARM ! ". "Inappropriatness" is a subjective value the application of which should be confined toone's private circles, orhome - not the public square. Plus WE have to have evidenced some level of conduct in a MANNERCALCULATED (with INTENT) to alarm.

If possible get names of witnesses to the fact that "button pusher" demonstrated no behavior consistent with being ALARMED. I would suggest OC'ing with at least one other person until acceptance level rises. A witness to corroborate the FACTSis always priceless.